✟15,677.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I have a question.
I want to know how to discern and identify what is sin in my life. Sometimes I have the tendency to react to something as if it was a sin, even though it may not have been. As an example, just today I had to do math problems at school, and instead of doing them the regular way I sort of did them in a "cheap or quick" way. Which in my consience set off something about "is this cheating or disonest, and therefore a sin?" I go through these things a lot, and several times a day, where I am not sure if something was a sin or not. How can I learn to identify this type of stuff?

Now Also I KNow that the Holy Spirit convicts us about sin, but when there is something I know explicitly wrong from the scriptures I am convicted about it if I do it, but sometimes I will do something that will make me unsure if it was sin or not.

Last edited:

Harry3142

Apr 9, 2006
Ohio
✟20,229.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
AndrewK9-

There are sins which are universally seen as sins, such as murder, theft, adultery, giving false testimony against another, and plotting to obtain what is rightfully your neighbor's property. Even nations where belief in God in any form is not promoted recognize these actions as evil. Then there are sins peculiar to people who have faith in God, such as not replacing the true God with the worship of idols, and not swearing falsely in his name. As the latter was originally written, it was intended not so much as a ban on profanity as it was a clear warning not to use the name of God lightly, such as swearing in his name that they will accomplish a certain task when they know that either they will not be able to complete that task, or they deliberately have no intention of ever completing the task.

Jesus himself gave us guidelines for what we should consider to be sinful, and those guidelines not only included certain actions, but also certain motivations:

He went on, "What comes out of a man is what makes him 'unclean.' For from within, out of men's hearts, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, greed, malice, deceit, lewdness, envy, slander, arrogance and folly. All these evils come from inside and make a man 'unclean.' (The Gospel of St. Mark 7:20-23,NIV)

St. Paul also revealed to us that it is in the motivations which precede our actions, as well as in actions themselves, that sin occurs:

So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature. For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other, so that you do not do what you want. But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under law.

The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires. Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other. (Galatians 5:16-26,NIV)

Look at the list under the heading 'the acts of the sinful nature'. Note that some of those 'acts' listed there are not actions in-and-of themselves, but rather are the underlying motivations which, if left unchecked, invariably result in the commission of sinful acts. And these motivations are condemned along with the actual acts listed there.

Instead, our actions are to be governed by the motivations which we find under the heading 'the fruit of the Spirit'. It is when our actions have their origin in these 'fruit' that those actions truly conform to what God wants of us. Just as the motivations listed as 'the acts of the sinful nature' are to be seen as the impetus for all sinful acts, the motivations listed as 'the fruit of the Spirit' are to be seen as the impetus for all righteous acts.

There's an old saying: "He did all the right things, but for all the wrong reasons." We Christians are not to focus on 'going through the motions' by performing acts which on the surface would appear to be righteous. Instead, the underlying reason for our performing those acts must also be righteous. And that can only take place when that underlying reason (aka motivation) itself conforms to what God wants to be dictating our words and actions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

playbluebabble

Wide Awake
Oct 4, 2012
✟15,245.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Private
I have a question.
I want to know how to discern and identify what is sin in my life. Sometimes I have the tendency to react to something as if it was a sin, even though it may not have been. As an example, just today I had to do math problems at school, and instead of doing them the regular way I sort of did them in a "cheap or quick" way. Which in my consience set off something about "is this cheating or disonest, and therefore a sin?" I go through these things a lot, and several times a day, where I am not sure if something was a sin or not. How can I learn to identify this type of stuff?

Now Also I KNow that the Holy Spirit convicts us about sin, but when there is something I know explicitly wrong from the scriptures I am convicted about it if I do it, but sometimes I will do something that will make me unsure if it was sin or not.

Foremost, stick to the gospels and applying them to your life. As you are merciful in judging others you will open up mercy for your own self.

Then it becomes apparent that your standards you are called to live under are the standards you use for others.

Then it will be more clear to you as to where you are a hypocrite or not.

Yes the Holy Spirit convicts to sin, but just because you feel bad about something does not mean that is the Holy Spirit.

The Devil and his angels accuse the brethren (rev 12) and want you to believe those accusations which are usually not based on the saving power of Jesus Christ crucified. If you trust in such accusations you can be in danger of being overcome by their arrows.

Upvote 0

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear AndrewK9. Jesus made it quite plain for us in Matthew 22, verses 35-40.
Jesus tells a Lawyer: " The first and great Commandment is: Love God with all thy heart, with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. The second is like it:
Love thy neighbour as thyself." Then Jesus makes sure that we understand:
" On these two Commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets." Love is what God wants from us: freely given and no conditions tagged on.
Billy Graham already told us: " God judges us, The Holy Spirit convicts us,
and Man must Love: God with heart, soul, and mind, and our neighbour as ourselves." The Love God wants from us is without any tags attached.
Everything we say or do, all we advocate and stand for, must be from love freely given: Love and Compassion.
Too hard, you might say, but Jesus will give us His Love and Joy, and the Holy Spirit will empower us with His Love, also. " Ask and ye will receive,"
( Matthew 7, verse 7-8) then we thank God and share all Love and Joy with all around us:our neighbour. God will see our sincere efforts, and God will bless us, and God will know that we Love God, because we are following God`s Commandments to love and care. Love will change us,too. Soon we will find that life will be abundant, as Jesus promised us. We might stumble and forget, but then we ask God to forgive us, and God will forgive us again
and again, and we carry on sharing all Love and Joy with our neighbour.
God is Love, and God wants loving children/sons and daughters. Jesus will help and guide us on our way, in fact we know: Jesus is The Way. Let us keep trying, and asking Jesus to help us Loving and obeying.
I say this with love, Andrew. Greetings from Emmy, your sister in Christ.

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
As an example, just today I had to do math problems at school, and instead of doing them the regular way I sort of did them in a "cheap or quick" way. Which in my consience set off something about "is this cheating or disonest, and therefore a sin?"
I find that when I veer from my own personal boundaries, I get myself in trouble. These things tend not to be sins against God, but inner conflicts. You have set up patterns from learned results -- when you did x thing, y happened. We don't need to remember why it worked or didn't, but if we think back, we remember. Sometimes it is sin-related, sometimes not.

When we keep studying scriptures and reflecting on them, His Word becomes embedded in our hearts, and we find ourselves in these automatic modes where we just know what is right and what is not.

But I suspect that your high-detail conscience is more about perfectionism, or fear of being reprimanded, or desire to prove righteousness, or fear that God will not accept you without full obedience. That is not taking advantage of His redemption and grace.

Jesus chided the religious leaders for creating more rules that God originally gave, and insisting that people under them obeyed. Creating new rules and calling them God's becomes an offense against God.

Mt 23:23Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you tithe mint and dill and cummin, and have neglected the weightier provisions of the law: justice and mercy and faithfulness; but these are the things you should have done without neglecting the others.

Jer 5:31 The prophets prophesy falsely, And the priests rule on their own authority; And My people love it so! But what will you do at the end of it?

Jer 14:14Then the LORD said to me, "The prophets are prophesying falsehood in My name. I have neither sent them nor commanded them nor spoken to them; they are prophesying to you a false vision, divination, futility and the deception of their own minds.

Jer 14:15Therefore thus says the LORD concerning the prophets who are prophesying in My name, although it was not I who sent them--yet they keep saying, `There will be no sword or famine in this land'--by sword and famine those prophets shall meet their end!

Upvote 0