Another Lazarus

Old Newbie
Sep 19, 2013
✟49,808.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why would Jesus be sacrificed to death on the cross if reincarnation gives mankind an endless chance to be rebirthed ? If thats true then Jesus was sacrificed for no good.

The teacher of reincarnation were just a sinful man bound to die and he couldnt escape it.
However, Jesus resurrection has shown the world that God is able to defeat Death and also the believers in Him shall all be resurrected and be gathered with Him forever and ever.

1 Peter 2:24 “He himself bore our sins” in his body on the cross, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; “by his wounds you have been healed.

John 2:20 "This temple took forty-six years to build," the Jews replied, "and You are going to raise it up in three days?"

Matt 16:21 From that time on Jesus began to show His disciples that He must go to Jerusalem and suffer many things at the hands of the elders, chief priests, and scribes, and that He must be killed and on the third day be raised to life.

1 Thes 4:16 For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first.
Hebrew 9:27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:

There's no second chance, deceased people are judged at the end of this world.
Rev 20:12 12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

Dies irae
dies illa
Solvet saeclum in favilla:
Teste David cum Sybilla.
Quantus tremor est futurus
Quando judex est venturus
Cuncta stricte discussurus!

Day of wrath
that day
Earth will be in ashes:
As David and Sybil witness.
How great the tremors will be
When the judge comes
To examine everything strictly!

Last edited:

Zoness

667, neighbor of the beast
Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
I confess I guess I'm not sure I understand this thread. Are you addressing someone in particular? I can't speak for people who believei in reincarnation, but if you're not Christian (like much of this subforum) then you already presumably don't believe in Christianity's central tenets so you're not exactly concerned with how Christian doctrine feels about your beliefs.

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I think the Nicene Creed says
For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate;
he suffered death and was buried.
On the third day he rose again
in accordance with the Scriptures
English versions of the Nicene Creed - Wikipedia

So it was "for our sake" and "in accordance with the Scriptures". Theoretically, those beliefs could coexist with belief in reincarnation IMO

Reactions: CrystalDragon
Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Why would Jesus be sacrificed to death on the cross if reincarnation gives mankind an endless chance to be rebirthed ? If thats true then Jesus was sacrificed for no good.

The teacher of reincarnation were just a sinful man bound to die and he couldnt escape it.
However, Jesus resurrection has shown the world that God is able to defeat Death and also the believers in Him shall all be resurrected and be gathered with Him forever and ever.

1 Peter 2:24 “He himself bore our sins” in his body on the cross, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; “by his wounds you have been healed.

John 2:20 "This temple took forty-six years to build," the Jews replied, "and You are going to raise it up in three days?"

Matt 16:21 From that time on Jesus began to show His disciples that He must go to Jerusalem and suffer many things at the hands of the elders, chief priests, and scribes, and that He must be killed and on the third day be raised to life.

1 Thes 4:16 For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first.

In a way, I feel like willing reincarnation—not "you have to reincarnate over and over again because of karma" variety, but the "reincarnate because you want to experience life on Earth again" variety—is the most just form of afterlife. If we have that option, then we can incarnate on Earth again if we wish, experience what the Earth is like then, see what new things people have invented, etc, and then, if we want to, we can go to heaven once we feel like we've seen enough of Earth.

Otherwise, the only option is that we get one Earth life—some of which are short and agonizing—and while some will go to heaven, others will be tortured in a burning sadistic evil fire for all eternity. The latter of which supposedly being a consequence for something as simple as "growing up in the wrong religion" or "using the brain that God gave you to determine something that would cause one to be agnostic, atheist, or non-Christian", or "not seeing enough convincing evidence to believe that the God of the Bible exist when God knows for a fact what would convince them".

Upvote 0

Silmarien

Existentialist
Feb 24, 2017
New York
✟215,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The religions that teach reincarnation generally revolve around escaping the cycle, so if any theoretical cycle of reincarnation is just another chain that was snapped by the Atonement, I see no difficulty in reconciling the two. Theologically speaking, at least.

Upvote 0

Sarah G

Pro-peace, anti-war, anti-violence.
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2017
Netherlands
✟131,322.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If we see Jesus Christ as a guru, or let me say the Ultimate Guru, then our sin prior to taking initiation of Him (or accepting Him as our Saviour) is burnt up by His sacrifice of crucifixion. However, any sin we commit after accepting Him as our Saviour still gives us a karmic reaction if we fail to repent. So, we wouldn't really be fit for the spiritual realm if all we have done is get 'saved' at summer camp and then go on to commit sin without really repenting of it. Not being fit for the spiritual realm we re-incarnate to a suitable situation to continue and hopefully not make such a hash of it. We might be reborn into a Christian family of varying degrees of sincerity and purity depending on our actions in our previous 'Christian' life.

Maybe it could work like that, if one were inclined to think that way.

Reactions: cloudyday2
Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟732,615.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
I have absolutely no idea what happens after the death of the body. I guess I'll find out when that time comes.

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
Why would Jesus be sacrificed to death on the cross if reincarnation gives mankind an endless chance to be rebirthed ? If thats true then Jesus was sacrificed for no good ... However, Jesus resurrection has shown the world that God is able to defeat Death and also the believers in Him shall all be resurrected and be gathered with Him forever and ever.
I have no reason to believe that Jesus ever existed, that he was sacrificed, or that he resurrected - I guess I haven't been shown.

