Icons, candles, incense and images. Creating an atomosphere? for what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kepha

Veteran
Feb 3, 2005
Canada
✟17,719.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
what are these people doing?
Rome seems to think we can't SEE (let alone THINK).
You're the second protestant heart reader I've read today.

Matt 7:1 "Judge not, that you may not be judged, [2]For with what judgment you judge, you shall be judged: and with what measure you mete, it shall be measured to you again."

Upvote 0
T

Thekla

your "Mary" is the QUEEN OF HEAVEN ALSO, RIGHT?

Ezekiel 8
Abominations in the Temple
1In the sixth year, in the sixth month, on the fifth day of the month, as I sat in my house, with the elders of Judah sitting before me, the hand of the Lord God fell upon me there. 2Then I looked, and behold, a form that had the appearance of a man.a Below what appeared to be his waist was fire, and above his waist was something like the appearance of brightness, like gleaming metal.b 3He put out the form of a hand and took me by a lock of my head, and the Spirit lifted me up between earth and heaven and brought me in visions of God to Jerusalem, to the entrance of the gateway of the inner court that faces north, where was the seat of the image of jealousy, which provokes to jealousy. 4And behold, the glory of the God of Israel was there, like the vision that I saw in the valley.
5Then he said to me, “Son of man, lift up your eyes now toward the north.” So I lifted up my eyes toward the north, and behold, north of the altar gate, in the entrance, was this image of jealousy. 6And he said to me, “Son of man, do you see what they are doing, the great abominations that the house of Israel are committing here, to drive me far from my sanctuary? But you will see still greater abominations.”
7And he brought me to the entrance of the court, and when I looked, behold, there was a hole in the wall. 8Then he said to me, “Son of man, dig in the wall.” So I dug in the wall, and behold, there was an entrance. 9And he said to me, “Go in, and see the vile abominations that they are committing here.” 10So I went in and saw. And there, engraved on the wall all around, was every form of creeping things and loathsome beasts, and all the idols of the house of Israel. 11And before them stood seventy men of the elders of the house of Israel, with Jaazaniah the son of Shaphan standing among them. Each had his censer in his hand, and the smoke of the cloud of incense went up. 12Then he said to me, “Son of man, have you seen what the elders of the house of Israel are doing in the dark, each in his room of pictures? For they say, ‘The Lord does not see us, the Lord has forsaken the land.’” 13He said also to me, “You will see still greater abominations that they commit.”

14Then he brought me to the entrance of the north gate of the house of the Lord, and behold, there sat women weeping for Tammuz. 15Then he said to me, “Have you seen this, O son of man? You will see still greater abominations than these.”

16And he brought me into the inner court of the house of the Lord. And behold, at the entrance of the temple of the Lord, between the porch and the altar, were about twenty-five men, with their backs to the temple of the Lord, and their faces toward the east, worshiping the sun toward the east. 17Then he said to me, “Have you seen this, O son of man? Is it too light a thing for the house of Judah to commit the abominations that they commit here, that they should fill the land with violence and provoke me still further to anger? Behold, they put the branch to theirc nose. 18Therefore I will act in wrath. My eye will not spare, nor will I have pity. And though they cry in my ears with a loud voice, I will not hear them.”

The designation 'queen' denotes, in earlier eras, the mother of the king.

Do you believe that God is King of all, including the heavens ?

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟241,170.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Paul also teaches Jewish tradition (the manna, etc., in the Ark); Jesus Christ Himself teaches Jewish traditions (the bosom of Abraham), and Matthew (chapter 2) teaches that the reposed pray for those on earth.
True. I just read in Baruch last night with regards to the reposed praying for those on earth. :)

Upvote 0

Dr.Strangelove

Sep 4, 2010
✟1,631.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wow,

both the Federal Reserve and the Masons have been around for 2,000 years ?

Goes all the way back to the mystery schools of Babylon.

Do some research.

hex3c.gif

The Mother of Harlots symbol (Star of Remphan) not so well hidden in this masonic imagery.

Upvote 0

Rocky1960

Feb 10, 2011
✟743.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Is this biblically acceptable?:

catholic_idolaters.jpg

"What profiteth the graven image that the maker thereof hath graven it; the molten image, and a teacher of lies, that the maker of his work trusteth therein, to make dumb idols?" -Habakkuk 2:18.

Is this Biblically acceptable?

abortion-clinic1.jpg

Are they praying to the abortion clinic? No.
Are those catholics praying to a lifeless rock? No
Instead of telling them what they are doing, perhaps you would do well to listen to them tell you what they are doing. After all, they are the ones doing it.

Reactions: Dorothea
Upvote 0

Standing Up

On and on
Sep 3, 2008
Around about
✟66,235.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
SU it does not matter where exactly Jesus went...Still when he prayed he went to the temple that is what it matters . They used incense no question and he was there...I think we are splitting hair here... ^_^

The Gospels say Jesus prayed at various locations like the river Jordan, Gethsemane, Emmaus, but where does it say He prayed in Herod's Temple?

Upvote 0

PilgrimToChrist

Oct 10, 2009
✟6,075.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Your church is nothing like the church of the first couple centuries...NOTHING like.

Really now?

How many of the Early Church Fathers have you read? They believed the same things as we do now. Their worship was very similar to what ours is like now. Their Church structure of bishops, presbyters and deacons was like ours now. What exactly is different?

I hope you don't expect us to think they were "Enlightenment"-era Protestants who all believed different things and had no common hierarchy, believed in Sola Scriptura (with a Bible that had not yet been compiled), had "praise and worship bands", shared common bread and wine as a symbol of their fraternal bonds and had eliminated the bishops and declericalized the presbyters from the New Testament. That didn't come until recently.

The Early Church also held Mass on the tombs of the martyrs in the Roman catacombs! We still have martyrs entombed in all of our altars (or antimension/antimins). Do you?

Ambrosian+(Milanese)+Rite+(3).jpg

The cross shaped 'orans' position is characteristic of the Ambrosian (and Dominican) Rite

Upvote 0

simonthezealot

have you not read,what God has spoken unto you?
Apr 17, 2006
Minnesota
✟19,953.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Instead of telling them what they are doing, perhaps you would do well to listen to them tell you what they are doing. After all, they are the ones doing it.
They are praying OVER the abortion clinic, how about the statue prayers?

Upvote 0

Philothei

Love never fails
Nov 4, 2006
Northeast, USA
✟68,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Do some research.

hex3c.gif

The Mother of Harlots symbol (Star of Remphan) not so well hidden in this masonic imagery.
Nice conspiracy theory now back to our local programming ... Dalgling a pic does not prove nothing do you see the above symbol in any RCC or EO chruches?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rocky1960

Feb 10, 2011
✟743.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Do some research.

hex3c.gif

If you are consistant then you will dispose of all of these too (I will gladly take them off your hands):

dollar%20750.jpg

Reactions: Kepha
Upvote 0

Kepha

Veteran
Feb 3, 2005
Canada
✟17,719.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
The thing I love about these supposed protestant rebuttals are the fact that 'true seekers' lurking about here can see exactly how it works now. How your best arguments based on assumptions, heart readings and feelings, are entirely built on sand. Makes them want to diligently seek even more while further separating themselves from your typical protestant prejudice based on fallacy wishing to urge them on.

Reactions: Dorothea
Upvote 0

Standing Up

On and on
Sep 3, 2008
Around about
✟66,235.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That is a distortion of the truth. According to Wikipedia there was no "council" outlawing icons and images. Wikipedia says that the First Seven Ecumenical Councils, as commonly understood, are:
  1. First Council of Nicaea (325)
  2. First Council of Constantinople (381)
  3. Council of Ephesus (431)
  4. Council of Chalcedon (451)
  5. Second Council of Constantinople (553)
  6. Third Council of Constantinople (680)
  7. Second Council of Nicaea (787)
First seven Ecumenical Councils - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What happened in 754 apparently was that Constantine the 5th convened a "synod" which declared that images of Jesus misrepresented him and that images of saints were idols. That was a "synod", not a "counclil". The actual 787 council of Nicaea apparently corrected that local synod's error.

I see that I have another person to add to my ever growing list of people who feel the need present misinformation to bolster their positions. What bothers me as well is that this was so easy to figure out. All I had to do was type early council into Google there it was, nice as you please.

All depends on who's doing the defining. It's like today, RC still believes Trent to be ecuemenical, but no one else does ^_^

While we're at this, didn't the Patriarch confirm the Pope's "supremacy" in order to get him to "organize" #7?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Christos Anesti

Oct 25, 2009
Michigan
✟20,114.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Imagery of an all-seeing eye can be traced back to Egyptian mythology and the Eye of Horus. It also appears in Buddhism, where Buddha is also regularly referred to as the "Eye of the World" throughout Buddhist scriptures (e.g. Mahaparinibbana Sutta) and is represented as a trinity in the shape of a triangle known as the Tiratna, or Triple Gem.

Thats true of most any design you can think of be it a square, triangle, eye, stick figure person, a cross, a wheel, etc... has been used for thousands of years and thus predate Christianity or even Judaism. So ?

Upvote 0
T

Thekla

You mean like the Jews were actually ... :o worshiping the Ark and even the manna kept inside it ???

You say Jesus taught against all Jewish traditions, yet Jesus Christ Paul and Matthew - in the New Testament ... teach Jewish traditions !!! :o

Do you think you even have the real New Testament ?? Look at all these problems, Jesus Himself teaching traditions !

Upvote 0

Kepha

Veteran
Feb 3, 2005
Canada
✟17,719.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Oh no. If we follow your own rules and go by the appearance of a pic only without knowing the inner heart, it does indeed look they they're worshiping an abortion clinic. ^_^

Upvote 0
C

child of Jesus

Nice conspiracy theory now back to our local programming ... Dalgling a pic does not prove nothing do you see the above symbol in any RCC or EO chruches?

what's the eye of horus in the triangle doing in this EO throne thing? huh?
ACCIDENTAL?

ducha.jpg

do the Two Sisters Rome and EO think we're stupid?

btw: who sits in that throne? A MAN? for what?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Philothei

Love never fails
Nov 4, 2006
Northeast, USA
✟68,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

abortion-clinic1.jpg

Is this Biblical?

d0231.jpg

Question
Why dont the umc think that it is important to kneel befotr the lord? Why do catholics kneel? Do you have a cross in your church with Jesus on it like Catholics?

Answer
Gary,
Thanks for asking. Actually, in some UMC's we do kneel frequently. Kneeling is one expression of worship. It is not the only one by any means. Given that we believe God to be present everywhere at all times, it is difficult to pick one time or place for kneeling before him. Of course, we will kneel when he returns, or whenever we meet him, but for now we reserve kneeling mostly for praying at the chancel rail and when receiving communion.

Methodists: kneeling, discipline states, ascension of christ

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.