Visit site
✟79,726.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
sojourner said:
Cygnus,

Cygnus, I have been telling you incessantly, that Christ is our authority. You just don't believe it, nor accept it. You cannot because it throws your whole doctrine and theory out the window. Your authoritative scriptures clearly make that claim. The Church throughout history has held to that claim.
Soj , lets have this straight I don't deny nor ever have that there are bonafide Christians in the Orthodox church .......... so your attack above is misinformed . rather it is YOU that deny anyone is part of Christ's body , His Church who is not Orthodox , so don't be putting your aspersions on me!!!!

Where is the authority here. It is useful for teaching and the Church has always used it for teaching, correction and training. But the Book itself does not have any authority from this text.
it has final and full authority over all Christians!

Our US constitution says this about itself also. But the authority is not hte Constitution. It is the people who have given up some of their power and authority to various bodies but retain full power and authority.
You will find no text that claims the Scripture is the final and absolute authority. Especially when those same scriputures places it in Christ, who in turn gave it to the Apostles. Then the Apostle Paul clearly states where it lies in I Tim 3:15. And we already know that Christ is that Church.
you are much more confused than ever .......... i have already shown you that Christ is NOT the Church ..... no wonder you are all over the place!!

The Head of the ONLY Church, Christ. I believe that is stated once again in Scripture. He is the Head, the believers are members of HIS BODY. Christ is our Head, literally, figuratively, spiritually, ontologically, organically, whatever way you decide to explain it, Christ is our Head. Very Simple Theology.
No Christian denys it .......... have I ever denied Christ is the Only head of The Church ... NO!!! so why bring it up ............ more smokescreens!

Maybe a little chain of command here will help you. Christ is the Head of His Church. He gave His Truth, All Truth, which some of it is written, known in history as the Bible, He is the authority of it then as well. This authority was given to the Apostles who established a real, concrete, physical Church, ontological, organic in nature with Christ who is not only the Head, but also the Body in which the Holy Spirit resides and works with those members within His Body.
Where does this digress from the Book you call scriptures, the book you claim is your authority?

it is quite simple , the Church can and does err , teachers can and do err , Bishops can and do err ........... so on and so forth ........
what cannot err is scripture !

Let me make it simple for YOU , the Church is the body of all believers in Christ , she is NOT Christ , she dwells in Christ , she has been gifted with Apostles and Prophets who were and still continue to be foundational , but they are no longer with us (on earth) so God has left their authority behind , not in other men , not in a Pope , and certainly not in Bishops (for they too can err) the authority is the scriptures that contain the essence of The Apostles teaching and contain the Word Of Christ Himself ....... this is the only authority over Christians , not councils and not popes , notice the order of scripture ......... Law and Prophets (Old testament) Gospels , Acts , Epistles and finally the book of Revelation ........ in that last book are letters to the Church's to be read by the whole Church !!!
the natural continuation of the scriptures is that individual letters (books) that were written for individual church's are gathered up for the final word of God to the entire Church worldwide across time ...... no more Apostles and no more Word from God to THE CHURCH WORLDWIDE ...... the authority of the Apostles and Prophets and Christ the chief cornerstone are now continuing through the Sacred scriptures as was predicted , not by so called infallible men (popes or councils) ......

Upvote 0

Quickened

Apr 24, 2005
✟200.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Ben johnson said:
Quick, even Calvinists believe that "anyone who could ASK such a question, cannot be anything but "elect". But there is no way to answer your question --- unless we can clearly define "what salvation, IS".

What does it mean to you? A man walks up to you and says, "What is salvation? How do I 'get saved'?" What would you tell him?

:)

Well, if a man walked up to me and said, "What is salvation? How do I 'get saved'?" I would use Scripture to tell the person what salvation is, and that it is a gift from God. As Ephesians 2:8, 9 says, "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith - and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God - not by works, so that no one can boast." And how does one get saved? I would tell them the same thing Paul said to the jailer in Acts 16:16-40. "The jailer called for lights, rushed in and fell trembling before Paul and Silas. He then brought them out and asked, 'Sirs, what must I do to be saved?' They replied, 'Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved - you and your household'" (Acts 16:29-31).

By the way, what do you mean when you said: "Quick, even Calvinists believe that "anyone who could ASK such a question, cannot be anything but "elect"?

Upvote 0

sojourner

Aug 17, 2003
✟753.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Cygnus,

of course it is , there are Christians all over the world that belong to Christ but have no affiliation with your denomination......
That is reformation relativism. It is not stated that way in Scripture. That the Roman Catholic claim the same or similar is possible but not valid. There are several aspects of Succession of which the Romans have not adhered to. The Biggest one, not remaining within tbe Body of Christ that they claim they are a part of. The changes made in both understanding faith doctrines and in the Tradition of the Original Church has long been set aside.

