Sarasota
✟37,915.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Idols and narcissism has always been around even way back in ancient days.
But with social media like Tiktok, Instagram, and Youtube etc., it seems that
we are at levels of narcissism we have never witnessed in history before.

Now don't get me wrong. It's great to see people love themselves. But when you
are young and beautiful (because arguably anyone that is physically in their youth
IS physically beautiful and we all had that once too), it seems that we worship
or idolize ourselves to a scale unprecedented in history. Literally all you see
are selfies, face filters, young girls and guys posting themselves how beautiful
they are, how great their faces are, make up, fashion, and how good looking they
are in different sceneries etc. I remember when I was 12 or 16 and I had youtful
skin with no wrinkles, a glow, sure even if u have some acne here and there, you
still have that soft supple flawless skin and nice hair, nice body. Naturally as we
age, our physical bodies always deteriorate relative to it's peak physical youth.
We gain weight in our faces and our bodies, our skin gets wrinkly, age spots form
everywhere, warts, and bumps, and our hair thins or falls out, hair starts growing
out of places you never knew could etc.

Now of course, in your older age, idolizing/narcissism takes a different form. You
don't show off your physical beauty anymore because you don't really have it
compared to a teenager / early 20s, but you do have money, or you start to show
off your car, your house, your travels, your investments, your career, your titles,
achievements etc.

I can see why God made the 1st commandment "Thou shall not make/have any idols
before me". It is the greatest problem I see today in terms of worshipping ourselves
or other idols and not God.

Is there any resolution to this? Is there any way for us to deal or handle this? I don't think there is because ultimately we can't do anything about it. It's their choice to idolize themselves if they want. I mean, there is a solution to it but it's not a great one. If major war breaks out where you live and life is reduced to shambles and desolation, then you won't be idolizing your fashion or good looks or superficial things like that. You'll only be focused on how to find your next meal, shelter, clothes, medicine, and protecting your loved ones. I don't mean maybe that is what we need to stop all this narcissism and idolatry but in some twisted way, I feel like that is the only way to get us back to the basics and focus on what is important in life and not spending 8 hours a day looking at our own faces and recording it to show it off to millions of viewers each day.

I need the love of Jesus to soften my heart and help me because this really upsets me and bothers me a lot. Yes, if I'm not young and beautiful anymore, there would be room for envy/jealousy. Yes, if I'm not rich and powerful even though I am older and should be, then there is room for jealousy/envy to those who do have it. So I do realize it's a personal problem I have within my own heart too and it seems there is no way to deal with it simply because you can't go around telling people not to be young and look beautiful and you can't go around telling people not to be old, wealthy and powerful. So even though narcissism is rampant and out of control in our media, this is more a "me" problem. I need prayer.

Last edited:

Tranquil Bondservant

Nothing without Elohim
Oct 11, 2022
Somewhere
✟61,675.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
"Man’s nature, so to speak, is a perpetual factory of idols. After the Flood there was a sort of rebirth of the world, but not many years passed by before men were fashioning gods according to their pleasure … Man’s mind, full as it is of pride and boldness, dares to imagine a god according to its own capacity; as it sluggishly plods, indeed is overwhelmed with the crassest ignorance, it conceives an unreality and an empty appearance as God.

To these evils a new wickedness joins itself, that man tries to express in his work the sort of God he has inwardly conceived. Therefore the mind begets an idol; the hand gives it birth. The example of the Israelites shows the origin of idolatry to be that men do not believe God is with them unless he shows himself physically present." -John Calvin

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟470,514.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

are young and beautiful (because arguably anyone that is physically in their youth
are selfies, face filters, young girls and guys posting themselves how beautiful
they are, how great their faces are, make up, fashion, and how good looking they
are in different sceneries etc. I remember when I was 12 or 16 and I had youtful
skin with no wrinkles, a glow, sure even if u have some acne here and there, you
still have that soft supple flawless skin and nice hair, nice body. Naturally as we
age, our physical bodies always deteriorate relative to it's peak physical youth.
We gain weight in our faces and our bodies, our skin gets wrinkly, age spots form
everywhere, warts, and bumps, and our hair thins or falls out, hair starts growing

