If Christian majorities controlled civil laws.... what would they be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nadiine

Apr 14, 2006
Obama: 53% deserve him ;)
✟292,219.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
We often complain about the immoral laws and corrupt system we live in; socially & politically....

but

IF we were all born again Christians and ran our own politics for the States we live in, what kind of civil laws would we want to create?

Would we make make fornication illegal? Living together? Would adultery be illegal? Would inappropriate content & strip clubs be illegal? Would we forbidding divorce except for biblical reasons? etc.?
What type of penalties would we attach to these laws?

In a "perfect world scenario" of a Christian majority, and if Christians were our politicans, how would we want our cities & states run in accordance w/ God's commands?

*(also posted in Conservative Christian Congregation/CCC)

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
we shouldn't /the end

hence the seperation between church and state
I agree. :thumbsup:

If Christians had all the political power, I would still want a limited constitutional republic (never mind how far away from that we've gotten) that does for the people only what they cannot do for themselves via the free market and voluntary associations. Neither should it determine their religion or their morals. That's not what government is for, it's what families and churches are for. In my view, government should be a referee only, not a player in the game.

And further, if we grant the assumption that we're all actually believing Christians, and not merely that believing Christians have the political power, there would be no need for any such laws.

Upvote 0

IisJustMe

He rescued me because He delighted in me (Ps18:19)
Jun 23, 2006
Blue Springs, Missouri
✟23,494.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
we shouldn't /the end

hence the seperation between church and state
There is no constitutional grounding for such a "separation" as it is currently interpreted, which is to say the courts are trying to enforce freedom from religion as opposed to freedom of religion. That said, I don't think the church needs to be involved in government, because Christ was not about government, but people. We do a better job (or theoretically should) of taking care of people.
If were talking about hard core fundamentalists Bible is 100.000% true & literal , I'd leave the country.
While I understand what you're saying, I have to wonder how you can accept portions of the Bible as true and accurate, literal in nature, and not all of it? At what point do you decide truth ends and myths begin? And how do you keep your perception of "myth" from calling into question your "truth"?

Upvote 0

Frisbee

Born twice, die once. Born once, die twice
Apr 1, 2008
Seattle~ish, WA
✟7,880.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Good question!

Our nation was founded on the principles of freedom, and a belief that freedom (specifically religious freedom) is best preserved by codifying (chipping into stone and into our Constitution) the iron clad garauntee of religious freedom by codifying a plurality of beliefs. Someone elarlier mentioned that he would leave the country if XYZ happened to be the case, and I would help him pack if he couldn't handle a free coutnry that embraced the bible as truth 100%. He is free to disagree, but if a condition is being demanded that we somehow set any standards whatsoever regarding biblical truth, I say maybe you should move then. This country is about freedom, not getting your way and forcing others to bend knee to your demands.

The founding fathers were fanatical in their belief that religious plurality was the best defense for religious freedom, and then they prevented Congress from passing any laws respecting the establishment of religion it was to protect from being overun, as happened in England, by a state controlled national sect of Christianity, not to establish a freedom from religion. It is the prevailing and accepted interpretation by most Americans, but is in wrong. You have a long line of Supreme Court rulings that do indeed help one to come to that conclusion, but it is erroneous that it was a part of the original intent of the founding fathers. Anyhow...

I would change only that we return the country that our founding fathers gave us and eject the monstrosity we currently are trying to fix. This country is broken not because if flawed founding principles, but because it was hijacked by left wing extremists who have diluted it and distorted it so badly, that it would be barely recognizable to any of the founding fathers.

Upvote 0

ReformedChapin

Chapin = Guatemalan
Apr 29, 2005
✟18,338.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
There is no constitutional grounding for such a "separation" as it is currently interpreted, which is to say the courts are trying to enforce freedom from religion as opposed to freedom of religion. That said, I don't think the church needs to be involved in government, because Christ was not about government, but people. We do a better job (or theoretically should) of taking care of people.
I didn't tend to promote current understanding of separating of church and state. However, I know the importance of the view of our funding fathers held in order to protect the church from abuse.

Upvote 0

Kelly

Dungeon Master
Mar 20, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟24,334.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That's the rub isn't it? Do people who get abortions get the death penalty or prison time, for example? Or the doctors?

All divorce is unpermissible except in adulterous situations? What about a physically abusive, drunkard spouse? Refuse marriages to believers and non-believers as unequally yoked?

One of the things that I love about our faith is that it is done out of love, not fear.

Upvote 0

Psalms34

◄♫♪♫ תהלים ♫♪♫►
Nov 20, 2004
Southern Calif
✟22,982.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Constitution
What laws? … hmm
I’d remove 99.99% of the laws on the books and return to generally the laws in place during maybe the first 40 years of the United States. Not all of them though, some are outdated, but in a general sense a return to the simplification of laws. Most traffic laws would remain, as well as aircraft, rail and boating laws, but generally most would be tossed in the shredder. Also of course the holocaust would be ended, no more murdering babies, it would fit under the penalties of murder as it should. Just good basic fundamentalist type laws, not too much and not too little, no prohibition but no allowance for abortion other than the mother at risk of immanent death -and that is iiiiiincredibly rare.