If a person is Baptised into Christ according to the scriptures and receives Christ then he is in the body of Christ ........ but your saying baptism into Christ and receiving the saviour DOESN'T make a person saved or part of the body of Christ! ......... have you any idea just how serious those accusations are ?
Most, and especially yourself are not baptised into Christ as explained in Scripture. You don't even hold to the Scriptural view of baptismal regeneration. You also do not believe in believers accepting the call of the Holy Spirit. They are instilled from before the foundations of the world. This denies the whole premise of the Incarnation and that Christ must be a human being in order to redeem human beings. Same faith, Same baptism, hardly, by any stretch of the immagination. Same terms, but far different understanding and interpretation than what has been given and practiced from the beginning. Again, we get back to authority. Whoever baptised you, were they given that authority by any direct line bishop to the Apostles. Authority only follows the Apostles through the Bishops thorughout history.
So, the accusations are really from Christ Himself. But you have been ignoring Him and instead placing yourself over Christ and saying I can do what I wish and still be counted. Any person can baptise and claim it is from the Bible and claim it is authentic and that person is a member of the Body of Christ.

Not according to revelation .......... many church's had strayed to the point of being extinguished!
Yes, according to scripture. One physical church comprised of a group within the Body of Christ who were not serious about their faith. But the Body of Christ still exists and they were still members being disciplined.

the Church proper ........... where is that in scripture ?
The Church that gave you that Scripture. The Apostles who were part of the foundation of that Church. The Only Church that existed until the 11th century when Rome split off and became the father of all western Christianity. However, the Body they split from is still in existance today. Contrary to the reformers Christ did not die or fail somehow to ensure His Promise that He would be with His Church until the end.

It cannot reside in the Church , the Church makes many mistakes........ even Peter was not beyong Doctrinal/practical correction!
and have you forgotten Galileo ?
That is precisely what Scripture states as per Paul in I Tim 3:15. However, any single individual is not the Church. The Church cannot make mistakes, of course with your own interpretation, only man is perfect and can interpret scripture infallibly. But the Church is Christ. Christ cannot err, or can He? The Reformers thought so.
Yes, Peter, correction by the Church. Who is the Church, all members of that Church. At the time the Apostles and the Church was very young and the Apostles where the Authority. Even they did not do it by any single individual, but the whole. Read Acts 15:6ff.

the church is not Christ ........... we don't worship the Church!!
the Church is the bride of Christ , taken from Him and created for Him , and is in unity through spiritual betrothelment and marraige.
I guess from that you do not agree with Paul analogy
in Eph 5:22ff but especially Eph 5:29. Actually it has nothing to do with spirituality, but physical.

so you are not at odds with roman catholics?
It is the other way around. They are at odds with the Gospel once given, always believed.

You don't even recognise the scriptures authority , and if I am at odds with scripture on what authority do you say so ...... it cannot be by Scripture , because you don't even recognise the scriptures authority...
Christ is the authority. Nothing else. All is subjected to HIM. And to whom did He give the same authority He received from the Father, but to the Apostles and the Church that they established IN Christ. John 20:21-23.
I don't see authority being given to scripture here or any other place.

Wrong! The Holy Spirit determines the meaning of scripture........... and not the church!
Ah, Yes, besides Christ while living with the Apostles gave them some Truth, but the Holy Spirit would come and lead them into ALL TRUTH. Who are the Apostles again? Did they have the authority transferred to them? Did they not establish Christ's Church here on earth. Many, almost 3000 souls joined this Church on the very first day of its official existance.
Where does the Holy Spirit reside? But the Body of Christ. Who is the Body of Christ, all believers baptised into Christ via the authority given to the Apostles in Matt 28:19.

If scripture has no authority ,. who does , show me where I find the authority , is it written down ? If not , what trust can there be in anything said by men , they could deny saying anything two seconds after saying it?
See John 20: 21-23. yes, it is written down. In the very same Book you think has authority. Above all, do not trust men. Why do you think I will never trust your interpretions. They are of men, are you not a man?

that is RC propoganda!
Christians are lead by The Holy Spirit , not by some man made authority ....... like a group of Bishops or a Pope.
Yes, but the Holy Spirit as being indwelt is only indwelt in members of His Body. He works within that framework. The Church is as much a sacrament of Christ as is baptism, communion. All are salvfic. All lead and assist believers IN Christ to maturing and being conformed to HIS IMAGE.

yet you have denied it all through this thread
Only confirmed it. You believe that there are many ways to Christ. Each person is his own interpreter of the authoritative Bible. It matters not just what they interpret for themselves as long as it is based somewhat on scripture, their understanding of it. It has no universality, not relevance to any other Christian as he is also free to decide what he will believe and how and still consider himself in the Body of Christ under no authority given by Christ Himself. Self appointed authoritarians.

you mean you haven't interpreted scripture on these boards ...... get real Soj!
I not only have not, I have never claimed any of it as my opinion. It is and has always been what has been taught by the Church as the Truth given to the Apostles the foundation of that Church. Scripture itself is an interpretation of what was given to them for the most part

Irrelevant!
Irrelevant because it destroys the whole framework on which your view depends. If there is something that refutes it, it must fall. It has been refuted throughout history.

there we go again ........ the body polity singularly holds the truth ..... yet I say the Scripture is the Only Infallible rule for the Christian..........
Again, your opinion and not even substantiated from the Bible which is your authority. Yet the Bible clearly claims that the Holy Spirit works and is indwelt in each believer who is a member of that body. Yet, the examples of the Bible being authoritative cannot come up with any unified belief. It is a hodge podge of multi faceted beliefs to many to number.

where does this body polity hold the truth ? In their heads ?
In their hearts, the Temple of the Living God by their faith in that Truth and Work in which they believe, wholeheartedly, completely without reservation.

and the Church cannot err because the Church is Christ right ?
we are poles apart , sadly.
You finally got it. That is at least an accomplishment. Terrific. That we are poles apart is sad but possibly the Holy Spirit has shed some light and will lead the way.