Now of course, in your older age, idolizing/narcissism takes a different form. You
off your car, your house, your travels, your investments, your career, your titles,
achievements etc.

before me". It is the greatest problem I see today in terms of worshipping ourselves

Is there any resolution to this? Is there any way for us to deal or handle this? I don't think there is because ultimately we can't do anything about it. It's their choice to idolize themselves if they want. I mean, there is a solution to it but it's not a great one. If major war breaks out where you live and life is reduced to shambles and desolation, then you won't be idolizing your fashion or good looks or superficial things like that. You'll only be focused on how to find your next meal, shelter, clothes, medicine, and protecting your loved ones. I don't mean maybe that is what we need to stop all this narcissism and idolatry but in some twisted way, I feel like that is the only way to get us back to the basics and focus on what is important in life and not spending 8 hours a day looking at our own faces and recording it to show it off to millions of viewers each day.

I need the love of Jesus to soften my heart and help me because this really upsets me and bothers me a lot. Yes, if I'm not young and beautiful anymore, there would be room for envy/jealousy. Yes, if I'm not rich and powerful even though I am older and should be, then there is room for jealousy/envy to those who do have it. So I do realize it's a personal problem I have within my own heart too and it seems there is no way to deal with it simply because you can't go around telling people not to be young and look beautiful and you can't go around telling people not to be old, wealthy and powerful. So even though narcissism is rampant and out of control in our media, this is more a "me" problem. I need prayer.

My advice is to focus on Jesus and heavenly things and you will end up losing your desire for earthy things.

One of the signs of Jesus coming is the love of self which as you noted is an epidemic.

2 Timothy 3 But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come: 2 For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, 3 unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good, 4 traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, 5 having a form of godliness but denying its power. And from such people turn away! 6 For of this sort are those who creep into households and make captives of gullible women loaded down with sins, led away by various lusts, 7 always learning and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth. 8 Now as Jannes and Jambres resisted Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, disapproved concerning the faith; 9 but they will progress no further, for their folly will be manifest to all, as theirs also was.

I once was caught up in earthy things and none of that made me happy. Living for God is the only way to find true peace.

God bless!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

seeker2122

Sep 29, 2022
Sarasota
✟37,915.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My advice is to focus on Jesus and heavenly things and you will end up losing your desire for earthy things.

One of the signs of Jesus coming is the love of self which as you noted is an epidemic.

2 Timothy 3 But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come: 2 For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, 3 unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good, 4 traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, 5 having a form of godliness but denying its power. And from such people turn away! 6 For of this sort are those who creep into households and make captives of gullible women loaded down with sins, led away by various lusts, 7 always learning and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth. 8 Now as Jannes and Jambres resisted Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, disapproved concerning the faith; 9 but they will progress no further, for their folly will be manifest to all, as theirs also was.

I once was caught up in earthy things and none of that made me happy. Living for God is the only way to find true peace.

God bless!

Thank you for sharing! Can I ask you a personal question if you don't mind?
How old are you? If you don't want to give exact age, you can do a range like, 60+ or 50+ etc.

Upvote 0

Gentle Lamb

"Let there be sheep!"
Supporter
Jul 18, 2009
✟267,705.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Th

achievements etc.

The solution is always the gospel. Maybe take a break from social media. I did years ago and I haven't died from lack of it. Actually, I have lived. Praise God. Focus on Jesus. He is the ultimate solution to everything. Forgive this narcissistic young generation and pray for them. God loves you so much. He loves them too. God bless you.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟933,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I wish we would stop using this word carelessly to describe behaviors we don’t agree with. Taking selfies doesn’t mean you’re narcissistic. Nor does sharing photos of a trip or holiday decorations at home. There’s specific criteria.

Narcissism is characterized by a grandiose sense of self-importance, a lack of empathy for others, a need for excessive admiration, and the belief that one is unique and deserving of special treatment. If you encounter someone who consistently exhibits these behaviors, you may be dealing with a highly narcissistic individual.

As the definition demonstrates it goes beyond self-interest and I doubt most used it frequently until it gained prominence in our culture.

We didn’t complain when we saw the same in magazines or advertisements. Nor tv shows and specials or seasonal windows at local stores. It was perfectly fine when it resided with the wealthy and celebrities. They’re out of reach and we expect them to live well.

