Vancouver
✟23,662.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Hi all. Prayers and blessings to everyone, hope you had a wonderful Christmas.

I am a new Christian, baptized last weekend. I came from full blown, arrogant, ignorant atheism and a very, very sinful and hedonistic lifestyle. For 12 years I was a professional alcoholic, as well as a participant in various sinful vices that I dare not mention here. This past Friday I celebrated 6 months of sobriety and have spent this time in service to others and my community. Gone are my vices and my misery, and I have only God to thank. I am pursuing education in professional mental health/addictions counseling, have done a ton of volunteer work in the field, and JUST landed a paying job as a treatment center floor staff.

Naturally, as a former atheist, and a very hardheaded one at that, I continue to struggle with my old atheist biases as those old neural pathways fire off. Old habits die hard, as do old ideas, evidently. I have dealt with it through patience, prayer, scripture, attending services, and the Christian community. This weekend, my doubts were smashed to pieces.

A friend of mine recently passed tragically. I was able, through the grace of God, to travel across the state of Oregon (9 hours in the car total, there and back) to attend her funeral and support her family. It is unlikely that this could have occurred in the throws of my addiction.

Today is what really did it. This morning, I got up, took a shower, threw on my nice church clothes, and headed out for Sunday service. My church is close to my parent's house, and I remembered they had laxatives, which I badly needed (Keto diet, lots of cheese, no fiber). So I dropped by before church. I noticed I was the only one there. My grandma, who lives there, was not in her usual spot. I had a cup of coffee and hung out downstairs for a few minutes. On a whim, I decided to go upstairs. What I found rocked my world. My grandmother was laying on the floor in my mom's office. I had never seen her in that room before. I immediately jumped into action. She told me she had fallen and was crawling to a chair to sit down. I helped her into the chair and began assessing. She seemed confused and had trouble speaking. Bad sign. Then I noticed something very, very bad. One side, and only one side, of her face was droopy while the other was normal. That means stroke. I called for an ambulance and they came sirens blazing.

I met her at the hospital, and I spent some time in prayer. The next 9 hours I spent with my family at the hospital, comforting my grandmother when we were allowed to see her. She went into surgery, and it went well. They found and removed the clot it her brain. We won't know the extent of the damage for a few days, but she will live. She is in recovery now.

What are the chances? What are the chances that me, a former Emergency Medical Technician, happened to be at the right place at the right time to catch this and get help? My family was praising me, but I don't feel I deserve any praise. I went there to get some laxatives because I was constipated. It was all God. And further, my mother who is in Mexico on vacation, told me over the phone that she trusted all medical decisions to me. In my addiction, my mom couldn't leave her wallet out, ever, much less trust me with huge decisions like this. When my grandpa (this grandma's husband) died a few years ago, I was drunk when I found out. I continued to drink that night until I blacked out, and I am to this day ashamed. This time, I was sober. This time, I was there. I have God to thank.

I don't know what else to say, but I do know, I no longer have any doubts. My grandmother is 78, and I don't blame God for her stroke; these things are a natural process of God's gift of life. But I do credit God for helping me catch it.

So the last thing, please pray for my Grandma. Her name is Barbara. We call her Bubbe.

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
An awesome testimony thank you for sharing. One way to resist atheist thought is to look at Jesus dying on the cross also for the atheists. The more you love Him for that the more convinced in your faith you will be.

Unbelief.
Your voice turned me utterly insane,
believing your suggestions
thinking there is no God.
For you betrayed my Good Life,
pushing me into that bottomless pit,
into fiery Hell for years on end.

Flying right through my reality,
your miserable voice dividing
myself against myself,
your taunts attacking faithful self,
hopelessness cutting me up,
your lies barring access to true Life!

No faith feeding my starving soul,
instead doubt, confusion and terror,
false evidence locking my hopes away,
devoid from true self or any good thing,
torturing me in those dark dungeons,
you only ever set out to murder me!

Upvote 0

Not me

Righteousness is right and not me.
Feb 26, 2018
California
✟263,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I am a new Christian, baptized last weekend. I came from full blown, arrogant, ignorant atheism and a very, very sinful and hedonistic lifestyle. For 12 years I was a professional alcoholic, as well as a participant in various sinful vices that I dare not mention here. This past Friday I celebrated 6 months of sobriety and have spent this time in service to others and my community. Gone are my vices and my misery, and I have only God to thank. I am pursuing education in professional mental health/addictions counseling, have done a ton of volunteer work in the field, and JUST landed a paying job as a treatment center floor staff.

Naturally, as a former atheist, and a very hardheaded one at that, I continue to struggle with my old atheist biases as those old neural pathways fire off. Old habits die hard, as do old ideas, evidently. I have dealt with it through patience, prayer, scripture, attending services, and the Christian community. This weekend, my doubts were smashed to pieces.

A friend of mine recently passed tragically. I was able, through the grace of God, to travel across the state of Oregon (9 hours in the car total, there and back) to attend her funeral and support her family. It is unlikely that this could have occurred in the throws of my addiction.

Today is what really did it. This morning, I got up, took a shower, threw on my nice church clothes, and headed out for Sunday service. My church is close to my parent's house, and I remembered they had laxatives, which I badly needed (Keto diet, lots of cheese, no fiber). So I dropped by before church. I noticed I was the only one there. My grandma, who lives there, was not in her usual spot. I had a cup of coffee and hung out downstairs for a few minutes. On a whim, I decided to go upstairs. What I found rocked my world. My grandmother was laying on the floor in my mom's office. I had never seen her in that room before. I immediately jumped into action. She told me she had fallen and was crawling to a chair to sit down. I helped her into the chair and began assessing. She seemed confused and had trouble speaking. Bad sign. Then I noticed something very, very bad. One side, and only one side, of her face was droopy while the other was normal. That means stroke. I called for an ambulance and they came sirens blazing.

I met her at the hospital, and I spent some time in prayer. The next 9 hours I spent with my family at the hospital, comforting my grandmother when we were allowed to see her. She went into surgery, and it went well. They found and removed the clot it her brain. We won't know the extent of the damage for a few days, but she will live. She is in recovery now.

What are the chances? What are the chances that me, a former Emergency Medical Technician, happened to be at the right place at the right time to catch this and get help? My family was praising me, but I don't feel I deserve any praise. I went there to get some laxatives because I was constipated. It was all God. And further, my mother who is in Mexico on vacation, told me over the phone that she trusted all medical decisions to me. In my addiction, my mom couldn't leave her wallet out, ever, much less trust me with huge decisions like this. When my grandpa (this grandma's husband) died a few years ago, I was drunk when I found out. I continued to drink that night until I blacked out, and I am to this day ashamed. This time, I was sober. This time, I was there. I have God to thank.

I don't know what else to say, but I do know, I no longer have any doubts. My grandmother is 78, and I don't blame God for her stroke; these things are a natural process of God's gift of life. But I do credit God for helping me catch it.

So the last thing, please pray for my Grandma. Her name is Barbara. We call her Bubbe.

It is a blessing and a great thing to see God’s hand working in your life, as which most assuredly it is and was. Will be standing in prayer with you for your situations. So that as you press into Him, He will make Him known to you in new and wondrous ways, and as scripture says, “show you great and marvelous things you know not.”

Blessings,

Much love in Christ, Not me

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Loving your testimony here.

God is gracious to give us second chances ... and to use us in His service (and thus, be of service to others).

Praying for your Grandma Bubbe ... and your family ...

Upvote 0

Sm412

Nov 25, 2018
Vancouver
✟23,662.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you all so much! I'm reading the Psalms and the Gospels to comfort me in this trying time. My favorite books in the bible. I will be in prayer as well. I am so blessed to be able to be here for my family. God is great. I can't even fathom His goodness. We will be working closely with the treatment team to figure out the next step for my grandmother. She is very independent, but we have floated the idea of assisted living, depending of course on how much care she needs. That will be the next step if we are unable to care for her at home, and we're bracing for the possibility. She is so loved and we will be taking great care of her :) thank you all for your support and prayers. God and Jesus Christ are truly wonderful!

Frankly, making it to 78 completely independent is a blessing in and of itself. She has been fortunate in that respect. We will do what's best for her. Worst case scenario, she ends up in a nursing home, however, we WILL NOT be one of those families that dumps people off at a nursing home and never visits. Someone will be there to see her every day of the week. My siblings and I (the grandkids) made a pact yesterday.

My Grandma and I have had our bad moments for sure, but I thank the Lord endlessly for the opportunity to make it all right and be there for her :)

Upvote 0