Upvote 0

Ben johnson

Legend
Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2002
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟76,549.00
Faith
Christian
By the way, what do you mean when you said: "Quick, even Calvinists believe that "anyone who could ASK such a question, cannot be anything but "elect"?
As I understand Calvinism, "man is too corrupt to even consider believing in God (leaving Luke8:13 unanswered); so one who CAN ask about salvation, demonstrates he/she is OPEN to salvation".
Well, if a man walked up to me and said, "What is salvation? How do I 'get saved'?" I would use Scripture to tell the person what salvation is, and that it is a gift from God. As Ephesians 2:8, 9 says, "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith - and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God - not by works, so that no one can boast." And how does one get saved? I would tell them the same thing Paul said to the jailer in Acts 16:16-40. "The jailer called for lights, rushed in and fell trembling before Paul and Silas. He then brought them out and asked, 'Sirs, what must I do to be saved?' They replied, 'Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved - you and your household'" (Acts 16:29-31).
An excellent answer --- well done. :)

When you tell your friend "believe", will you include the idea James was putting forth in 2:19?

Suppose your friend asks you, "What does 'born again' mean?" What will you say?

Upvote 0

A Brother In Christ

Senior Veteran
Mar 30, 2005
Royal city, washington
✟5,985.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ben johnson said:
will you include the idea James was putting forth in 2:19?

do you really understand ...Ben

James 2:19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe[of judgement], and temble

they were never offered salvation this is why all the angels and the prophets searched for the grace to come 1peter 1:10-12

James 2:20 But wilt thou know, Ovain man, that faith without works is dead.[barron]..John 15:1-14, romans 9:31-32, 2 peter 1:8

James 2:21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar? ....gen 22:9

who saw this? No one..... Hebrews 11:17-19 faith/Gen 15:6, romans 4:2,6, phil 1:6, 2 peter 1:8, John 15:5,11....1 cor 6:16-21

Can you make these verses come together.......

Upvote 0

Ben johnson

Legend
Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2002
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟76,549.00
Faith
Christian
do you really understand ...Ben

James 2:19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe[of judgement], and temble

they were never offered salvation this is why all the angels and the prophets searched for the grace to come 1peter 1:10-12
It's a question of "what does 'believe', mean". To simply believe that God exists (as the demons believe), is not salvation...
The world knows the term, "BORN AGAIN". Hollywood uses it with derision. The media throws it around with scorn. Everyone knows it is "associated with Christianity". But how many people know what it MEANS? Each of you --- and I --- must be able to describe what it is, what it means, and what it has to do with salvation...

So when someone walks up to any of us and asks, "What does BORN AGAIN mean?" What will the answer be?

Upvote 0

sojourner

Aug 17, 2003
✟753.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Cygnus,

Soj , lets have this straight I don't deny nor ever have that there are bonafide Christians in the Orthodox church .......... so your attack above is misinformed . rather it is YOU that deny anyone is part of Christ's body , His Church who is not Orthodox , so don't be putting your aspersions on me!!!!
What and how does this response even suggest you are answering the post I made.
You are putting authority in scripture and state it a little lower in this same post.

Here is your exact words.
it has final and full authority over all Christians!
That to me does not sound like what I am saying at all. The ONLY authority I am under is Christ. Period. As I have also pointed out the Bible has no authority as is amply shown historically within protestantism. It is the reader, the interpreter that has final and only authority. You cannot explain it otherwise.

you are much more confused than ever .......... i have already shown you that Christ is NOT the Church ..... no wonder you are all over the place!!
Actually, you have not. But even at that it is just your own interpretion/opinion.
Which aligns with your statement above that scripture is your authority. Christ is not the Head of His Church. He is not the Body either. How can you get this to align with Scripture?

No Christian denys it .......... have I ever denied Christ is the Only head of The Church ... NO!!! so why bring it up ............ more smokescreens!
I didn't know you were Orthodox. Yes, none deny it because they do not understand what scripture is actually saying. You have created a new and different church and simply ascribed biblical terminology to it. It is part of the relativism and humanism that is so much of protestantism. One is his own authority, one can believe as they so select as long as either God and Christ is included, then nothing else matters respective of salvation. Christ sees all because they simply use His name and thus are accounted members of this mystical body.
Just a point here. Sometime back you mentioned what you call cults, Mormans, Jehovah Witnesses as apparently not christians. You claim that Orthodoxy is exclusive, as if Christ was not, but you are exclusive to the Mormons. Why? What they believe as a group as well as the Jehovah Witnesses, as well as Moslems I might add, is believed by others who call themselves Christians. Mormons, from my vantage point, in understanding the theology of protestantism can just as well claim they are Christian and be able to make it stick. That they might be different on a host of particular issues means absolutely nothing. They just need to believe in God.
I know you will come back and say, it must align with scripture. What kind of barometer is that. It has been proven over and over that it is not scripture that is the authority by the person making the interpretation.
I have already stated that all false teachings are based on scripture. If not, it is not and cannot be a false teaching, just an alternative religion. By your view, Arians, Nestorian, Gnostics, Monophysites, Docetists, Montanists, Sabellians, `and some views that were renounced without the person being excommunicated because of recantation are all christians in the same sense as anyone else. Paul was absolutely wrong is singling out the Gnostics and even the Judiazers.
All of these views are found in many differenct protestant groups, individuals. whole denominations and many variations of the pure teachings of each. So Paul wasalso wrong is warning Timothy of false teachers, false teachings. If they simply believed in God/Christ, they should be accepted as true christians.
Might also note that every single one of these false teachings was originated by a single individual. Throughout the history of the church, it has been proven without exception, that when an individuals puts himself above the Church and the authority of Christ, false teachings invaribly arise. That is why Peter states in II Pet 1:20-21 and Paul in II Tim 4:2-5. Or even II Tim 2:15.
The question then becomes whose teachings are in the picture here, Paul via the Holy Spirit or your personal truth. Your personal truth is denied by Peter. Paul also places this Church, as the pillar and foundation of Truth. Who is this Church again? Of course, Christ.
I don't see any of these commands as being done within Protestantism. Where is your pillar of Truth. .. but scripture. Who has authority over scripture... the individual.