The only time it became bothersome is when we witnessed the same from others. Someone closer and more like us. The neighbor we never knew. Then all hell broke loose. The mirage was shattered and we discovered we’re not the same. There’s differences and it bothers us.

The problem isn’t the person we’re looking at. It’s how we feel in relation to what we see and handle our shortcomings. When we’re content we’re able to appreciate beauty in all its guises. Whether we possess the same or not the value remains and we know it.

But when we’re not in a good place we feel angered and slighted. We resent the lack and become enamored with its acquisition or grow embittered if we’re unable to bridge the gap. We excuse the hardening and point the finger elsewhere while ignoring our shadow.

No one should have to hide their loveliness for we are fearlessly and wonderfully made. No one should have to restrain their joy and appreciation for God’s grace and blessings.

Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep.

What a strange world this is. When you’re down and out or have a problem it isn’t difficult to find an ear. But when all is well you’d better keep your mouth shut lest you offend someone with your gladness.

Once upon a time we gave testimonies and bore witness to the blessings, miracles and answered prayers we received. But you can’t do it now and if you do stick to safe admissions like healing, jobs, and minor financial gifts. You can’t tell the big stuff anymore. Someone might get offended or label you instead.

That’s the thing about community. You don’t get 25 copies of yourself. There’s going to be some diversity and we need to get used to it. Are we that far gone that we’re bothered by pictures of people we’ll never meet? We need a heart check and giant dose of prayer and fasting to get our house in order. Change begins at home.

~bella

Upvote 0

seeker2122

Sep 29, 2022
Sarasota
✟37,915.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I wish we would stop using this word carelessly to describe behaviors we don’t agree with. Taking selfies doesn’t mean you’re narcissistic. Nor does sharing photos of a trip or holiday decorations at home. There’s specific criteria.

Narcissism is characterized by a grandiose sense of self-importance, a lack of empathy for others, a need for excessive admiration, and the belief that one is unique and deserving of special treatment. If you encounter someone who consistently exhibits these behaviors, you may be dealing with a highly narcissistic individual.

As the definition demonstrates it goes beyond self-interest and I doubt most used it frequently until it gained prominence in our culture.

We didn’t complain when we saw the same in magazines or advertisements. Nor tv shows and specials or seasonal windows at local stores. It was perfectly fine when it resided with the wealthy and celebrities. They’re out of reach and we expect them to live well.

The only time it became bothersome is when we witnessed the same from others. Someone closer and more like us. The neighbor we never knew. Then all hell broke loose. The mirage was shattered and we discovered we’re not the same. There’s differences and it bothers us.

The problem isn’t the person we’re looking at. It’s how we feel in relation to what we see and handle our shortcomings. When we’re content we’re able to appreciate beauty in all its guises. Whether we possess the same or not the value remains and we know it.

But when we’re not in a good place we feel angered and slighted. We resent the lack and become enamored with its acquisition or grow embittered if we’re unable to bridge the gap. We excuse the hardening and point the finger elsewhere while ignoring our shadow.

No one should have to hide their loveliness for we are fearlessly and wonderfully made. No one should have to restrain their joy and appreciation for God’s grace and blessings.

Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep.

What a strange world this is. When you’re down and out or have a problem it isn’t difficult to find an ear. But when all is well you’d better keep your mouth shut lest you offend someone with your gladness.

Once upon a time we gave testimonies and bore witness to the blessings, miracles and answered prayers we received. But you can’t do it now and if you do stick to safe admissions like healing, jobs, and minor financial gifts. You can’t tell the big stuff anymore. Someone might get offended or label you instead.

That’s the thing about community. You don’t get 25 copies of yourself. There’s going to be some diversity and we need to get used to it. Are we that far gone that we’re bothered by pictures of people we’ll never meet? We need a heart check and giant dose of prayer and fasting to get our house in order. Change begins at home.

~bella

Thank you for sharing.
I agree as I mentioned myself, the main issue is not so much external (what other people are doing because they have always been doing this same thing in some way shape or form even in ancient times) but it is more internal and it tells me there is something unsettled inside me. Having said this, it is also true that my observations are not illusions and just a reflection of my inner condition. There is also the reality of what is going on in this world we live in and it's really bad and getting worse. As the Bible said, we are going towards the days of Noah and that is what will happen before the world is judged again by the return of Christ. A flood will happen again but not in the sense of water killing everyone but in that judgment that God will wipe out all the evil doers because a new Heaven and Earth will be created for the righteous in Christ.

