St. Louis, MO.
✟376,940.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Why do so many people idealize the past? We see it all the time. This romanticized, and even mythologized notion that things were so much better in times past. And if society could just return to the beliefs, practices, and cultural norms of yesteryear, we'd all be so much better off. It's an awfully persistent delusion, and it resists historical facts to the contrary. (Like when contemporaneous writings from those favored periods also bemoan their present and hanker after their past.) Besides, it's so unrealistic. Civilization is always changing, and--short of an asteroid impact--it doesn't go in reverse. (Though what's worrisome are those folks so extreme in devotion to the past that they would seem to welcome, or wish for widespread catastrophe if it would reverse time.) I've read various psychological explanations for the nostalgia trap, though none are very convincing to me. Is it just human nature? What do others think?

Umaro

Senior Veteran
Dec 22, 2006
✟13,505.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I think it mostly has to do with people's viewpoints as children. When you're a kid you don't really see any problems, but as you get older you hear about them. This creates a divide in thinking where the past was great and carefree, but the present is waist deep in issues.

The other thing I think that contributes is that people don't actually understand how much better the government has made our lives. You often hear "what has the government done for me?" but these people usually don't understand the extent to which they are already being helped. Military, welfare, medicare, roads, and public schools are what most people think of, but there are thousands of regulations that keep things like bacteria and feces out of your food, or that make your work environment safer, or that make sure you get your money back if the product you bought was defective. This creates a very comfortable standard of living for the adequately well off, which they then attribute almost exclusively to their personal work. The fact of the matter is that no man is "self-made," but too many people believe the false "pull yourself up by the bootstraps" solution for those less fortunate.

This site also explains the mindset.
http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2...ailykos/index+(Daily+Kos)&utm_content=Twitter

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tucker58

Jesus is Lord
Aug 30, 2007
✟10,231.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Why do so many people idealize the past? We see it all the time. This romanticized, and even mythologized notion that things were so much better in times past. And if society could just return to the beliefs, practices, and cultural norms of yesteryear, we'd all be so much better off. It's an awfully persistent delusion, and it resists historical facts to the contrary. (Like when contemporaneous writings from those favored periods also bemoan their present and hanker after their past.) Besides, it's so unrealistic. Civilization is always changing, and--short of an asteroid impact--it doesn't go in reverse. (Though what's worrisome are those folks so extreme in devotion to the past that they would seem to welcome, or wish for widespread catastrophe if it would reverse time.) I've read various psychological explanations for the nostalgia trap, though none are very convincing to me. Is it just human nature? What do others think?

The past is where we are all related. The future is the unknown.

love,

tucker58

Upvote 0

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

Nietzsche thought that there were three good approaches to our history. One of them - the antiquarian - seeks to preserve those things that have served life in the past. The antiquarian venerates the land, the rituals, the traditions, and all the facets of life that have served the people well, and seeks to preserve them for the future. Those who pine for the past, and wish that conditions now were like what they were then, are antiquarian historians bemoaning their losses. And there is no reason for them not to.

Even Nietzsche himself was slightly antiquarian. He believed modern culture had suffered from a long overdose of Socratic reason, and that a return to ancient Greek tragedy was, in some ways, the answer to our cultural ills and the pathway back to health.

In general, the antiquarian approach isn't essentially bad. We tend to assume, living in the present, that we are better off culturally and morally then people in the past. Why do we assume that we are so cultivated and that we can only become ever more cultivated? Perhaps because we think progress is totally linear, but it's not. Were the people occupying the dark ages more cultivated than the ancient Greeks that preceded them? Few would say so.

The concept of progress itself, many would argue, is a modern invention. We, especially in the West, are so fixated with it.. In the dark and middle ages however the focus on progress was far less concentrated. Why? Because the religious mythology concluded that God had completed creation and that it was good. If things are both complete and good then what need is there for 'progress' to improve them?

But yes, we must continue to progress. But what does that even mean? Surely, it could be good and 'progressive' to revisit and reclaim some aspects of our past that have long been abandoned? It is not essential for progress to mean the total abandonment of things in the past. If it did then we'd loose many good things as well, and many more of us would become discontent antiquarians.

Upvote 0

Watergirl

Jun 3, 2006
✟2,257.00
Faith
Baptist

The past wasn't perfect, but there were certainly a lot of things about it that were better than today.

You weren't subjected to profanity everywhere and everything wasn't about sex. People understood that some behavior was acceptable, while some was not. People actually dressed up to go out and, I know this is a really foreign concept here in this little slice of Laodicea, but people even showed their reverence for God by dressing for church as if they were going to the house of God. Our children had real role models. They weren't perfect, but they didn't flaunt their sins and their sins weren't celebrated. Motherhood actually had value and wasn't mocked. Comedians were funny and singers became successful because they were talented and not just because they looked good in a pair of tight jeans. Men really were men and weren't whiney, girly little boys. Women were ladies and dressed like it and acted like it. The government didn't try to regulate every detail of our lives and we weren't mocked and called names if we questioned the government or believed that government had an obligation to spend our tax money responsibly. We had presidents we could be proud of. Children actually said things like "Yes sir" and "Yes ma'am" instead of "*** you old man!" and they called adults by their first names. A man who cheated on his wife countless times would never have been hailed as a hero, while a man who stepped down from a lucrative career to take care of his dying wife would have been. But these days, Tiger Woods is the hero and Phil Mickleson, who is truly a hero, is completely ignored.

Upvote 0
Aug 24, 2008
✟18,742.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
The past wasn't perfect, but there were certainly a lot of things about it that were better than today.

Ok, let's have a look...

You weren't subjected to profanity everywhere and everything wasn't about sex.

What do you mean by "profanity"? What is wrong with it?

Human existence has always been all about sex.

People understood that some behavior was acceptable, while some was not.

And we don't today? Just because definitions of what is and is not acceptable change, it doesn't mean we have lost all understanding of what it means for something to be acceptable and what it means for something to be unacceptable.

It used to be acceptable to lynch blacks and beat up your wife...

People actually dressed up to go out and, I know this is a really foreign concept here in this little slice of Laodicea, but people even showed their reverence for God by dressing for church as if they were going to the house of God.

I dress up to go out, and so do my friends. Maybe we are exceptions.

I don't understand why it is the clothes on your back, rather than what is in your head and heart, that would be important to God and any reverance you would show him.

Our children had real role models. They weren't perfect, but they didn't flaunt their sins and their sins weren't celebrated.

There are still role models today, its just that many people that aren't role models are given a lot of attention - I don't think those people are actually role models, most people only watch the Paris Hiltons and Lindsay Lohans of the world as they would watch a car crash - morbid curiosity.

Motherhood actually had value and wasn't mocked.

I value motherhood. I just don't think that a woman need only be valued as a mother. It is now a woman's choice as to how they will be valued.

Comedians were funny and singers became successful because they were talented and not just because they looked good in a pair of tight jeans.

I guess you aren't listening to the right commedians and musicians.

Men really were men and weren't whiney, girly little boys.

Why do men have to fullfil "masculine" gender roles? It is simply a social construction. Now people have the freedom to chose their own lives, a vast improvement on being ostracised just for being different.

Women were ladies and dressed like it and acted like it.

Why do women have to fullfil "feminine" gender roles? It is simply a social construction. Now people have the freedom to chose their own lives, a vast improvement on being ostracised just for being different.

The government didn't try to regulate every detail of our lives and we weren't mocked and called names if we questioned the government or believed that government had an obligation to spend our tax money responsibly.

Does anyone not believe the government ought to spend tax money responsibly?

The government doesn't regulate every detail of our lives and it doesn't try to. What parts of your life does it regulate?

I would have thought the financial crisis caused by unregulated financial institutions would be enough to suggest that regulation is not necessarily a bad thing.

We had presidents we could be proud of.

You aren't proud of a man that has built himself up from very little, that worked hard at some of the best universities in your country to get great grades, that worked hard for his local community, that has challenged racial prejudice and is now finding himself elected in the midst of the biggest financial crisis of the last half century, fighting two unnecessary and pointless wars started by his predecessor, and with most of the world's opinion against his country but who, despite that, has been able to stop the crisis from hitting as hard in the short term as it could have and improving your countries standing in the world?

What would it take for you to be proud of him? For him to agree with you on all political points?

Children actually said things like "Yes sir" and "Yes ma'am" instead of "*** you old man!" and they called adults by their first names.

Basically, "respect for adults simply because they are adults", yeah? Meh.

A man who cheated on his wife countless times would never have been hailed as a hero, while a man who stepped down from a lucrative career to take care of his dying wife would have been. But these days, Tiger Woods is the hero and Phil Mickleson, who is truly a hero, is completely ignored.

I was under the impression that Tiger Woods has been thoroughly dragged over the coals by the media in the last few months as each sordid detail came through, not raised up as a hero.... I know Phil Mickleson is a golfer, but I don't follow golf so I couldn't tell you anything about him.

I'm not convinced that, if those are your major problems, the past was really much, if any, better than today.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟324,200.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Ok, let's have a look...

And we don't today? Just because definitions of what is and is not acceptable change, it doesn't mean we have lost all understanding of what it means for something to be acceptable and what it means for something to be unacceptable.

Where I grew up it was not acceptable to lynch blacks. However I can't say what the general attitude towards blacks was. I'd estimate my Highschool had 800-1000 students. One black as far as I know. Hmm, exactly equal the the number of students crippled by polio.

I know my fathers attitude, he didn't care about skin color. But for all I know 90% of the rest of my fathers generation could have been raving racists, since I never saw how they dealt with those of other races.

Today that same highschool is majority black. But they are bussed in. Sad as the community is now pretty diverse. I would much rather see the diversity of the community in the school.

And of course these days I get to converse with many otehr people on the internet. On the surface that seems a good thing, but at times I wonder. I get to meet interesting people, but I also get exposed to a lot more jerks and trolls.

Upvote 0

Watergirl

Jun 3, 2006
✟2,257.00
Faith
Baptist
nolongerhome said:
Human existence has always been all about sex.

I'm sorry, but we watch an awful lot of old movies and listen to old radio shows and I'm just not seeing it.

And we don't today?

No.

Just because definitions of what is and is not acceptable change, it doesn't mean we have lost all understanding of what it means for something to be acceptable and what it means for something to be unacceptable.

The definitions don't change. People just decide whether or not they want to show respect to those around them.

When was this?

I dress up to go out, and so do my friends. Maybe we are exceptions.

Then you're one of the only ones. When I go to a restaurant anymore, it looks like Skid Row.

I don't understand why it is the clothes on your back, rather than what is in your head and heart, that would be important to God and any reverance you would show him.

You said earlier that you dress up to go out. Are you saying that it's appropriate to dress differently for different places or occasions?

There are still role models today

I'm wracking my brain to think of some. Even on the Phillies, who are generally considered a "squeaky clean" team, I can only think of two.

I guess you aren't listening to the right commedians and musicians.

The only comedian I can think of who is clean is Brian Regan and the only time he's ever heard is when they play clips of him on Wretched. As for musicians, yes, there are some good musicians out there, but it usually takes hours of wading through Youtube videos to find them. They're certainly not going to be heard on the radio or TV.

Why do men have to fullfil "masculine" gender roles?

Because they're men.

Why do women have to fullfil "feminine" gender roles?

Because they're women. Why do you believe it's such a bad thing for women to be ladies?

It is simply a social construction. Now people have the freedom to chose their own lives, a vast improvement on being ostracised just for being different.

Being different is not always a good thing.

Does anyone not believe the government ought to spend tax money responsibly?

You mean other than Congress and the president? Yes, judging by the number of people who have called me a racist because I favor small government and spending cuts, and all of the heat that people are receiving now for believing the same thing, there are quite a few people who don't believe it.

The government doesn't regulate every detail of our lives and it doesn't try to. What parts of your life does it regulate?

What I eat, what I wear, my education, what I drive, how I protect myself, my healthcare...

I would have thought the financial crisis caused by unregulated financial institutions would be enough to suggest that regulation is not necessarily a bad thing.

Actually, the Democrat's recession wasn't caused by no regulation, it was caused by over-regulation and by Congress mandating that banks give loans to people they knew couldn't pay the loans back.

You aren't proud of a man that has built himself up from very little, that worked hard at some of the best universities in your country to get great grades, that worked hard for his local community, that has challenged racial prejudice and is now finding himself elected in the midst of the biggest financial crisis of the last half century [much of which he is responsible for], fighting two unnecessary and pointless wars started by his predecessor, and with most of the world's opinion against his country but who, despite that, has been able to stop the crisis from hitting as hard in the short term as it could have and improving your countries standing in the world?

No. Frankly, I'm quite ashamed of him and all those who voted for him. He does not have America's best interests at heart, he has repeatedly violated his oath to uphold the Constitution, he is destroying this country through his bizzare fiscal policies, through his takeover of our healthcare system, through his association with anti-American radicals, etc, he has alienated our enemies, stabbed Israel in the back, lied about everything under the sun, shows contempt for anyone who doesn't agree with him...

Basically, "respect for adults simply because they are adults", yeah?

Yes. I know it's a radical idea among liberals, but children should be respectful of adults.

I was under the impression that Tiger Woods has been thoroughly dragged over the coals by the media in the last few months as each sordid detail came through, not raised up as a hero

Then you haven't been watching. The only people who have even hinted that what he is doing is wrong are the late night comedians. In fact, when Britt Hume suggested that what Tiger Woods did was wrong, he was treated as if that was worse than what Woods did. No, the big story concerning Tiger Woods has been how it will affect golf and whether or not he'll be able to come back. Just this morning, there was a news story about the PGA coming to a local course and how excited everyone is that Tiger Woods is coming and how good his presence will be for the area.

I know Phil Mickleson is a golfer, but I don't follow golf so I couldn't tell you anything about him.

That's the whole point. Tiger Woods is a dispicable person and you've heard all about him. Phil Mickleson does something truly heroic that we should all be very proud of, and nobody says anything about it.

Upvote 0

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I'm wracking my brain to think of some. Even on the Phillies, who are generally considered a "squeaky clean" team, I can only think of two.

It depends entirely on the choice of role models. And yes, there are good ones out there if you look.

Because they're men. Because they're women. Why do you believe it's such a bad thing for women to be ladies?

Sex and gender are not the same. One is biologically determined, the other is socially constructed.

Yes. I know it's a radical idea among liberals, but children should be respectful of adults.

Yes. I know it's a radical idea among conservatives, but respect is earned. ;)

That's the whole point. Tiger Woods is a dispicable person and you've heard all about him. Phil Mickleson does something truly heroic that we should all be very proud of, and nobody says anything about it.

That's because business media loves a scandal. It sells papers. It may not be right, but it's how it is it.. unfortunately.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Watergirl

Jun 3, 2006
✟2,257.00
Faith
Baptist
Umaro said:
Maybe even do some extensive travel. I really think it will help you.

You mean like spending summers in Holland and riding all throughout Europe? How about going to Mexico and touring the ruins there? Or maybe Belize?

Or maybe you mean several tours across America.

Maybe I am naive. Or maybe I just recognize that there are some things that are wrong with our society today.

If your idea of being naive is not wanting to be bombarded by profanity and naked starlets who've never done anything worthwhile, or wanting people to show respect to others and even to God, then I am thrilled to be naive.

Upvote 0

DuneSoldier

Apr 22, 2010
✟15,802.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You mean like spending summers in Holland and riding all throughout Europe? How about going to Mexico and touring the ruins there? Or maybe Belize?

Or maybe you mean several tours across America.

Maybe I am naive. Or maybe I just recognize that there are some things that are wrong with our society today.

If your idea of being naive is not wanting to be bombarded by profanity and naked starlets who've never done anything worthwhile, or wanting people to show respect to others and even to God, then I am thrilled to be naive.

I'm curious what is your solution to the "starlet" problem? A return to the Hays Code? It's was created because the industry feared the federal government stepping in and censoring them, so they basically censored themselves.

If someone else would submit a link I would be grateful. I don't have the post count yet.

Upvote 0

DuneSoldier

Apr 22, 2010
✟15,802.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My solution is for parents to get rid of that box in the living room that causes so much trouble.

Okay, and I actually agree with you that we spend to much time obsessing over celebrities in this country. But why would parents want to get rid of the box? How would you convince them to do it? Also would you just want parents to get rid of it or people in general?

Another quick question what would you consider to be a masculine role, and what do you consider to be a "whiney, girly little boy"?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Umaro

Senior Veteran
Dec 22, 2006
✟13,505.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I dunno. Why do couples "give it another shot" when the same turn-offs that caused the break-up still exist?

Because people refuse/choose not to believe that humans as a species did not evolve with indefinite marriage in mind. We're designed to just move on.

Upvote 0
Aug 24, 2008
✟18,742.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
I'm sorry, but we watch an awful lot of old movies and listen to old radio shows and I'm just not seeing it.

Just because it was implicit, not explicit, doesn't mean it isn't there. And I'm not just talking about movies - society, from the dawn of time, has been about sex. Sex has pervaded all aspects of society. We are just a more honest and open about it now than were were over the last couple of centuries. Before that, in earlier times, we were honest and open about it too.

No.

The definitions don't change. People just decide whether or not they want to show respect to those around them.

This is frankly ridiculous. You can't say that there is no difference between acceptable and unacceptable behaviour today - the definitions have changed, but there is still a distinction. The definitions are ALWAYS changing - what was allowed 50 years ago, 100 years ago, was different to what was before it. Change isn't necessarily a bad thing.

When was this?

Serious?

For millenia it was been acceptable to treat a wife as property, to use physical violence against her when she disobeyed, to force her to have sex with you ("it can't be rape in marriage")... as for acceptable to lynch blacks - please, just read up on your early American history, look at hte te treatment of minorities, be they native Americans or slaves - again, these people were treated like animals, like property, and considered to have the same rights.

Definitions of what is acceptable change, deal with it. A lot of the time it is a marked improvement.

Then you're one of the only ones. When I go to a restaurant anymore, it looks like Skid Row.

You said earlier that you dress up to go out. Are you saying that it's appropriate to dress differently for different places or occasions?

I dress up to go out because it is a fun thing to do. I don't see why God would care about the clothes I wear - I was under the impression he wasn't so keen on materialism and what was on the surface - it is what is inside that counts.

You have just demonstrated the problem - the problem is not that there aren't role models out there, the problem is that you are looking for them in a baseball team.

The only comedian I can think of who is clean is Brian Regan and the only time he's ever heard is when they play clips of him on Wretched. As for musicians, yes, there are some good musicians out there, but it usually takes hours of wading through Youtube videos to find them. They're certainly not going to be heard on the radio or TV.

Again, if you are having problems finding good quality musicians and comedians to your taste, it is because you aren't looking in the right places.

Because they're men.

Because they're women. Why do you believe it's such a bad thing for women to be ladies?

Why do our reproductive organs have to define how we act?

Women can be ladies, if they chose so - thats a fine choice. They can also chose to not meet your definition of "ladylike" behaviour. That is also a fine choice.

Freedom is a wonderful thing. It allows us all to make choices that will make us happy. It is a definite improvement on being stuck in rather arbitrary paths that made many people unhappy.

Being different is not always a good thing.

It isn't necessarily a good thing, but it isn't necessarily a bad thing either. We are all different, we are all individuals, we ought to be able to live our lives in a way that matches our particular differences, to a limit where we start impacting on the freedom of others to do the same.

You mean other than Congress and the president? Yes, judging by the number of people who have called me a racist because I favor small government and spending cuts, and all of the heat that people are receiving now for believing the same thing, there are quite a few people who don't believe it.

Your problem here is that you think your position is the only reasonable position. Newsflash - it isn't. By other peoples definitions, the current spending is reasonable (ie. it is reasonable to use government stimulus in a time of downturn to minimise the damage, and then repay back the money when times are good, it is reasonable to spend money so that basic needs like health care are met, etc.).

That people have called you racist for your views is unfortunate. There is much to much attacking of people going on these days in politics. People ought to be more civil, and they ought to recognise that there are many different ways to view a problem, and that other views are not necessarily any less reasonable than yours.

What I eat, what I wear, my education, what I drive, how I protect myself, my healthcare...

Could you specify exactly how the government is regulating any of these areas beyond any reasonable amount?

Actually, the Democrat's recession wasn't caused by no regulation, it was caused by over-regulation and by Congress mandating that banks give loans to people they knew couldn't pay the loans back.

That is an element of truth that, but also an element of untruth. Yes, the government mandated the banks to give loans in certain cases that they otherwise might not have. In that sense, regulation played a role. On the other hand, the completely unregulated financials system which bundled these loans into derivatives of derivatives of derivatives, gave them incredibly inflated credit ratings, and basically created billions and billions of dollars of bad assets which they called good... that was what really caused the problems. Banks could have made loans that the government told them to without constructing the house of cards which they were able to through complete lack of regulation of some areas of the finance industry

No. Frankly, I'm quite ashamed of him and all those who voted for him. He does not have America's best interests at heart, he has repeatedly violated his oath to uphold the Constitution, he is destroying this country through his bizzare fiscal policies, through his takeover of our healthcare system, through his association with anti-American radicals, etc, he has alienated our enemies, stabbed Israel in the back, lied about everything under the sun, shows contempt for anyone who doesn't agree with him...

I think that last sentence is clear projection. I think Obama comes across as a very humble person, with a vision about America which he sincerely beleives in.

You disagree. You are free to disagree. I think he has worked as hard as he could with Republicans to pass things, but they have no interest in working with him. In the end, he will have to simply do things without them.

You exagerate the extent of his policies - the current health care policy was the Republican's health care policy in the mid 1990s. His fiscal policies are those used by basically all government around the world in response to the financial crisis, and they are a continuation of Bush's policies in that respect. If he hadn't implemented them we can speculate about how many banks would still exist in your country, how many jobs would have been lost as companies big and small were brought down as their banks and insurance companies simply went insolvent?

There will always be differences of opinion on these kind of policies, but the fact someone disagrees with you is not, in my opinion, a justification for you to start personally attacking them, as you just did. You had a problem when other people personally attacked you for disagreeing with them, why would you do the same?

Why? Do all adults deserve respect? Is a sir or a ma'am really respect?

Then you haven't been watching. The only people who have even hinted that what he is doing is wrong are the late night comedians. In fact, when Britt Hume suggested that what Tiger Woods did was wrong, he was treated as if that was worse than what Woods did. No, the big story concerning Tiger Woods has been how it will affect golf and whether or not he'll be able to come back. Just this morning, there was a news story about the PGA coming to a local course and how excited everyone is that Tiger Woods is coming and how good his presence will be for the area.

I guess coverage in Australia has been different, then - the coverage that I saw about him was pretty negative the whole way through and cast him in a poor light.

I've heard about him because:

a) he was a great golfer, possibly the best of all time
b) the media here has been covering his major fall from grace.

I've heard of Phil Mickleson because:

a) he is a very good golfer

I'm not interested in golf, so I don't think I could name any more golfers.

The point is, I don't hear of Tiger Woods in glowing terms at all. It is a scandal, we have always been interested in gossip and scandal, no change from the past there. He isn't being raised on a pedestal because of the scandal - the story is actually about his fall.

Surely the Tiger Woods case is an example for all of the consequences of infidelity?

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟324,200.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
One more little thing for folks who idealize the past to look up.

Booze consumption 100 years ago. It was huge of the order of a fifth of hard stuff a day as an average.

How one can cry about drug use today and idealize a past that put that to shame is beyond me.

Upvote 0

Macx

Aug 7, 2007
Twin Cities, Whittier-hood
✟7,657.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
It is said that what is called "the spirit of an age' ' is something to which one cannot return. That this spirit gradually dissipates is due to the world's coming to an end. In the same way, a single year does not have just spring or summer. A single day, too, is the same.
For this reason, although one would like to change today's world back to the spirit of one hundred years or more ago, it cannot be done. Thus it is important to make the best out of every generation. This is the mistake of people who are attached to past generations. They have no understanding of this point.
On the other hand, people who only know the disposition of the present day and dislike the ways of the past are too lax.

From the second chapter.

Upvote 0