it is quite simple , the Church can and does err , teachers can and do err , Bishops can and do err ........... so on and so forth ........
what cannot err is scripture !
Two falsehoods. Does that make a right?
The Church cannot err. This is a contradiction in terms from what you just stated above. You stated the Christ is the Head of the Church. Yet, I would need to presume, that you believe that Christ can err. I agree that teachers and bishops do and have erred as history simply magifies that statement. But Paul also warned of this happening. He was more concerned with wolves from within then without and that has also been aptly proven in history.
However, when you say scripture cannot err. Again, it is just a book, Ink on paper. Of itself it has no power, no authority. But based on your theology, the individual is the sole interpreter, thus the interpreter is that authority. Then to say, it cannot err, when in actuality it has always erred. An individual alone with scripture, interpreting scripture for himself, history has shown, just within the Church has always erred.
Now, lets look at protestantism as a whole. What other way is there to look at it? No unity, no union even, multiplicity of doctrines from one extreme to the next, all accounted as correct and those who hold any view is a member of Christ's Body.
I can see that every single person in the world, which Christ does desire to be saved, simply saying they beleive and personally places themselves in the Body of Christ and counts himself as saved to eternity.
I believe there is criteria, spelled out by Christ as to what is the Way, the ONLY Way. I don't think He was a relativists. In fact, the way I read Him, He was very exclusive.
The way in short is absolute, total commitment, no reservations.

Let me make it simple for YOU , the Church is the body of all believers in Christ , she is NOT Christ , she dwells in Christ
Now that is a contradiction in terms for an Orthodox and is correctly stated Biblically. We, as believers are IN Christ. We are ontological, organic members of His Body. He is also the Head, right? So then it is very simple to say that Christ is the Church. He is the Head of the Body. They are ONE. This is the same reason most protestants are gnostic in theology. The Church is no different than baptism, Eucharist, confession, and a host of other material things. We are human, not spiritual. We operate in a physical world. One reason Christ, of necessity, needed to redeem the universe because man cannot exist without it. The Church and the other sacraments or simply mental remembrances, rather than events and salvfic at that. It is our participation, physical, in the sufferings, death, and resurrection of Christ. It is all ontological.

the authority is the scriptures that contain the essence of The Apostles teaching and contain the Word Of Christ Himself ....... this is the only authority over Christians
Let me ask you a question. How did the Christians live the first 60-70 years. Surely the first 30 years when no letter or Book was even in print as yet. I would assume that the Church did not exist. And what about all those Christians martyred in the first 300 years. They had the letters but they, as all accounts show did not consider them their sole authority. Again, they were sorta in limbo, I would imagine.
Next question. Why did not Christ or even the Apostles immediately write the inspiration down completely. Word for word that was given to them. Why did they wait until 30 years to even write down the first word, then not everything. The only command by the Angel to write anything down was to John for the Book or Revelation.
Then another question. Why would Paul even state or mention that the Church, whether an organization or an organic entity was the pillar and foundation of Truth. Why not come right out and say that the eventual Bible which will be formulated much later will be and should be considered that authority for all christians?

the authority of the Apostles and Prophets and Christ the chief cornerstone are now continuing through the Sacred scriptures as was predicted ,.
Where is that prediction? I don't think I ever stated that we rely on infallible men. We rely first and foremost on that Cornerstone, Ah, that Church again. And Apostles and prophets. We add just one more thing to that. Christ promised us that the Holy Spirit would preserve His Church. NO, that is not correct. He stated He would preserve only the written portion of the Gospel that was conveyed to the Apostles. That they would be authoritative, just why Philip, needed to be shown and taught what the scriptures said bewilders me, but that each individual upon reading, studying and interpreting could establish for themselves what that Gospel would mean for them. What it means for them is the only thing that is relevant. What they personally believe does not need to be the Gospel for anyone else. It is plain enough for all to read and they would come to the same conclusion every single time.
At that, the Holy Spirit will guide them in this interpretation.
Somewhere, something has gone awry. Ah, I keep forgetting. It does not matter what you actually believe. What I believe matters not to you. Each is absolutely correct for it matters only to that person.

not by so called infallible men (popes or councils) .....
Again, you are only referring to Roman Catholics here. Orthodox first of all have no pope. Secondly the bishops and councils are not infallible. In actuality they don't even speak for the Church. That infallibility lies in the countless faithful of now 2000 years which are believers through which the Holy Spirit works to protect, preserve His Church and Gospel entrusted to that Church, His Body.
However, your infallibility is in your own powers of reasoning, depends on one single human mind, and is absolute. How is that not man?

