Miami
✟39,620.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If I want salvation for myself, if I want to acquire it for my own selfish purposes, like I would acquire a car or a house, then I cannot have salvation.

One can solve problems and acquire things with self still on the throne of their life. If you have a flat tire, fix it. You can do that with self on the throne. If you want a house, get a mortgage and make a down payment. You can to that with self on the throne.

The problem of separation from God cannot be solved with self on the throne. Salvation cannot be acquired while having self on the throne.

I just started praying to Jesus, "Help me. I must become unselfish, stop living for self and live for you." But the chances of me stopping my selfishness are about as high as the chances I can change myself into a monkey.

Apparently, that's where faith comes in. I guess I still don't "get" faith.

Porpoise

Aug 8, 2018
United States
✟70,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
If I want salvation for myself, if I want to acquire it for my own selfish purposes, like I would acquire a car or a house, then I cannot have salvation.

One can solve problems and acquire things with self still on the throne of their life. If you have a flat tire, fix it. You can do that with self on the throne. If you want a house, get a mortgage and make a down payment. You can to that with self on the throne.

The problem of separation from God cannot be solved with self on the throne. Salvation cannot be acquired while having self on the throne.

I just started praying to Jesus, "Help me. I must become unselfish, stop living for self and live for you." But the chances of me stopping my selfishness are about as high as the chances I can change myself into a monkey.

Well, I think that's true, what you've said about not being able to change yourself. No one can change themselves on their own, become something they aren't and don't have within themselves. Everything good comes from God, where will you find or acquire goodness if not from him? It's so important to pray, to ask for everything good, because where else can we find it? Jesus didn't come to save the righteous, but to save sinners. We are sinners, we are not God, not the source of goodness.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

God will bless your belief (faith) in due time.

Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0

solid_core

Oct 13, 2019
Vienna
✟50,919.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

The definition of selfish is that you want something just for yourself and you do not want to share it with others.

Because the source of salvation is without any limit, you cannot be technically selfish by accepting it for yourself. If you take it, you do not take it from others.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

I don't understand how you define selfishness.

If you saw an obviously poor person in front of you at the checkout of a grocery store, and they were short of enough money to pay for their food, would you out of spite for them refuse to help?

Upvote 0

Bob8102

Nov 9, 2019
Miami
✟39,620.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't understand how you define selfishness.

If you saw an obviously poor person in front of you at the checkout of a grocery store, and they were short of enough money to pay for their food, would you out of spite for them refuse to help?

I give money to homeless/hungry people on a regular basis. I even tell them that they should give their life to Christ and He will take care of them. But that does not mean I am saved. All our righteousnesses are as filthy rags, God says.

Upvote 0

Bob8102

Nov 9, 2019
Miami
✟39,620.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The definition of selfish is that you want something just for yourself and you do not want to share it with others.

Because the source of salvation is without any limit, you cannot be technically selfish by accepting it for yourself. If you take it, you do not take it from others.

Selfish also means that Self is on the throne of your life, not Christ.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I give money to homeless/hungry people on a regular basis. I even tell them that they should give their life to Christ and He will take care of them. But that does not mean I am saved. All our righteousnesses are as filthy rags, God says.

Maybe you're not as selfish as you think.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bob8102

Nov 9, 2019
Miami
✟39,620.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's my understanding that if you accept Jesus as your Lord an Saviour, that's it.

Not sure intent matters

I repeatedly try to do this. In fact, on some repeated occasions, those are the very words I use: "I accept You as my Lord and Savior." But then, I next doubt I really meant it. Just saying the words of a sinner's prayer will not save one; it's the heart that matters. I am concerned that with me, Christianity is all in my head, not in my heart. Somebody suggested that I ask for grace. I sometimes really get into "grace." I read and repeat passages of scripture relating to grace. But I never stay convinced I am saved for long. It seems to me that I am always the Same Old Bob (SOB).

Upvote 0

solid_core

Oct 13, 2019
Vienna
✟50,919.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Well, if Self is always on the throne, not Christ, then one can question whether or not they are saved.
We are saved by faith in death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

No need to complicate things and add to it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,126.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

As a Christian you operate for totally unselfish reasons and it really is out of a “gratitude” type of Love.

As Christians we have been showered with unbelievable gift really all we should want including Godly type Love and a birthright to a heavenly home which cannot be lost, stolen or taken back (but we can give it away [like Esau]).

The problem is as we once were non-Christians, we had no reason to “Love” a God who was sending us to hell, so what “gratitude” would we have toward someone who is sending us to hell?

We are like the prodigal son “dead” by Christ’s definition of “dead”, not able to do anything noble, honorable, worthy, righteous or holy, but we can (like the prodigal son) for selfish reasons be willing to humbly accept pure undeserved charity from God (our Father). If we were really macho, willing to pay the piper, and even willing to take the punishment we fully deserve, we might not wimp out, give up and surrender to our enemy (God).

Upvote 0

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That is a rather preposterous notion.
Who else would you please by "getting" salvation.
Is it selfish to eat when you are hungry?
Is it selfish to go to bed when you are tired?
Is it selfish to shower when you stink?
Just because you want something doesn't make it selfishness.
Some things are needful, like salvation.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
If, when I do something for someone, Self remains on the throne of my heart, not Christ, then my "righteousness" is as a filthy rag to God.

Doing good is the inverse of doing evil. One man abstains from murder because he believes it is wrong. Another man abstains from murder because he feels the pain of his victim. A third man abstains from murder because he fears being caught and punished. All three are innocent.

If a man does good, regardless of his motives*, he has still done good.

*The only exception is to do good soley to receive praise from others.

Upvote 0