Yes, separation of church and state is twisted now, resembling nothing as it used to be or ever-ever was intended. I can’t believe anyone here would have bought into that, but I guess it happens :scratch:

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'd much rather see the church make a difference independent of the law than make the law. We shouldn't use the law as a club to get our way, we should be a city on a hill, a light to the world.

The one exception I would make is abortion, and that is because people are being murdered on demand. When people die, that's where I draw the line.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Psalms34

◄♫♪♫ תהלים ♫♪♫►
Nov 20, 2004
Southern Calif
✟22,982.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Constitution
Kinda strange though, I mean some of you are saying that influence of the Church upon state is somehow a bad thing. Something that was basically set up as a principle of this nation from the beginning, not of Buddha, not of Mohammad, not of Zeus, but of the bible and those principles of which God gave us to live by. Seemed to have worked… I mean what republic has ever survived over 200 years as it was created?

HOWEVER, that has actually changed, I watched the change in my life time, it’s not actually separation of Church and state being practiced but separation of state from Christ. That is obvious, but that is not the whole enchilada, because they have already replaced the separation as it once was with the new state sanctioned religion, and that religion is Darwinism. THAT’s what we have, nothing more and nothing less, and it is in fact a religion for all intensive purposes, one that actually takes more faith to believe in than Christianity, in fact actual blind faith, that they claim we practice, which is far from the truth. It is dogmatic and has no place for co-existence in this life time with other beliefs, as Christianity once offered.

So will you stop abortion w/o Christ? Doubt it, not with Darwinism as the state religion, it teaches you are a piece of scum that rose from a pond and better off not existing any longer but to make way for mother earth and all her masteries of evolution. That the Creator is dead and the Creature taking the rightful place receiving it’s full worship due. Will we stop abortion if we stop Darwinism? I don’t think so either, but under Republican or Democrat rule, both parties are equally guilty of allowing this holocaust to maintain momentum. Only a return to the God of the bible will fix our problems, only that will work and nothing else.

2 Chronicles 7:14 if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

But we don’t do that, not on a whole. It’s a promise to those who belong to Him, does not need everyone else. It’s not that we will heal our land if we do such a thing, but that He will do it. We can have faith, pray that it will happen, but faith without works is a dead faith, so accomplishes nothing. So we put our trust in man, take in the promises, vote for them with a herd mentality and sit back. Clinton, Obama or McCain, pick the best of the evils. I mean my gosh, if we don’t WIN, how shall the economy ever recover, oh my. But I always thought that if we did do the right things, all those other things like a strong economy would be added onto us, as a blessing from the God of the bible no matter how poorly we manage our grain stores. To not worry about tomorrow, what we will eat or wear, that God will provide if we just do His will.

So the Dems fight for freedom to murder, Reps play smoke and mirrors and deceive their Christian followers with flowery words then never deliver on their promises. There is no end to it. You cant legislate it away, the laws wont come. You can hope that MAYBE some day you can get judges in (after millions dead), but that is no guarantee that even if they get in there that they will do anything about it. Bush didn’t, he knew better than to commit political suicide, he threw up his hands right away when challenged, never even followed through. He used executive orders, but never to stop the holocaust. When the Reps had majority plus a president, they didn’t bother to challenge the courts and overturn RvW as being unconstitutional, didn’t even try though many strongly stressed that it could be done. Yet lives are still lost, it goes on and on, much like the smoke from Auschwitz.

God have mercy on us all. My Brothers and Sisters in Christ cant figure it out for the life of them, and those of us that can see it just cant scream loud enough to be taken seriously.

Proverbs 24:30 I went by the field of the lazy man,
And by the vineyard of the man devoid of understanding;
31 And there it was, all overgrown with thorns;
Its surface was covered with nettles;
Its stone wall was broken down.
32 When I saw it, I considered it well;
I looked on it and received instruction:
33 A little sleep, a little slumber,
A little folding of the hands to rest;
34 So shall your poverty come like a prowler,
And your need like an armed man.

Upvote 0

Kelly

Dungeon Master
Mar 20, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟24,334.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Questioning a religious state vs. personal faith is not a question of God's rightness or wrongness. Shoot, just look at how vastly different people interpret scripture! Do you want someone of a different outlook/denom/etc telling you how to interpret the Bible through laws? NO WAY. Our system is pretty good as it is, and many of God's laws exist here already, especially the ones about personal protection and property protection.

It's a question of being forced to accept God's law, thus making us a state like Saudi Arabia, or having ears willing to hear, and listening to the helper's small voice within us grow.

