pinkjess

There she goes...at the speed of sound
Feb 24, 2009
✟85,038.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
why do I need people? I have such a deep aching need to be understood and connected, but I am finding no one will ever flood my soul the way I desire to be known. It's hard to explain in words. I have something inside that longs to be touched that no one can reach, and I don't think I want them to. People have hurt me in the past. I cannot trust anyone and my social anxiety is fierce.

So my problem is, why should I even try to form deep connections with humans if they will all just leave me empty and lonely when I can just have God? Is it possible to go thru life with just you and the Lord? I can't see myself ever being comfortable being vulnerable with anyone again. At least not for a looooong time, once I can afford intensive counselling

This loneliness I feel almost threatens to consume me. It hurts. I've done a good job stifling it with distraction but my devices are failing. I'm reaching out to God for help. I think He is bringing this issue to me for attention. This hurts. I have so much to work on. I can't form relationships or keep them. I never feel connected to anyone on a satisfying level. Are we supposed to, or do we get that "ache" satisfied by God alone?

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
why do I need people? I have such a deep aching need to be understood and connected, but I am finding no one will ever flood my soul the way I desire to be known. It's hard to explain in words. I have something inside that longs to be touched that no one can reach, and I don't think I want them to. People have hurt me in the past. I cannot trust anyone and my social anxiety is fierce.

So my problem is, why should I even try to form deep connections with humans if they will all just leave me empty and lonely when I can just have God? Is it possible to go thru life with just you and the Lord? I can't see myself ever being comfortable being vulnerable with anyone again. At least not for a looooong time, once I can afford intensive counselling

This loneliness I feel almost threatens to consume me. It hurts. I've done a good job stifling it with distraction but my devices are failing. I'm reaching out to God for help. I think He is bringing this issue to me for attention. This hurts. I have so much to work on. I can't form relationships or keep them. I never feel connected to anyone on a satisfying level. Are we supposed to, or do we get that "ache" satisfied by God alone?
John's First Epistle has a strong theme of fellowship: fellowship with the Father and with His Son Jesus Christ, and fellowship of Christians with one another. It's a short but profound Epistle of 5 chapters which would help and challenge and guide you. :)

• Agree
Reactions: royal priest
Upvote 0

GraceBro

Eternally Forgiven, Alive, and Secure.
Dec 24, 2017
Central Coast
Visit site
✟103,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

So my problem is, why should I even try to form deep connections with humans if they will all just leave me empty and lonely when I can just have God? Is it possible to go thru life with just you and the Lord? I can't see myself ever being comfortable being vulnerable with anyone again. At least not for a looooong time, once I can afford intensive counseling

The needs you have were put there by God, but can only be filled through your relationship with Jesus Christ. All of us have the desire for unconditional love, total acceptance, meaning and purpose to our lives. Another human being cannot meet those needs. God designed us in such a way that only He can meet those needs. When He is meeting those needs, you will then engage the world, and the people in it, with what you have to share with it, not what you hope to get from it. This will change your personal relationships.
Living God Ministries - The Lamp of God

• Informative
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

.Mikha'el.

7x13=28
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
May 22, 2004
British Columbia
✟1,007,469.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

No, we don't get that ache satisfied by Him alone, but He does bring people into our lives that can help fill that void. Telling a lonely person to spend more time with God is to tell a hungry person with a chocolate craving to eat broccoli. It might satisfy the immediate need for food temporarily, but in the long term just make the craving worse. It's also true that we need a variety of people to fill various roles in our lives. Having a million platonic friends can never make the longing for that special sweetie ever totally vanish. With all that being said, make sure you're regularly bringing your loneliness in prayer to the Father. He already knows what you want and need, but He also likes it when you tell him. :) And you can always shoot me a PM if you want someone to talk to.

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Finding friends can be tough. Yes, God is our greatest friend, but I believe that He also gives us other people, too. Saint Paul the Apostle trusted in Christ above all and loved Him dearly, but was also greatly comforted by friends and fellow Christians. We are also meant to love and share with other humans.

What about taking some baby steps and joining a fellowship group at church?

Upvote 0

Monna

Feb 5, 2017
Oicha Beni
✟105,254.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
why do I need people?

You are created for fellowship. You are a social being.

My personal background is central Africa where the widespread philosophy of Ubuntu maintains that we find our true identity in community "I am because you are, because we are." We are who we are through our relationships. This is one reason why when interpersonal relationships are bruised or damaged we feel so terribly hurt. No doubt this is also why love is so wonderful yet sometimes so painful.

Many Christians (especially those who have been hurt by other people) find their relationship with God is so important. Yet my experience is that it is God himself who emphasises my need to interact with other people - not to isolate myself, as I often would prefer to do. If we are to love one another, and if "love is a verb" then we must interact with others. He has implanted talents or 'gifts' in all of us. He wants us to develop these and use them to contribute to the encouragement and strengthening of the "Body of Christ."

Do you know what your gift is? Perhaps if you know it (or can identify it) you will find something constructive you can bring to a group of believers. Usually your gift is something that you're relatively good at and that you enjoy doing. So it isn't all that hard (mentally) to work on in and use it. Doing so may also lead to points of contact and real friendship with others.

Keep close to your Lord; he will not let you down though he may challenge you. He sees positive things in you that you may not see yourself, and he really wants to see you grow. May he bless you.

• Friendly
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

iEye

Captain
Feb 7, 2018
the Southwest
✟1,541.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
39EA7DC2-54A2-4556-9343-AA858E8128B5.jpeg

The current system of solitary confinement was derived originally from the Pennsylvania model which was characterized by "isolation and seclusion." [5]Evidence has shown that Quakers and Calvinists supported solitary confinement as an alternative form of punishment. At the time it was meant to provide a prisoner with solitude “to reflect on his misdeeds” and restore his relationship with God.[5][13]

Upvote 0

Maervince

Feb 17, 2018
Binan City
✟10,169.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Woah we're almost the same. I also do have a hard time trusting people because of the hurt that my previous relationships have caused...and most of the time my solution is to forget about people and just focus on God.

But in the Bible I know that this is also wrong. The greatest commandment according to Jesus is not just to love the Lord, but also to love your neighbor. And actually according to Hebrews 6:10, you show your love for God when you love the people around you.

I'll pray that the Lord will heal your heart from the hurts you've experienced. I pray that God will make you more open not just to a relationship with Him, but also with other people.

Reactions: Spherical
Upvote 0

Monna

Feb 5, 2017
Oicha Beni
✟105,254.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

There is a kind of longing, an "ache" that only God can satisfy. "Just as a deer longs for running streams,
so my heart aches in longing for you, oh God. I am desperately thirsty for God, for the living God!
" (Psalm 42).

I think at times that many people smother this deep ache with myriads of other activities. "Cover the longing by keeping busy" seems to be a common thing today. And this is how we avoid the work of building relationships with others. I hope sincerely for you Jess, (and for myself) that you will meet some people with whom you can develop strong and mutually supportive relationships. But in the meantime, perhaps you can focus your attention on the Lord Jesus, let him fill you with his love, his confidence in you, his belief in you (read 1 Cor 13 as if it is him talking to you, telling you how he wants to be understood by you). Remember he also has experienced what it's like to be abandoned by friends - and even by his Father. (I think he recited Psalm 42 to himself while he was hanging on the cross - he certainly would have memorized it as a boy.)

May he draw you close and ease your pain.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

gym_class_hero

Dec 31, 2016
state of grace
✟122,169.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
we all need love and acceptance from others. But longterm peace comes from our relationship with God, which enables us to enjoy our human relationships more fully and also gives us the wisdom to discern the differences between real love and the kind of love the world promotes.

Upvote 0

pinkjess

Feb 24, 2009
✟85,038.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
The needs you have were put there by God, but can only be filled through your relationship with Jesus Christ. All of us have the desire for unconditional love, total acceptance, meaning and purpose to our lives. Another human being cannot meet those needs. God designed us in such a way that only He can meet those needs. When He is meeting those needs, you will then engage the world, and the people in it, with what you have to share with it, not what you hope to get from it. This will change your personal relationships.
Living God Ministries - The Lamp of God
This really make sense to me. Thank you so much. I will work on my relationship with God.

Upvote 0

pinkjess

Feb 24, 2009
✟85,038.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
we all need love and acceptance from others. But longterm peace comes from our relationship with God, which enables us to enjoy our human relationships more fully and also gives us the wisdom to discern the differences between real love and the kind of love the world promotes.
Thank you. I totally understand. It is so easy to forget the love God promotes when we live in a world that promotes fake love.

Upvote 0

pinkjess

Feb 24, 2009
✟85,038.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
A book that helped me is by John Powell "Why am I afraid to tell you who I am?" I don't know if its still available, it was first published in 1969, by Argus Communications of Niles Illinois.
Thank you. I have added it to my Amazon list. I will maybe buy it sometime.

Upvote 0

pinkjess

Feb 24, 2009
✟85,038.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
There is a kind of longing, an "ache" that only God can satisfy. "Just as a deer longs for running streams,
so my heart aches in longing for you, oh God. I am desperately thirsty for God, for the living God!
" (Psalm 42).

I think at times that many people smother this deep ache with myriads of other activities. "Cover the longing by keeping busy" seems to be a common thing today. And this is how we avoid the work of building relationships with others. I hope sincerely for you Jess, (and for myself) that you will meet some people with whom you can develop strong and mutually supportive relationships. But in the meantime, perhaps you can focus your attention on the Lord Jesus, let him fill you with his love, his confidence in you, his belief in you (read 1 Cor 13 as if it is him talking to you, telling you how he wants to be understood by you). Remember he also has experienced what it's like to be abandoned by friends - and even by his Father. (I think he recited Psalm 42 to himself while he was hanging on the cross - he certainly would have memorized it as a boy.)

May he draw you close and ease your pain.
Thank you so much. I love the verse at the end of that chapter you shared. I am fully known by the Lord and that itself should make me feel loved by Him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

pinkjess

Feb 24, 2009
✟85,038.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Woah we're almost the same. I also do have a hard time trusting people because of the hurt that my previous relationships have caused...and most of the time my solution is to forget about people and just focus on God.

But in the Bible I know that this is also wrong. The greatest commandment according to Jesus is not just to love the Lord, but also to love your neighbor. And actually according to Hebrews 6:10, you show your love for God when you love the people around you.

I'll pray that the Lord will heal your heart from the hurts you've experienced. I pray that God will make you more open not just to a relationship with Him, but also with other people.
Thank you. It is nice to know I am not alone in these feelings of mine. Thank you for praying for me.

Upvote 0

pinkjess

Feb 24, 2009
✟85,038.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
No, we don't get that ache satisfied by Him alone, but He does bring people into our lives that can help fill that void. Telling a lonely person to spend more time with God is to tell a hungry person with a chocolate craving to eat broccoli. It might satisfy the immediate need for food temporarily, but in the long term just make the craving worse. It's also true that we need a variety of people to fill various roles in our lives. Having a million platonic friends can never make the longing for that special sweetie ever totally vanish. With all that being said, make sure you're regularly bringing your loneliness in prayer to the Father. He already knows what you want and need, but He also likes it when you tell him. :) And you can always shoot me a PM if you want someone to talk to.
If you say we don't get the ache satisfied by God alone, then isn't that like saying God is not enough?

Upvote 0

GraceBro

Eternally Forgiven, Alive, and Secure.
Dec 24, 2017
Central Coast
Visit site
✟103,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This really make sense to me. Thank you so much. I will work on my relationship with God.
You're welcome. Listen to the audio teaching, if you are inclined. I believe it will help. Be blessed.

Reactions: pinkjess
Upvote 0

.Mikha'el.

7x13=28
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
May 22, 2004
British Columbia
✟1,007,469.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
If you say we don't get the ache satisfied by God alone, then isn't that like saying God is not enough?

He said "It is not good for man to be alone", and created woman. He didn't tell Adam just to spend more time with God. He satisfies our ache, but He does it by providing us with the genuine desires of our heart, not as acting like some kind of substitute for them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0