Upvote 0

cygnusx1

Jacob the twister.....
Apr 12, 2004
UK Northampton
Visit site
✟79,726.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Another helpful article .......

Difference between 0rthodox and orthodox​

Note the distinction between ''Orthodox'' (with a capital O) and ''orthodox'' (spelled with a capital O only at the beginning of a sentence):

Orthodox Christianity: Generically the term orthodox refers to traditional, conservative forms of Christianity, upholding the traditional Christian beliefs about God as a Trinity and about Jesus Christ as taught in the church's early creeds. In this sense orthodox Christianity includes conservative Roman Catholics, and Protestant, evangelical Christianity, and is opposed both to liberal Christianity within Christian denominations and to the teachings of the cults. More specifically, the term Orthodox (with a capital O; or, Eastern Orthodox) refers to the state churches of Eastern Europe and the eastern Mediterranean who split with Roman Catholicism of the West largely over the issue of papal authority.
Index of Cults and Religions
out4.gif
, Watchman Fellowship

Variety among Orthodox Churches

In Becoming Orthodoxhttp://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0962271330/christianministr
out4.gif
, Peter Gillquist asserts, ''The Orthodox church...miraculously carries today the same faith and life of the Church of the New Testament.''6 The presupposition behind this statement is that the Orthodox church is a unified body that speaks with one voice. In fact, Orthodoxy is not a monolithic bloc that shares a unified tradition and church life. The phrase ''Eastern Orthodoxy,'' commonly used to describe the Orthodox faith, actually refers to the dominant churches of Eastern Europe. In a broad sense, the Eastern tradition comprises all the Christian churches that separated at an early stage from the Western tradition (Rome) in order to follow one of the ancient patriarchies (Jerusalem, Antioch, Alexandria, and Constantinople).

During the twentieth century, these churches not only have spread throughout all continents, but also have penetrated many cultures that have not been traditionally associated with the Eastern tradition. Generally speaking, these churches can be grouped into one of the following:
  1. . The Orthodox churches in the Middle East. These belong to the most ancient oriental ecclesiastical units, and they include the Patriarchies of Constantinople (modern Istanbul), Alexandria (Egypt), Antioch (Syria and Lebanon), Jerusalem (Jordan and the occupied territories), the Armenian Catholicossates of Etchmiadzin (former Soviet Republic) and Cilicia (Lebanon), the Coptic Orthodox church (Egypt), and the Syrian Orthodox church (Syria, Beirut, and India). 7
  2. . The Orthodox Churches in Central and Eastern Europe. Both culturally and theologically, these churches follow closely the Byzantine (Constantinopolitan) tradition. Generally known as ''Eastern Orthodoxy,'' they include the autonomous churches of Russia, Romania, Serbia, Greece, Bulgaria, Georgia, Cyprus, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Poland, Albania, and Sinai.8
  3. . The Orthodox Diaspora. Organized outside the traditional Orthodox countries, these ecclesiastical communities are found in Western Europe, North and South America, Africa, Japan, China, and Australia.
These churches have significant theological, ecclesiastical, and cultural differences among themselves. For example, the fifth-century Monophysite controversy over whether Christ has two natures or one separated the Byzantine church from the ancient Eastern churches. Furthermore, the Eastern churches disagree on the date for Easter and the legitimacy of church hierarchy and sacraments. As a result of such differences, the Eastern churches have parallel ecclesiastical structures not only in the same country but even in the same city, thus disregarding the rule of one bishop in one city.

Culturally, in addition to differing local liturgical traditions, the link between church and nation that became characteristic of Eastern Orthodoxy led to the founding of churches on ethnic principles. Most of the churches understand themselves as the real protector of their individual nations, people, and cultures. Despite political benefits, the church-nation relationship raises questions regarding the universality and the unity of the church, particularly in times of political or military tension between nations supported by sister Orthodox churches.

Despite triumphalistic claims of Orthodox apologists that they embody the true apostolic faith, in reality there is a cluster of conflicting traditions, theologies, and ecclesiastical structures. Protestant evangelicals in America who were eager to embrace the Orthodox faith soon discovered that Orthodox churches in America are divided. In fact, their liturgies are spoken in their national languages and they are hesitant to welcome outsiders.9 For example, Frank Schaeffer, a passionate promoter of Orthodoxy, concluded that one side of the Orthodox church in America is a ''sort of social-ethnic club,'' infected with nominalism, materialism, ethnic pride, exclusivism, and indifference to the sacraments.10
Searching For The True Apostolic Church: What Evangelicals Should Know about Eastern Orthodoxy
out4.gif
, by Paul Negrut, Christian Research Journal, Winter 1998.

Upvote 0

cygnusx1

Jacob the twister.....
Apr 12, 2004
UK Northampton
Visit site
✟79,726.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
"COMING HOME" — TO WHAT?
Coming home," as Peter Gillquist puts it, is not a simple matter of arriving at the only true apostolic church, but rather a matter of choice between a number of Orthodox churches. Moreover, the Orthodox claim that they have preserved the Holy Tradition undistorted is contradicted by the disagreements between Orthodox theologians concerning Tradition.

Since man’s perceptive and rational faculties are understood as barriers in the way of deification, the Orthodox believe they have to be abandoned. Yet under the influence of the Platonic and Neo-Platonic categories, they make philosophical distinctions between God’s essence and energies. In teaching a mystical union between God and man, the Orthodox place the divine Persons into a kind of intermediary level between essence and energies.71 This doctrine moves the three divine Persons a step back from the work of salvation. Particularly, the offices of the Son and the Holy Spirit fade into the background as the mystical union with God is realized through impersonal energies.

Aware of this problem, Orthodox theologian Timiadis argues, "To a certain extent the dissatisfaction expressed at the use by the early Fathers of Aristotelian terms, and notably the desire to make less use of terms such as essence and energies, is very understandable. Whatever arguments may be advanced in their favour, they still risk being misunderstood on account of their impersonal character...A God who is reluctant to be with us, who sends us alternative powers and energies, contradicts the very sense of Christ’s Incarnation."72

The Orthodox view that Adam was a child and that his sin is to be understood merely as missing the road diminishes the gravity of sin and its consequences. Accordingly, Adam’s descendants inherited corruption and mortality, but not guilt. Each child remains innocent until he or she personally sins. According to Orthodox belief, baptism imparts new and immortal life, and since Orthodoxy practices infant baptism it follows that repentance and faith are not essential. Salvation understood mystically as deification and not as forensic justification by faith obscures the biblical records about Christ’s vicarious death.

Although it is clear from Peter Gillquist’s writings that he and his colleagues do not have a clear understanding of the Orthodox faith in its complexity, their claims to have discovered the true apostolic faith can mislead others, whose search for religious experience is influenced by limited knowledge and the current American hunger for mystical realities. A close look at Orthodoxy can help both the sincere searchers and the Orthodox churches themselves to avoid adding members to a romanticized, idealized church of the Western imagination rather than the real Orthodox churches.
http://www.equip.org/free/DE177.htm

Upvote 0

Quickened

Apr 24, 2005
✟200.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Ben johnson said:
As I understand Calvinism, "man is too corrupt to even consider believing in God (leaving Luke8:13 unanswered); so one who CAN ask about salvation, demonstrates he/she is OPEN to salvation".
An excellent answer --- well done. :)

Oh, all right. That's cool! Thank you for explaining it to me.

Ben johnson said:
When you tell your friend "believe", will you include the idea James was putting forth in 2:19?

What does it mean to believe? It's not like the devils way of believing. This is intellectual assent, professing that one knows that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. But this faith does not save. James shows that. I know, Paul brings up faith, saying that it saves. I believe that Paul was against the people who thought that they could earn salvation by what they did. But James was against mere intellectual assent. What does it mean to believe? Well, again, to believe is more than intellectual assent that Jesus is God (though it is necessary). It means to put our trust and confidence in Him, that He alone can save us. It's to put Christ in control of our present plans and eternal destiny, and to trust His words both as reliable and relying on Him for the power to change. How can one make Paul and James not be at odds (they were never, since the Scriptures are God-breathed (theopneustos))? Simple. If our faith is genuine, we will do good. Or, "Faith produces works; works perfects faith."

Ben johnson said:

Well, the Bible uses other synonymous words, such as "quickened" (hey, that's me :D ), "new creation," "born from above," etc. But, to be born again isn't like what Nicodemus thought, and that was to be born in the mothers womb again. But instead, it is when the unregenerate man becomes regenerate (born again) by the Holy Spirit. This birth is not physical, but spiritual. The regenerate man, who once hated God, will love Him, trust in Him, will not sin (this doesn't mean that Christians are without sin. Instead, it means that the Christian will not make sin a practice in his or her life). He will bear the fruit of the Spirit (see Galatians 5:22, 23), which can only come from the Spirit, and not of man himself. If you think about it, one fruit can lead to the other, such as love. If you love (see 1 Corinthians 13 to see the difference between the Christian love and the secular love), you will also be patient, kind, faithful, gentle, peaceful, etc.

In short, our attitudes, desires, and motives will be different, and being born of God makes you spiritually alive and puts you in God's family.

Edit: Please forgive my use of Scriptural words.:blush: I probably would explain to my friend in a different way (not away from Scripture) so that he or she could understand what I was saying instead of saying something like, "What? I thought you were talking about being 'born again.' And now you say 'regenerate'? What is 'regenerate'?"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

A Brother In Christ

Senior Veteran
Mar 30, 2005
Royal city, washington
✟5,985.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
answer with a question so I can not answer .....their question

Ben johnson said:
It's a question of "what does 'believe', mean". To simply believe that God exists (as the demons believe), is not salvation...
The world knows the term, "BORN AGAIN". Hollywood uses it with derision. The media throws it around with scorn. Everyone knows it is "associated with Christianity". But how many people know what it MEANS? Each of you --- and I --- must be able to describe what it is, what it means, and what it has to do with salvation...

So when someone walks up to any of us and asks, "What does BORN AGAIN mean?" What will the answer be?

Christ, H.S, and the Father taking residence inside my spirit in this lowly body

thelama..1 thes 5:16-18 God desires for all christains to do but he does not determine it...