Upvote 0

MrJDSmith

A nobody who knows nothing
Feb 4, 2007
✟8,623.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
one new law I'd impliment based on 1Thessalonians 5:22 "Avoid every kind of evil."

1.0 Evil is defined as anything against God, including adultery, witchcraft, magic, out of wedlock fornication, murder, ect.
2.0 All books, games, movies, web sites, dealing with any of the above are now baned, and subject to stoning.

Upvote 0

MaidforHim

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2006
✟21,263.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We often complain about the immoral laws and corrupt system we live in; socially & politically....

but

IF we were all born again Christians and ran our own politics for the States we live in, what kind of civil laws would we want to create?

Would we make make fornication illegal? Living together? Would adultery be illegal? Would inappropriate content & strip clubs be illegal? Would we forbidding divorce except for biblical reasons? etc.?
What type of penalties would we attach to these laws?

In a "perfect world scenario" of a Christian majority, and if Christians were our politicans, how would we want our cities & states run in accordance w/ God's commands?

*(also posted in Conservative Christian Congregation/CCC)

Do you mean if the entire population was born again Christian ?

If so...

I wonder if we were all born again Christians how many of these things you mentioned would we have to bother outlawing? Would they still be a problem?

I think one of the reasons some Christians are tempted with immoral activities like for example a strip club is because they exist. If we were all born again Christians strip clubs would most likely not exist and so who would be tempted? There'd be no need to outlaw them.

Maybe I am looking at this from too nieve a perspective, would we still be in a fallen world where Satan is tempting people?

I think if our whole society were born again Christian all we'd need to do is follow Jesus' teachings and the only leadership we'd need would be provided by God Himself. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MrJDSmith

A nobody who knows nothing
Feb 4, 2007
✟8,623.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
So, still under the Law?
as a mentor stated.
94137_01_272w.jpg

I am the law.

Upvote 0

Girly3302

Jan 1, 2006
✟894.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Questioning a religious state vs. personal faith is not a question of God's rightness or wrongness. Shoot, just look at how vastly different people interpret scripture! Do you want someone of a different outlook/denom/etc telling you how to interpret the Bible through laws? NO WAY. Our system is pretty good as it is, and many of God's laws exist here already, especially the ones about personal protection and property protection.

It's a question of being forced to accept God's law, thus making us a state like Saudi Arabia, or having ears willing to hear, and listening to the helper's small voice within us grow.
Good point.Would we have a two party Christian system like Baptist and Pentecostals. When the Baptist are in power they could make speaking in tongues in public against the law and if the Pentecostals defeated them they would repeal the law and so on. The Anglicans would get into power and make gay marriage legal or the SDA's would make all business close on Saturdays and so on.

I agree, with so many denominations and different beliefs it wouldn't work.

Reactions: Kelly
Upvote 0

Nadiine

Apr 14, 2006
✟292,219.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Do you mean if the entire population was born again Christian ?

If so...

I wonder if we were all born again Christians how many of these things you mentioned would we have to bother outlawing? Would they still be a problem?

I think one of the reasons some Christians are tempted with immoral activities like for example a strip club is because they exist. If we were all born again Christians strip clubs would most likely not exist and so who would be tempted? There'd be no need to outlaw them.

Maybe I am looking at this from too nieve a perspective, would we still be in a fallen world where Satan is tempting people?

I think if our whole society were born again Christian all we'd need to do is follow Jesus' teachings and the only leadership we'd need would be provided by God Himself. :thumbsup:
Good questions --

Well, I don't know if I meant that all PEOPLE were born again in my scenario... but for sure just the lawmakers. The people we elected as our politicians who had power to get laws changed.

Since we still sin as Christians, I would think that even if we as the people were all born again believers, that we'd still fall into sin and strife and need laws to govern us and keep us on track; after all, we do have offspring who would be growing up & they don't necessarily take to Christianity despite how much their parents might hope they would.
If anything, the offspring will be doing immoral things eventually (like alot of us did while we had Christian parents).:holy: :blush: :sorry:

Upvote 0

Nadiine

Apr 14, 2006
✟292,219.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Good point.Would we have a two party Christian system like Baptist and Pentecostals. When the Baptist are in power they could make speaking in tongues in public against the law and if the Pentecostals defeated them they would repeal the law and so on. The Anglicans would get into power and make gay marriage legal or the SDA's would make all business close on Saturdays and so on.

I agree, with so many denominations and different beliefs it wouldn't work.
that's definitely a consideration and an issue.... but we could still ban or outlaw more of the obvious serious immoralities that we know exist..
strip clubs, inappropriate content, stricter laws on TV/Radio allowances (ie. the nudity & serious cussing would be nearly taken away)...

I think you keep coming back to turning into a puritanical environment with each thing you ban becuz it leads to one more.
You keep coming up with the question, "if we ban this, then we also need to ban: __________________"?

Then again, all these immoral things took the same process of slowly becomming legal and acceptable one by one too.
You're just re-implimenting them to what they were before people degraded them.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.