• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Ideas and their sources

EtainSkirata

Mar 9, 2020
Nowhere
✟46,483.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hey all,
I've never actually been diagnosed with OCD, but I do feel like I have it at some level. Anyway, one of the things I tend to fixate on is my writing, and where my ideas come from. I've been paranoid that my ideas aren't from me, but from a demon, and for a while this stopped me from writing almost completely. But then I realized, how on earth could I know that for sure? Plus, any regular person wouldn't be obsessing over this. So I got over it, for the most part, and write a novel.
I say, for the most part. One of my fears is that I'm going to say something out loud, like "d*mons, give me ideas," and that any ideas I have right after that aren't mine. Well, one of the times I obsess over saying something is when I'm running, because I tend to get deep in thought, and fear that I'm actually whispering out loud as I'm thinking (because you have to breathe with your mouth open, so I can't just keep my mouth shut and be safe from not saying anything).
I've had writer's block over a part of amother story I'm writing. I was running a while back, and I had my usual intrusive thoughts of "I'm gonna say something to demons, I can't do that, don't do that." And... I did it. Sort of. It might have sounded like gibberish, due to me running, but I think because I was thinking the thoughts so hard that I just said it. And then right after I got an idea, a solution to the writer's block.
But I'm kind of freaking out, because what if that idea wasn't from me?

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I had a very similar obsession! The thing to remember, with OCD, is that these fears are based upon our over-analyzing the situation. You're so afraid that you're going to say something "by accident"....but that's not really logical. Even if you said something inadvertently, you wouldn't really mean it. So our OCD telling us that those 'whispered thoughts' are a big deal, is really just a lie. Have you learned how to manage OCD, and can you apply what you've learned to this obsession?

Upvote 0

EtainSkirata

Mar 9, 2020
Nowhere
✟46,483.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Hi! So, I've learned to pause when I get obsessive thoughts, and try to put some time between the thought and doing a compulsion. This makes the thought seem way less scary. I've learned some tips from the book Brain Lock, it is a secular book just fyi, but it was helpful in learning how to re label the thoughts.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,078.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi; indeed good not to get too introspective; the believer, with thoughts informed by prayer and the Scriptures, has the immense privilege to keep 'looking unto Jesus'.

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Those sound like great strategies! I've read Brain Lock too, I think (it was a long time ago LOL). Like they say, knowledge is power - it's so helpful to learn strategies that we can use to deal with our obsessive thoughts, as long as we actually apply the strategies!

Upvote 0