Also, I'd like to add that while the term narcissism is being used a lot, it doesn't have to be 100% to the definition. If we are 50% of it, then we still narcissistic.

Same like being called a sinner. Even if we just did a small sin, we would still be called sinners.

I also see the similarity in the term racism which is also been overblown and used way too much for obvious reasons. People are called racists when they probably are not simply because of 1 instance that they showed prejudice/discrimination but what if 99% of our life we lived loving others and had no problems with others but that 1% moment we are caught discriminating against a person of color, would it be fair to call us a full blown racist? I don't think so and that is the problem in our society today. If you are 0.01% racist, then you are 100% racist. But of course this is not true or at least it shouldn't be because then that would mean we are either ALL racists or none of us are. There is not one person in the history of this world that doesn't have or never had a little bit of prejudice to someone that looked different than us, sounded different, dressed different, ate different, lived different etc. It's more accurate to refer to it as "tribalism" since racism is just a term that was coined in 1902. What was it called before 1902? There was no word for it. So it makes us think about it a little more deeper. Tribalism is actually necessary and healthy to have for 99% of our agrarian lifestyle because it protected us, our village, our families from invaders, danger, the unknown. Tribalism was built-in to our systems and mindsets as a natural mechanism for survival. It wasn't really because we are just "racist" towards a certain people.

I think in the same way narcissism is that right now. Taking selfies and photos is ok when you want to share it with your family and friends for actual communication to share each other's lives. But when people do this to show it to other people they don't know and do it for money or mammon, then it becomes narcissism right away. You have confidence in your materialism or physical beauty that you want to show it off (even if not meant with malintent or ill-will) it is having confidence (mammon) in your life, your materialism, your pleasures, yourself and showing it off to strangers so that you can get fame and wealth IS narcissistic IMHO. If we should have confidence in anything and want to show it off, it should be our hope in Jesus Christ only. Now the deeper question would be....can you be a narcissist for Jesus? haha. I suppose so! God opposes the proud but when he says that he means being proud in ourselves. But I don't think God would oppose those who are proud in Jesus (confident in Jesus and showing it off). ^^

I appreciate your sharing bella!

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟933,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
There is also the reality of what is going on in this world we live in and it's really bad and getting worse.

There’s a lot wrong in the world and if you look you can find something amiss on the hour. But that isn’t my mindset or disposition. I look for the good and holy amidst the muck. Because its there and frequently overshadowed by the negative stuff.

My relationship with God and knowledge of His word hasn’t dampened my joy. I see beauty everywhere. That’s my frequency. Ugliness hasn’t shrouded it. I rest in peace continually because I’m peaceful. That’s reflected in my person and environment. While others dwell on the problems I’m praising the ram and delight in his presence.

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.

This is my touchstone. That’s why I’m happy in spite of everything taking place. I meditate on that not the world. Not the problem. Not the negative. Not the lack.

And if more people did the same they wouldn’t be beset with mental health issues, relational problems, or internal maelstroms. When you get your head right the rest is easier. That’s the inbox. Fill it with junk and junk you’ll become.

Taking selfies and photos is ok when you want to share it with your family and friends for actual communication to share each other's lives. But when people do this to show it to other people they don't know and do it for money or mammon, then it becomes narcissism right away.

That’s not yours to decide nor can you say with certainty why anyone does anything unless you converse. You don’t know their story, Observations aren’t facts. It’s a sliver of the whole. You need other things to confirm your suspicions.

You have confidence in your materialism or physical beauty that you want to show it off (even if not meant with malintent or ill-will) it is having confidence (mammon) in your life, your materialism, your pleasures, yourself and showing it off to strangers so that you can get fame and wealth IS narcissistic IMHO.

I don’t what’s funnier. The fact I represent the things you condemn and do it well. Yet I’m talking to you and others with struggles I don’t have. My life is easy. But I’m helping others who can’t say the same and blessing them. You have to be careful about judging a book by its cover. You might be wrong.

