If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, ...

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟83,758.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 5:
39 But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also.

Ellicott's Commentary for English Readers:
our Lord Himself, when smitten by the servant of the high priest, protested, though He did not resist (John 18:22-23), and that St. Paul, under like outrage, was vehement in his rebuke (Acts 23:3); and (2) in the fact that the whole context shows that the Sermon on the Mount is not a code of laws, but the assertion of principles. And the principle in this matter is clearly and simply this, that the disciple of Christ, when he has suffered wrong, is to eliminate altogether from his motives the natural desire to retaliate or accuse.

John 18:
22 When he had said these things, one of the officers standing by struck Jesus with his hand, saying, “Is that how you answer the high priest?” 23Jesus answered him, “If what I said is wrong, bear witness about the wrong; but if what I said is right, why do you strike me?”
Jesus didn't turn the other cheek here.

Jamieson-Fausset-Brown Bible Commentary:
Our Lord's own meek, yet dignified bearing, when smitten rudely on the cheek (Joh 18:22, 23), and not literally presenting the other, is the best comment on these words. It is the preparedness, after one indignity, not to invite but to submit meekly to another, without retaliation, which this strong language is meant to convey.

I wouldn't take Mat 5:39 literally. Jesus used this strong language figuratively. The point is to suppress your instinct to retaliate; do the exact opposite instead.

Last edited:

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Lamentations 3:28-30 “So I said, “My endurance has perished, and my hope from Adonai.” Remember my affliction my homelessness, bitterness and gall. Let him sit alone and be silent, since He has laid it upon him. Let him put his mouth in the dust— there may yet be hope. Let him offer his cheek to the one who strikes him. Let him have his fill of disgrace.”

Upvote 0