• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

IBS distress

Aaron_Walker

Jun 12, 2011
Tehran
✟7,710.00
Country
Iran, Islamic Republic Of
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The GAPS diet has helped a lot of people. It hasn't been a "cure" for me personally, but I have found that bone broth is definitely a very helpful and important part of diet for anyone with IBS. It's worth checking out if you haven't tried it before.

Thanks for the link! I've never heard of GAPS diet before.

Reactions: desmalia
Upvote 0

melody123

Your Love is better than life ~ Psalm 63:3
Oct 2, 2012
✟7,783.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi SwashyRose. I'm so sorry you have IBS. I also had IBS at one time, so I know how utterly debilitating it is.

The culprit for many IBS problems is carbohydrates in the diet. Truly they are not what and how they ate in the ancient cultures. Even though the quality was so much better back then, the process was quite different and lengthy and often included soaking and sprouting.

I learned a lot from this website: biblelife.org. It is quite vast, but here is a link you might want to look at for a start: http://www.biblelife.org/bowel.htm, if you are interested. If you like what you rea,d there is much more you can read on the website, plus the author has a book which you can buy, too. But really, most of his information is free , given to you on his website, which I truly appreciated !

I also landed on this website through my research: http://wellnessmama.com/2359/does-the-bible-say-we-should-eat-grains/ which is continued 'food for thought' in argument against the dispensation of grace that all foods are acceptable.

It did not take long for me on this diet (called several different names: paleo, atkins, natural diet) to get well and healed physically. Diet is one of the most important and powerful things for maintaining good health.

Along with a change of diet, I worked with a Nutritional Balancing practitioner via hair tissue mineral analysis with Trace Elements Lab located in Texas. http://www.traceelements.com/ Once my nutritional deficiencies and imbalances were discovered, I was given the right nutritional supplement formulations to bring back and optimize my health at a cellular level. These are not loads of supplement bottles nor high doses which I was very happy about, financially, especially.

Second, and certainly just as important, is working through and resolving conflict situations that are fear-based and causing a lot of stress. IBS spiritually, is fear based. As a believer, what I did was study and meditate on all fear passages in the Bible. I studied God's love. The most powerful for me was Psalm 91 and Romans 8:28-39. I also loved Psalm 63 and 23. There are many more. Through many months of sitting before the Lord and eating His Word (my pages literally looked like they were eaten !! ) over and over and over and over lol again, the Holy Spirit renewed my mind through scripture. He is Faithful.. I started to understood how much He loved me and accepted me, and how much He takes care of me. I started to see myself the way He sees me and I lost my fear of man. My eyes became permanently fixed on Him and my eyes were off other people. What an amazing freedom and transformation. I cannot tell you.. the Joy that passes all understanding...

I am completely healed now and doing really well .

I wish you God's blessing and healing.

p.s. Feel free to pm me, if you like.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

single eye

Jun 12, 2014
✟16,169.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
You might want to consider a little known chemical additive called carrageenan. Some people are severly alergic and cannot tolerate any of it. It has long been suspected of causing all sorts of gastro-intestinal distress issues. If you would be willing to eliminate sources of this chemical from your diet, let me know. IMO it interfers with the ability of our digestive system to process food completely.

Upvote 0
K

Kuraisto

Swashyrose, your posts concern me. While normally I haven't heard of low blood sugar with IBS, it certainly can happen if the digestive system is moving faster than normal. I have had that issue since a bowel resection. Have you been checking your blood sugar on a regular basis? When is it worst? When is your diarrhea the worst?

Also, have you tried Imodium (loperamide)?

Edit: Nevermind, old topic. This board has way too many subforums.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

anewman1993

Aug 17, 2014
✟19,907.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I have a very extreme case of IBS. Basically if I eat certain foods(or sometimes just randomly) I will experince extreme pain in my stomach. I will start shaking, sweating, hot/cold flashes, light headedness, and sometimes I even fall on the ground and can't move. The pain is that sever. I totally understand what your going through, SUCKS. Luckily I have been able to control that somewhat with medicine and crazy diet changes, but I also get sick a WHOLE lot as well. Add on to the fact I'm bloated/queasy very often I have trouble getting to class, and If I didn't work somewhere with a flexible scheduled I have no idea how I would hold a job down.

All I can really say, is you grit your teeth and get through it, if you have to scream or cry when at home, do that, I know ive done it quite a few times. It sucks, I'm 21, thats to young to have this many medical issues, but if I dwell on that its not going to help any. I try to focus on god and trust that somehow this is going to beneift him in the future because trust me, Ive ask for healing, Ive had pastors pray over me, Ive done pretty much everything but go look for a faith healer (I think they are fake, if god really healed people through someone then they would be walking through hospitable touching the sick, not in the middle of nowhere asking for money to heal).

Upvote 0

desmalia

sounds like somebody's got a case of the mondays
Sep 29, 2006
Canada
Visit site
✟18,512.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I have a very extreme case of IBS. Basically if I eat certain foods(or sometimes just randomly) I will experince extreme pain in my stomach. I will start shaking, sweating, hot/cold flashes, light headedness, and sometimes I even fall on the ground and can't move. The pain is that sever. I totally understand what your going through, SUCKS. Luckily I have been able to control that somewhat with medicine and crazy diet changes, but I also get sick a WHOLE lot as well. Add on to the fact I'm bloated/queasy very often I have trouble getting to class, and If I didn't work somewhere with a flexible scheduled I have no idea how I would hold a job down.

All I can really say, is you grit your teeth and get through it, if you have to scream or cry when at home, do that, I know ive done it quite a few times. It sucks, I'm 21, thats to young to have this many medical issues, but if I dwell on that its not going to help any. I try to focus on god and trust that somehow this is going to beneift him in the future because trust me, Ive ask for healing, Ive had pastors pray over me, Ive done pretty much everything but go look for a faith healer (I think they are fake, if god really healed people through someone then they would be walking through hospitable touching the sick, not in the middle of nowhere asking for money to heal).

Amen about so-called faith healers. :thumbsup:
I'm sorry you're experiencing that. Mine was like that for many years as well, and I eventually found a diet that has drastically helped me. But we're all different. What works for one person may or may not work for another.

Another thing I hadn't thought to mention previously: Anyone having these severe symptoms who has any kind of Arab, Mediterranean or Jewish background, ask your doctor about getting tested for the gene mutation that causes FMF, or Familial Mediterranean Fever. It also causes severe IBS-like symptoms but can be managed with a medication called colchicine. It's commonly tested for in the Middle East, but not so much in North America because it's not as common here. I tested negative for it years ago, but was glad to rule one thing out, at least.

Upvote 0

StephanieKS

Mar 27, 2017
North Carolina
✟7,702.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
I've had IBS-C since I was little and I was just diagnosed with it 3 years ago. Since then it's gotten worse to the point where I've tried killing myself tons of times cause I can't stand it anymore. I can't ever focus on anything or anyone cause I'm in constant pain day in and day out. Sometimes I even lose out on a lot of sleep cause I'm up all night trying to use the bathroom. And I live in fear of getting sick if I ever try going out somewhere. I do take Linzess but it barely does anything for me at all. And to have IBS with having Acid Reflux on top of that is just plain awful.

I eat very little at a time and never eat breakfast in the morning. Everything I eat hurts my stomach and I feel ill every morning to the point where everything turns my tummy, so I can't eat breakfast like I should. I've even threw up a few times from my IBS and go to the hospital a lot. IBS also causes me to not have regular periods.

IBS makes my period so painful that most times I can't move at all. And I only have my period for a bit over a day even though I'm only 32 years old. Lastly, it makes me get bladder infections a lot, which are very painful. Oh, and I get bad backaches too. Then the IBS stress just builds up until I get bad headaches too, stress headaches.

And I've been praying and asking God myself to cure me of my issue, but so far he hasn't even answered me. And I really do believe I'll be healed, so why I haven't yet I don't know. One of these days I won't be able to control myself and I'll end up killing myself to escape the pain. Already been thinking of painless ways to die.

Upvote 0

StephanieKS

Mar 27, 2017
North Carolina
✟7,702.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
I used to have IBS, but I've long since been free of it. When I had it I took donnatal for the symptoms. I believe my IBS was related to stress. I have since learned how to cope with stress better. Are you an anxious person?
Not really, no.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums