Idaho GOP candidate: Death penalty for women would discourage abortion

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Punishing women with the death penalty would cut abortions, Idaho candidate says

In all fairness, he walked it back the next day... wouldn't want people to think the GOP was misogynistic or anything...

A Republican lieutenant governor candidate on Tuesday softened his stance that women who get an abortion should be punished if it is ever criminalized in Idaho, a day after saying the punishment should include the death penalty.

“Prosecutions have always been focused on the abortionist,” said Bob Nonini in a statement. “There is no way a woman would go to jail let alone face the death penalty. The statute alone, the threat of prosecution, would dramatically reduce abortion. That is my goal.”

Nonini first raised eyebrows on the divisive social issue during a Monday candidate forum in Moscow hosted by the conservative Christian podcast CrossPolitic.

“There should be no abortion and anyone who has an abortion should pay,” Nonini said.

Thoughts?

• Informative
Reactions: USincognito

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,206,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Thoughts?

I look forward to people like this getting their wish about Roe being overturned and watching the red states try to out do each other about who can be harsher on abortion.

Take into consideration I may have just given up and want to see how absurd this thing will get.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟433,699.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
So let me get this straight: You are against abortion because it kills a life, so to stop it you would kill women for having abortions.

Now I'm not a big city lawyer, but it seems to me that the baby's death is one murder, and the mother's death another, making for a total of two murders. Whereas if the woman has an abortion and is not murdered later for it, that is a total of one murder.

Are there not more deaths or potential deaths under this plan, then? Or do numbers work differently in Idaho? I was just in the panhandle last month visiting family, and it seems like 2 was still bigger than 1 when I was there. Maybe GOP extremist math works differently than non-partisan math.

I don't think I trust a man who doesn't know how numbers work to run the country at any level.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟325,768.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Can you provide a link to where he said punishment should include the death penalty?
It's literally in the article:
Nonini first raised eyebrows on the divisive social issue during a Monday candidate forum in Moscow hosted by the conservative Christian podcast CrossPolitic.

“There should be no abortion and anyone who has an abortion should pay,” Nonini said.

Pressed by moderators on the nature of the punishment, Nonini nodded in agreement when asked if he supported the death penalty as a possible outcome for abortion.

Nonini, a three term state senator from Coeur d’Alene, confirmed that position in a phone interview with The Associated Press.

• Optimistic
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,206,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
So let me get this straight: You are against abortion because it kills a life, so to stop it you would kill women for having abortions.

Now I'm not a big city lawyer, but it seems to me that the baby's death is one murder, and the mother's death another, making for a total of two murders. Whereas if the woman has an abortion and is not murdered later for it, that is a total of one murder.

Are there not more deaths or potential deaths under this plan, then? Or do numbers work differently in Idaho? I was just in the panhandle last month visiting family, and it seems like 2 was still bigger than 1 when I was there. Maybe GOP extremist math works differently than non-partisan math.

I don't think I trust a man who doesn't know how numbers work to run the country at any level.

The thing that I would be most curious about would be enforcement of these laws. Will pregnancies be tracked? Will pregnant women be allowed to leave the state for areas where abortion is legal? Will miscarriages result in criminal investigations? Would women be punished upon return to the state after having a legal abortion out of state?

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The thing that I would be most curious about would be enforcement of these laws. Will pregnancies be tracked? Will pregnant women be allowed to leave the state for areas where abortion is legal? Will miscarriages result in criminal investigations? Would women be punished upon return to the state after having a legal abortion out of state?

Does not really matter as no a such law will ever be passed. Nor, in the unlikely event a state legislature collectively lost its mind, would the law be allowed to stand.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,851.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Can you provide a link to where he said punishment should include the death penalty?
He did.

>> "Prosecutions have always been focused on the abortionist,” said Bob Nonini in a statement. “There is no way a woman would go to jail let alone face the death penalty. The statute alone, the threat of prosecution, would dramatically..."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Punishing women with the death penalty would cut abortions, Idaho candidate says

In all fairness, he walked it back the next day... wouldn't want people to think the GOP was misogynistic or anything...

Thoughts?
A lady I met told me her husband and her conceived and the fetus in her womb had vital organs outside of the body instead of in the chest cavity. They already had numerous children. She decided on an abortion. They had to leave the Catholic Church and went to a Protestant denomination church. I would not want the death penalty on her as she was a celibate widow with young children at home.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟433,699.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Typical "tolerant" leftist intolerant of a Conservative daring to have an opinion.

It's fine to have an opinion. I'm pro-life, too. I just don't want to get all murder-y about it, because that kinda defeats the purpose.

This guy's opinion is pretty extreme, and I'm glad it's just GOP virtue signaling, not anything that will actually be happening.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,206,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Does not really matter as no a such law will ever be passed. Nor, in the unlikely event a state legislature collectively lost its mind, would the law be allowed to stand.
It's still just a thought experiment but I look forward to them getting their chance if Roe is ever overturned. Granted I take a great deal of pleasure of people being hoisted by their own petards.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's still just a thought experiment but I look forward to them getting their chance if Roe is ever overturned. Granted I take a great deal of pleasure of people being hoisted by their own petards.

Being a Christian kind of makes Schadenfreude off limits for me. Or at least it should. Can't really be trying to love one's neighbor while getting pleasure from the neighbor getting hoisted. I suppose that is one of the perks of being an atheist. You get to enjoy many things forbidden to the religious community. .

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,851.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
It's fine to have an opinion. I'm pro-life, too. I just don't want to get all murder-y about it, because that kinda defeats the purpose.

This guy's opinion is pretty extreme, and I'm glad it's just GOP virtue signaling, not anything that will actually be happening.
I should have included a ;). I was joking with TLK.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟154,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Well that's right. It would. But we shouldn't do that. And we shouldn't kill babies either.

If RvW gets overturned and women have illegal abortions, well that's murder, and sometimes you get the death penalty for that. Sooooo

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,851.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Being a Christian kind of makes Schadenfreude off limits for me. Or at least it should. Can't really be trying to love one's neighbor while getting pleasure from the neighbor getting hoisted. I suppose that is one of the perks of being an atheist. You get to enjoy many things forbidden to the religious community. .
LOL Modern Conservatism, especially Christian political Conservatism is driven schadenfreude. "This will make liberal heads explode", "liberal tears" "{obscenity} your feelings" are common parlance for pundits and lay Conservatives alike.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well that's right. It would. But we shouldn't do that. And we shouldn't kill babies either.

If RvW gets overturned and women have illegal abortions, well that's murder, and sometimes you get the death penalty for that. Sooooo

Right now, if R v W was overturned abortion would not be illegal in the US. It would take new law to criminalize abortion. Abortion was never a federal crime. Since most states, if not all , no longer have any anti abortion statues on the books, It would take a lot to introduce a criminal statute against abortion. Int eh end it is not likely the that R vW will ever be overturned.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟882,621.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It's literally in the article:
There's no literal head nod to a literal question in the article. I'd just like to see and hear it for myself.
He did.

>> "Prosecutions have always been focused on the abortionist,” said Bob Nonini in a statement. “There is no way a woman would go to jail let alone face the death penalty. The statute alone, the threat of prosecution, would dramatically..."
That's not saying what you're saying it's saying.

Upvote 0