~bella

Upvote 0

seeker2122

Sep 29, 2022
Sarasota
✟37,915.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My relationship with God and knowledge of His word hasn’t dampened my joy. I see beauty everywhere. That’s my frequency. Ugliness hasn’t shrouded it. I rest in peace continually because I’m peaceful. That’s reflected in my person and environment. While others dwell on the problems I’m praising the ram and delight in his presence.

This is a great attitude and a good approach! There is nothing wrong with it. However, just because you only focus on the good, doesn't mean the bad isn't real and exists. So it is only one way of looking at it. I definitely agree it's not healthy for me to be bothered and upset by all the ungodly things that go on in this world and I should focus less on that and focus more on just the goodness of God.
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.

This is my touchstone. That’s why I’m happy in spite of everything taking place. I meditate on that not the world. Not the problem. Not the negative. Not the lack.

And if more people did the same they wouldn’t be beset with mental health issues, relational problems, or internal maelstroms. When you get your head right the rest is easier. That’s the inbox. Fill it with junk and junk you’ll become.

It's very beautiful and clean, yet simplistic approach. It certainly does not mean there would be no mental problems, health problems etc. Living a life purely focused on God doesn't exempt us from sufferings and tragedy as we still live in the sinful world, fighting against our sinful natures, and as the Bible says, only in the end when he comes to put everything through his fire will all the impurities burn away and only what is unshaken will remain.

You have a very "prosperity gospel" outlook which I can appreciate, but I always see and am pained by the evil and sin of this world at the same time. It should matter in your heart and hurt you as it hurts God. I don't think simply ignoring all the evil and ungodly because it's too messy and ugly to sort through that the easiest way is to simply block it all out. Part of Christianity living is to confront that which is wrong, point it out, expose it, proclaim against it and rebuke it and we should have a heart and desire to pray about it. But I probably do this WAY too much so I am on the other extreme.

That’s not yours to decide nor can you say with certainty why anyone does anything unless you converse. You don’t know their story, Observations aren’t facts. It’s a sliver of the whole. You need other things to confirm your suspicions.

Matthew 7:15-20 - I don't have to know them personally to know if they are sinning or living ungodly ways by putting their confidence in things other than God (Mammon). Sin is still sin. One does not need to investigate sin, try it, taste it, do it, to know if it is sin or not.

I don’t what’s funnier. The fact I represent the things you condemn and do it well. Yet I’m talking to you and others with struggles I don’t have. My life is easy. But I’m helping others who can’t say the same and blessing them. You have to be careful about judging a book by its cover. You might be wrong.

~bella

Once again, I think you have a very beautiful and simple approach and if that works for you, I think it is your blessing.
I also think it leans too much on the prosperity gospel side. Life is not easy and comfortable just because you focus on God only and do
right in his eyes. While we live on this earth ruled by sin, we Christians will suffer and have struggles because we were called to this path.
I am very against the grain of this world and I hate the things God hates, yet I find myself also in them and struggling WITH the very same thing
I hate and know I should not do. Paul says the same in Romans 7.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟933,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
This is a great attitude and a good approach! There is nothing wrong with it. However, just because you only focus on the good, doesn't mean the bad isn't real and exists.

I have no difficulty acknowledging good and bad. But I don’t steep my mind in the latter. It’s counterproductive. I cast my cares. That’s the difference.
You have a very "prosperity gospel" outlook which I can appreciate, but I always see and am pained by the evil and sin of this world at the same time.

I don’t have a prosperity gospel outlook nor do I agree with their teachings. In light of your statement on your other thread, I think our perspectives differ.

But for all my life, this has been the one thing that everything else in my life hinges upon and the reason why I am utterly depressed everyday even if I am a so-called Christian....I can honestly say right now in my immaturity, Christ's love is not enough for me. I am not satisfied with just being a Christian and serving in ministry yet never having a taste of human/earthly romantic love.

I would never say the same. I’ve forsaken my heart in deference to my faith. He is first and all. No man means more to me than God. I gave up everyone for Him. That’s why I’m happy, whole, healed, delivered, prosperous and thriving. Maybe that’s your stumbling block. You have conditions I don’t.

One thing is clear in this and the other post. Something is troubling you. I hope you find the answers and your peace is restored.

~bella

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums