If mutation consistently warns you, that you're *not* going to get an adaptation: you need to change

I would question..

• ...one mutation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ...two mutations

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • ...a handful of mutations

• ...many many mutations

• ...mutations that wouldn't go away

• ...mutations that recruit adaptations for other mutations

• ...slower mutations

• ...harder mutations

• Total voters

Gottservant

God loves your words, may men love them also
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
Hi there,

So just putting aside the presupposition that mutation "precedes" adaptation, you have to at least accept that mutation might lead to something negative - something not adaptation. You could get cancer, or lameness or any of the myriad other things that go wrong in the human body. The emphasis here is situations where the mutations consistently warn you that something is going wrong - that you do not have the backing of your "Evolution" if these mutational occurrences continue to go "wrong". The point being that just "adapting" is in jeopardy.

Adapting being in jeopardy comes with a snare: namely, that change merely on the basis of the growing warning you have got already, is not going to save you. This is not meant to alarm you, but to give you time to address, what you think readiness in "Evolution" really is? What it requires of you, but also what it can save you from, if you heed the warnings correctly and change above and beyond the warning. Saying which draws on the necessity of agency, in the context of the theory - the same way avoiding the thorns saves you from the poison berries. I am not saying there is a rule to this, but that you are in danger of ignoring a greater accountability, than passive existence when you are faced with this dilemma and must respond to it.

In Christianity, we have the concept of "sin", which we are uncertain of at first, but then as things get worse and we enter more and more darkness, we start to realize we need to repent, that we need to reassert the primacy of something greater than our personal growth - to ensure that we don't just "grow into Hell" and suffer and die, ignorant of what God was asking. This warning comes from our conscience and is operated by our spirit for the sake of our soul - something we share faith in with God, that it is something He wants to save. Now there will be some of you that remember I tried to address the preservation of "Evolution", if you look at this closely, you will see that I am invoking a need to change: based on the concept that "Evolution" can be preserved, at least a couple of ways.

The point I am making, is even if you don't make much of preserving "Evolution" when it is already biological fact (as if being "biological" makes it somehow memorable), the inert, unchanging, unaffecting preservation of "Evolution" in the face of growing warning of mutation, will still not "preserve" for you the correct escape, by which you might be able to save yourself! To do that, you need agency, agency that can move in and out of your being "evolved" to adapt a better response to the growing danger than mere chance - mere chance kills almost everything but design that sees it coming.
Mere chance kills almost everything, but design that sees it coming (selah)

So there you have it, not one mutation, but many and a need to respond to at least some of it more differently than had been adapted in the past! You can come at this from any number of angles (I would suggest prayer) but I think the very least you can do is to start to experiment with the variety of differences you can make to your particular "evolution", not for the sake of 'evolving' it but for survival, which technically is more important than 'evolution'. I think you'll look back at this in time, and think "I really believed hoping for good mutations would save me - how ridiculous!". I haven't even begun to mention the good that being prepared for specific adaptations would do...

I hope this reaches you with at least a little sense, already in mind, that you don't fear you need to "evolve from scratch" to make a competitive point.

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟927,129.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
A species might survive due to well designed variation in the species.
Is your assertion that variation in populations is designed?

Do you think that all mutation is deliberately triggered or only some of them?

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is your assertion that variation in populations is designed?

Do you think that all mutation is deliberately triggered or only some of them?
It just struck me that biological life is like a chess board and none of the moves are accidental.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟927,129.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
It just struck me that biological life is like a chess board and none of the moves are accidental.
A lot of it certainly seems that way.

Birth defects on the small scale and the extinction of entire families of species on a larger scale seems like odd events to associate with deliberate decisions.

The Cosmo and all matter. Which is made up of pure energy.

I don't understand how that demonstrates design.

That's a claim, not evidence.

I think the association of energy and matter seems pretty well evidenced... it just doesn't seem to have any real use as a demonstration of design.

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟351,049.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
I think the association of energy and matter seems pretty well evidenced... it just doesn't seem to have any real use as a demonstration of design.

I've never seen anyone able to use it for evidence of design outside of arguments from incredulity.

Also, as an aside, is your avatar the secret Silent Hill ending?

Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟927,129.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
I've never seen anyone able to use it for evidence of design outside of arguments from incredulity.

Also, as an aside, is your avatar the secret Silent Hill ending?
:) You got it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,989.00
Faith
Atheist
So just putting aside the presupposition that mutation "precedes" adaptation, you have to at least accept that mutation might lead to something negative - something not adaptation. You could get cancer, or lameness or any of the myriad other things that go wrong in the human body. The emphasis here is situations where the mutations consistently warn you that something is going wrong - that you do not have the backing of your "Evolution" if these mutational occurrences continue to go "wrong". The point being that just "adapting" is in jeopardy.
Whether mutations are advantageous, disadvantageous, or neutral, they're grist to the mill of evolution. Individuals with disadvantageous mutations will tend to be less successful with fewer viable offspring, so disadvantageous genes are less likely to persist in the population for many generations. IOW, they are selected out.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is no such thing as 'pure' energy - it's a property that things have by reason of their composition and context, it has no independent existence.
The "Things" you mentioned are made of energy. The energy has various properties which render it "solid". But it's all energy.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,989.00
Faith
Atheist
The "Things" you mentioned are made of energy. The energy has various properties which render it "solid". But it's all energy.
No. Kinetic energy, gravitational potential energy, heat energy, elastic energy, chemical energy, atomic bond energy, and so-on, are not 'solid'. When matter is 'converted to energy' by, for example, fission or fusion, it's actually converted to other forms of the energy of stuff - particles with high kinetic energy, photons with high frequencies, etc. Ultimately, stuff is made of quantum fields, and the energy of stuff is the energy of quantum fields in different states.

As I've said elsewhere, an analogy might be financial value - it comes in many forms and can be converted from one form to another, but doesn't exist in its own right.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A lot of it certainly seems that way.
Birth defects on the small scale and the extinction of entire families of species on a larger scale seems like odd events to associate with deliberate decisions.

A few too many beers can wipe out nearly all the organisms in your colon and give you the runs.
Long term, life recovers and your poop becomes solid again.
You are winning, or you are learning.

Upvote 0