Akron
✟72,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Fresh food is expensive, usually $3 an item and only lasts a few days and is a lot of work to cut up and prepare. By comparison, frozen veggies last for months, only cost $1, and are already cut and prepared just measure them out, and you are ready to go. I like freeze-dried because that is fast, easy, and has a very long shelf life, but it is expensive. Also I use veggie soup mixes. That is usually less than a dollar a serving and I do not each much more than a serving or two.

I suppose fresh food is best but expensive and difficult. Usually I cook in a rice cooker. It shuts itself off so I do not have to baby sit it.

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,431.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Fresh items are best purchased within season. Check out your local farmers market. You'll pay much less and the shelf life is longer. Most items are harvested 1 or 2 days before. You can download a produce calendar for your area. If you have a yard or balcony consider growing your favorites. Seeds are relatively cheap and vertical planters will allow you to grow a lot. If that isn't an option you can do the same indoors with adequate sunlight. There's several avid gardeners here and they're happy to help. Post in the gardening forum if needed.

I hope that helps.

~bella

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟798,982.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Understand the considerations.. If you decide to go with fresh,, once home wrap romaine in paper towels, place in a storage bag, and refrigerate. Then keep in dry towels. (can recycle the paper towels). This causes it to lasts much longer.

Cut broccoli and let sit about 40 min before cooking.. At the end,, sprinkle with powdered mustard. This increases its nutritional value with one study showing 4x more. Also, the stems have more nutrients than the tops so it can be run through blender to put in soups, smoothies, etc.

For more value,, garlic can be crushed then used about 10 min later.

Use vegetable scraps to make broth. Could use slow cooker so timer can be set..These efforts mean you get more for your money.

Also, there's interesting research about how to prepare foods and which ones improve our immune systems, cognition, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Also, there's interesting research about how to prepare foods and which ones improve our immune systems, cognition, etc.
There is an art to cooking. Some people believe we are what we are because we learned how to cook food. Today we have more chemists than cooks. I would like to see us go back to the most nutritional food possible. Real food, not something that looks and tastes like food.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,431.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
There is an art to cooking. Some people believe we are what we are because we learned how to cook food. Today we have more chemists than cooks. I would like to see us go back to the most nutritional food possible. Real food, not something that looks and tastes like food.

Mary's Nest is a great resource. She provides cooking instruction on YouTube with the qualities you're desirous of.

~bella

• Agree
Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,770.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Cooking can be art and science, depending on what one is making. Understand the science of how food reacts to various cooking methods, acids, dairy, seasonings involved and the cooking time helps one to create more nutritious meals. For instance, steaming vegetables helps to retain more nutrients than boiling vegetables. When it comes to baking, science is important. An excellent book on the science of cooking is called 'On Food and Cooking' by Harold McGee.

Upvote 0