Looking for Joy
Jul 30, 2012
✟8,171.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
1 Timothy 1:3-7

As I urged you when I was going to Macedonia, remain at Ephesus so that you may charge certain persons not to teach any different doctrine, nor to devote themselves to myths and endless genealogies, which promote speculations rather than the stewardship from God that is by faith. The aim of our charge is love that issues from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith. Certain persons, by swerving from these, have wandered away into vain discussion, desiring to be teachers of the law, without understanding either what they are saying or the things about which they make confident assertions.

I'd caution some of you who do exactly what Paul wrote about here, "teaching different doctrines, myths, getting into vain discussion, desiring to be teaching the law, without understanding what they are saying."

Here on the forum it's convenient for some things but be careful how and what you do on here. The world is watching. Our aim ought to be "love that comes from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith."

We ought not argue about vain discussions.

The reason why I'm bringing out this is that I used to do the same here on the forum. I'd argue a vain point until my face was blue.. but there's so much more out there - namely the love of God. The life He gives us.

thesunisout

growing in grace
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2011
He lifts me up
✟159,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

As I urged you when I was going to Macedonia, remain at Ephesus so that you may charge certain persons not to teach any different doctrine, nor to devote themselves to myths and endless genealogies, which promote speculations rather than the stewardship from God that is by faith. The aim of our charge is love that issues from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith. Certain persons, by swerving from these, have wandered away into vain discussion, desiring to be teachers of the law, without understanding either what they are saying or the things about which they make confident assertions.

I'd caution some of you who do exactly what Paul wrote about here, "teaching different doctrines, myths, getting into vain discussion, desiring to be teaching the law, without understanding what they are saying."

Here on the forum it's convenient for some things but be careful how and what you do on here. The world is watching. Our aim ought to be "love that comes from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith."

We ought not argue about vain discussions.

The reason why I'm bringing out this is that I used to do the same here on the forum. I'd argue a vain point until my face was blue.. but there's so much more out there - namely the love of God. The life He gives us.

Amen brother. That's exactly what is missing in a lot of these discussions..sometimes I feel like we don't really love eachother on this forum. Like we are mostly just tolerating people because we have to, rather than loving them as our brothers and sisters in Christ. Part of the problem is that the digital divide alienates us..if we met eachother in person it would be easier. We also don't put in the time to build relationships with one another.

The need to be right all of the time is our flesh; if we were content in Christ we wouldn't feel the need to argue about everything. The supply of the Spirit of Jesus Christ should turn us into conduits for Gods love. When that is absent from our lives we are like an oasis in the desert that people are coming to drink from. We would say that we have living water but they're getting a mouthful of sand.

Upvote 0

Gunny

Remnant
Site Supporter
May 18, 2002
United States of America
✟58,262.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Amen and Amen.

Upvote 0

kidwboro

Aug 13, 2012
Little Neck, NY 11362
✟8,318.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That's a good point you brought up.

And I think one reason writing about vain topics on this site is very tempting is because it usually gets more responses than posts that deal with bigger matters (the cross, heaven, hell, eternity).

I usually write about the bigger matters, but when I see a zero under 'number of replies' it stings my gut, and in my frustration, I get very tempted to post vain topics.

I pray for all of us to be completely free of the lure of popularity.
We need to hang in there, and continue posting messages about the cross, heaven, hell, eternal life, and so forth.
May the lure of popularity have no more grip on us.
May we continue to hold fast to the delight of posting about the infinite gift that Jesus purchased for us, that His name be glorified for ever and ever.
Amen.

Upvote 0