However, I can see rebirth for myself. (Note that I speak of rebirth, not of reincarnation)

Upvote 0

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,241,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
Personally, I don't see a contradiction between Jesus dying on the cross and the concept of reincarnation. But I suppose it would depend on what the purpose for reincarnation is, as well as how one perceives the purpose for his dying on the cross.

I see reincarnation as something that could be voluntary, for the sake of experiencing whatever a particular world has to offer, rather than as a compulsory cycle of karmic payback for wrongdoings committed in previous lives.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟651,624.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
Personally, I don't see a contradiction between Jesus dying on the cross and the concept of reincarnation. But I suppose it would depend on what the purpose for reincarnation is, as well as how one perceives the purpose for his dying on the cross.

I see reincarnation as something that could be voluntary, for the sake of experiencing whatever a particular world has to offer, rather than as a compulsory cycle of karmic payback for wrongdoings committed in previous lives.

Did you choose to be born?

Upvote 0

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,241,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
Did you choose to be born?
There's just as much of a chance that I did choose to be born as there is that I didn't. It's just that it's commonly assumed that we didn't, so that's the narrative most people default to.

Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟651,624.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
There's just as much of a chance that I did choose to be born as there is that I didn't. It's just that it's commonly assumed that we didn't, so that's the narrative most people default to.

Well, the story goes, that the soul does not want to leave the palace,
the Godly part of the soul, will say,

Which is why it longs for home,

I believe in reincarnation of the soul,

but not voluntary,

Reactions: Sarah G
Upvote 0

Another Lazarus

Old Newbie
Sep 19, 2013
✟49,808.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have no reason to believe that Jesus ever existed,

Jesus could kill the people who crucified Him easily but He let it happen to show how He defeats death.

There's no second chance, deceased people are judged at the end of this world.
Rev 20:12 12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

The deceased shall be raised from dust for fair judgment from God.
Dies irae
dies illa
Solvet saeclum in favilla:
Teste David cum Sybilla.
Quantus tremor est futurus
Quando judex est venturus
Cuncta stricte discussurus!

Day of wrath
that day
Earth will be in ashes:
As David and Sybil witness.
How great the tremors will be
When the judge comes
To examine everything strictly!

Upvote 0

Arthra

Baha'i
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
✟71,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Why would Jesus be sacrificed to death on the cross if reincarnation gives mankind an endless chance to be rebirthed ? If thats true then Jesus was sacrificed for no good. The teacher of reincarnation were just a sinful man bound to die and he couldnt escape it.

Lazarus...

Interesting. I guess there were some Christians that maybe believed in re-incarnation... but I don't happen to believe in it that the soul goes back into another body somehow and gets re-incarnated. For me Jesus crucifixion was His martyrdom and a sacrifice as it happened around the Passover .. symbolically the Passover lamb:

12:27 That ye shall say, It is the sacrifice of the LORD's passover, who passed over the houses of the children of Israel in Egypt, when he smote the Egyptians, and delivered our houses. And the people bowed the head and worshipped.

(King James Bible, Exodus)

Jesus commended His Spirit to God and in my belief was spiritually resurrected

23:46 And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, he gave up the ghost.

(King James Bible, Luke)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sarah G

Pro-peace, anti-war, anti-violence.
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2017
Netherlands
✟131,322.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Another Lazarus

Old Newbie
Sep 19, 2013
✟49,808.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I never saw Jesus or saw for myself how he defeated death!

You need to humble yourself first, many people dont even looking for God so how would people understand ?

Psalm 53:2 God looks down from heaven on all mankind to see if there are any who understand, any who seek God.
3. Every one of them has turned aside; together they have become corrupt; There is no one who does good, not even one.

• Agree
Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
bits of truth may serve to create grander lies.

reincarnation is like the fear of the wrath of God in that they are both reactionary social constructs that were created to cause evil people to fear consequences of how they are... because evil doers don't care about following the law unless the law punishes them in some way.

other forms of rebirth are simply atheism with a bit of flavor of an impersonal God that does not care about you at all seeing that you are merely for the sake of his whim and personal pleasure or an effect of his boredom or curiosity.

they think that when you die you are only rebirthed in the sense that you are the universe and so all things are you. in effect the universe and you as a creature are impersonal because they believe they come from an impersonal universe and the universe and God are basically identical to them. those people don't believe that souls are divine seeds and are such for the sake of an infinite purpose seeing that that is where they come from. they don't seem to believe God as a personality and humans as a personality have any real and fundamental meaning.

reincarnation could be real but there are so many spirits and so few bodies in this limited world that I don't know why you would have more privilege over others to come to this place again unless reality exist as some kind of infinite multiverse or that reality is so weird that we have no clue how it really is.

Last edited:
Reactions: cloudyday2
Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
You need to humble yourself first, many people dont even looking for God so how would people understand ?

Psalm 53:2 God looks down from heaven on all mankind to see if there are any who understand, any who seek God.
3. Every one of them has turned aside; together they have become corrupt; There is no one who does good, not even one.
How did God reveal Jesus and prove that he defeated death to you, after humbling yourself?

Upvote 0