Heb 6:17 unchanging of His council..
Hebrews 10:7 book of the will of God

1 cor 12:18 ...pleased him ..is thelama ...yet with setting the members it goes to determined

act 2:23 Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God,

Acts 4:28 counsel determined before to be done.... Christ dieing on cross

romans 9:19....For who hath resisted his will? boulamai

Upvote 0

Ben johnson

Legend
Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2002
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟76,549.00
Faith
Christian
Quickened said:
What does it mean to believe? It's not like the devils way of believing. This is intellectual assent, professing that one knows that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. But this faith does not save. James shows that.
Yes! Exactly! Bravo! :D
What does it mean to believe? Well, again, to believe is more than intellectual assent that Jesus is God (though it is necessary). It means to put our trust and confidence in Him, that He alone can save us. It's to put Christ in control of our present plans and eternal destiny, and to trust His words both as reliable and relying on Him for the power to change.

Well, the Bible uses other synonymous words, such as "quickened" (hey, that's me ), "new creation," "born from above," etc. But, to be born again isn't like what Nicodemus thought, and that was to be born in the mothers womb again. But instead, it is when the unregenerate man becomes regenerate (born again) by the Holy Spirit. This birth is not physical, but spiritual. The regenerate man, who once hated God, will love Him, trust in Him, will not sin (this doesn't mean that Christians are without sin. Instead, it means that the Christian will not make sin a practice in his or her life). He will bear the fruit of the Spirit (see Galatians 5:22, 23), which can only come from the Spirit, and not of man himself. If you think about it, one fruit can lead to the other, such as love. If you love (see 1 Corinthians 13 to see the difference between the Christian love and the secular love), you will also be patient, kind, faithful, gentle, peaceful, etc.

In short, our attitudes, desires, and motives will be different, and being born of God makes you spiritually alive and puts you in God's family.
Good answer; kinda what I was looking for --- "putting Christ in control", etcetera. There is something else that I don't seem to hear enough of; the nature of salvation, its essence, the way we are "empowered to overcome sin and temptation". That idea is expressed in 1Jn1:3, 6-7; and in Gal2:20; and in 2Cor5:17, etcetera.

Indwelt fellowship with the real person of Jesus, and the real person of the Holy Spirit. As Paul eloquently says in Gal2:20, I really believe that when we receive Jesus, He indwells us bodily. He becomes our strength and salvation, our righteousness THROUGH us. Thus --- far more than belief, it is intimate fellowship between Creator and creature.

It strikes me as a "control-thing"; take the bumper sticker that says, "God is my co-pilot". That one makes me sad. If God is someone's "co-pilot", he's in the WRONG SEAT.

"I have been CRUCIFIED with Christ, it is no longer I who lives, but CHRIST lives in me; and the life I now live in the flesh, I live by faith in the One who loved me and delivered Himself up for me." :D
I probably would explain to my friend in a different way (not away from Scripture) so that he or she could understand what I was saying instead of saying something like, "What? I thought you were talking about being 'born again.' And now you say 'regenerate'? What is 'regenerate'?"
Actually, you're right. "Born-again", and "regenerate" are inseparable. When we receive Jesus, then (through that belief) we receive the Holy Spirit; and through the received Spirit our hearts are regenerated. Yet --- we still have to walk IN the Spirit, daily; Rom8:12-14 plainly says we can "walk after flesh, and DIE; or by the Spirit putting to death the flesh, and live". Look at 1Cor6:11, where "washed/sanctified/justified in the name of Jesus, and in the Spirit" --- PAST TENSE. In Titus 3:5-6 is "washing of regeneration and renewing by the Holy Spirit" (through the POURED Spirit, poured through belief, "our Savior Jesus").

That was my only point. We cannot teach someone about "salvation", without using words like "indwelt fellowship", and explaining what "born-again" means.

We are "born-again", or "born-from-above", by "Christ IN us". No more complicated than that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

cygnusx1

Jacob the twister.....
Apr 12, 2004
UK Northampton
Visit site
✟79,726.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Ben johnson said:
You do know that Paul puts that statement forth, as coming from a DETRACTOR, one arguing with "Gentiles ALSO being saved"?

:p

Romans 9 is Paul laying out God's Soverign choice of individuals for mercy and for wrath. (Jacob , Esau , Pharoah etc)

the passage isn't primarily to do with Gentiles at all , but it is to do with God and Israel.... and God's MERCY !

The chapter (Romans 9) summed up ..........
How is it if the Jews are God's chosen people and they are deeply loved by God that they are not saved ???
The answer Paul gives is that God sees things completely different to the natural mind.
1st , God's word has not failed , on the contrary it has been fulfilled ...................
many assumed because the Jews rejected Jesus that God's Word including many predictions for the Jews has failed..........
after all the Jews as a nation a people had rejected Jesus.
Paul explains that in fact just the opposite of God's word 'failing' has occured!!!
God's word has been fulfilled to the letter.

Paul then explains using a number of illustrations that God chooses the individual for mercy ... "Jacob I loved"
then Paul does not hide the opposite truth , that God also chooses who He will harden ....... "Esau I hated" and "Pharoah I raised up .... to smash down !!!

Paul then insists God has a perfect right over all clay .........
'free-willers' deny this right , but Paul insists God not man is the potter and we are the clay ..... (man was made from clay)

God being every man's Creator has absolutely every right to do with each person as He sees fit .

But Paul sees a natural objection arise ..........

"but if this is the case , then who can resist God's will ?"

the idea is , how can God act like this , how can God decide the destiny of each creature , and each and every person?
It seems almost beyond belief that God would fashion a person for Glory or for destruction based upon His FREE WILL ....... because then how can He hold us responsible ?

Paul recognises the objections , but instead of denying God's absolute right over HIS creation and assuring the objector that man's free-will has primary focus in God's plan , Paul says that God's Free-will is paramount and man should not baulk at it , for baulking at it is sin and crazy .... who do you think you are , you are just a man , God made you not You God ..... so how do you have the stupidity and the audacity to reply against God!

Finally Paul shows that there is in fact two sides to God's plan .........
God loves Sovereignly (Jacob I loved but Esau I hated and that was before the children were born or had done anything good or bad)

yet ... the vessels of wrath (notice the plural , it isn't just Pharoah in view) fitted to destruction (by God , He is The Potter) have history !!!

It is not merely a question of fitting someone to destruction ..... there is a process involved.

The process is easily spotted by reading the account of Pharoah , yet furthermore this process involves much longsuffering from God over these vessels of wrath ......... God actualy is patient with them and He grants them many wonderful gifts , God does them good , God gives them many opportunities to repent , the only thing stopping them is their miserable sin loving and God hating desires.

and the reason God puts up with this pain , is in order to make known His wrath !

and the reason God has mercy is to make known the riches of His Glory.

Paul then adds that this Sovereign Salvation (for that is precisely what mercy is) is not just for the Jews but also for the Gentiles !

all of these things were predicted , including Israel's fall (and recovery) and the Gentiles being found when they DIDN'T seek God!

Upvote 0

Ben johnson

Legend
Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2002
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟76,549.00
Faith
Christian
Quickened said:
Thank you for the help, Ben. It's interesting though, that you made me think of what the Bible had to say by asking me several questions.
A question can accomplish much, while conveying respect for the person and his answer. :)
So, now I am glad and I am not as worried as I was before.
What were you worried about, Quickened?
Thanks again. Later
I'm honored and blessed by you.

Upvote 0

Ben johnson

Legend
Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2002
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟76,549.00
Faith
Christian
If I was saved or not. But looking in the Bible, the answers were there, so I'm not worried anymore. I think I'll hang around in Soteriology for a while to look for more answers.
If you have received Jesus as you Savior and Lord (Rm10:9-10), if you have "joined God's family as a begotten son, by receiving Jesus Christ and believing in His name" (Jn1:12-13), if you have "died to sin WITH Him, and raised anew" (Rm6, 2Cor5:17), if you "walk in HIm and in the Spirit, confessing/repenting your sins and KNOWING He forgives you, and FELLOWSHIP with Him" (1Jn1:3-8, Col2:6, Rom8:12-14), then you are SAVED. Don't doubt it; count on Him, on how He BOUGHT you from the Cross with HIs own blood.

Now that you ARE saved (to "Quickened" and EVERYONE ELSE), seek Him with all that you are; we are promised that "if we submit ourselves to God, and draw near to God HE will draw near to us; resist the devil and he will flee." (Jms4:7-8)

How do you "draw near"? PRAYER!!!!!!!

1. Praise/worship; God inhabits praise, when you praise Him (He DESERVES it!), He inhabits YOU.

2. Repentance: Confess your sins, and KNOW God forgives you. Then God does a miracle --- God, omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent, ultimate-power-in-the-Universe, FORGETS YOU SINNED! Heb8:12.

3. Thanksgiving: God never tires of hearing "than You"; unthankfulness is arguably the root of all sin. It is impossible to be arrogant AND thankful; thankfulness is the basis of humility.

4. Fellowship --- God DELIGHTS IN YOU; as you enjoy His presence, He really enjoys YOURS. He loves you. EACH of you. More than you can possibly know.

5. Intercession: Prayer moves God; MANY have been saved through prayers of another. Intercessory prayer changes YOU, as you open yourself to allow God to make you what you need to be to reach people. It is impossible to be SELFISH, when praying your heart out for OTHERS. Selfishness is Human nature; interceding for others ruins selfishness. And it vastly increases our LOVE for others.

6. Waiting on God; He will answer "yes", or "no"; or "wait". Listen for His voice! Open your heart and spirit to Him, let the Holy Spirit work miracles in your heart.

7. Last --- AND LEAST --- (sadly, most prayer begins and ends only with this) --- pettition. But God already knows your needs, and has promised to MEET your needs; He will also meet your desires --- if they are godly ones. God is not a "cosmic Santa" --- He's our DAD. Take your pettitions to Him, confident that He HEARS you; and that He really is your Father, loves you completely, and wants wonderful things for you.

Wonderful things that bring you incredible joy; sometimes sorrow (there is no maturing without occasional hurts); but eternal love. "These things I tell you, that My joy may be in you, and your joy may be complete." Jn15 Everything for HIS glory, not ours.

There is a book I read, it's all about "maturing in Christ" --- it's "A Celebration of Discipline", Richard J. Foster. Includes disciplines of fasting, solitude, etcetera.

God bless and keep you, Quickened; and whoever else might be reading this who belongs to Christ's family.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.