traingosorry

I'm what Willis was talkin' bout.
Mar 10, 2004
✟14,190.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I will be going to visit my Dad in a day or so and I am a bit anxious about it. I only saw him once this year on my birthday to thank him for some money he had given me as a gift.

This time last year he had finally checked himself into drug rehab to get past his addiction to crack cocaine. Unfortunately shortly after he was released he succumbed and went back to using. Because of the pain his choices have brought my family we had to show him tough love and refuse to be part of his life while he continued to use. It doesn't look like his chances are very good at beating this one.

It occurred to me when I saw him back in September that my Dad does not have much time left, and that's exactly how he wants it. He has withered down to nothing and the drugs have begun to take a toll on him mentally. I am afraid of how our meeting will go. He is angry and believes we have turned our back on him, but we know it's the drugs speaking, as he apologized profusely and genuinely when he was clean for abandoning us. We forgave him for everything and just asked that he start his life fresh and new and live it well for himself to make up for the past. He has too much shame and guilt now to do that and has said he no longer has the will to live.

I have avoided meeting or talking with him because for so long our world was flipped upside down and we finally have some calm and I don't want to lose that again, but the other part of me sees my Dad suffering and sad and I don't want him to go without him knowing he is loved.
I just hope that our visit will be good and peace can be made and if there is any hope left for him that he recognizes it and seeks to get help once more.

If you could, would you say a prayer for him and my two younger sisters and I as we go to visit him? Appreciated as always.

tartanarmy

I WILL NOT HATE.
Oct 16, 2008
Michigan
✟16,364.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
I will be going to visit my Dad in a day or so and I am a bit anxious about it. I only saw him once this year on my birthday to thank him for some money he had given me as a gift.

This time last year he had finally checked himself into drug rehab to get past his addiction to crack cocaine. Unfortunately shortly after he was released he succumbed and went back to using. Because of the pain his choices have brought my family we had to show him tough love and refuse to be part of his life while he continued to use. It doesn't look like his chances are very good at beating this one.

It occurred to me when I saw him back in September that my Dad does not have much time left, and that's exactly how he wants it. He has withered down to nothing and the drugs have begun to take a toll on him mentally. I am afraid of how our meeting will go. He is angry and believes we have turned our back on him, but we know it's the drugs speaking, as he apologized profusely and genuinely when he was clean for abandoning us. We forgave him for everything and just asked that he start his life fresh and new and live it well for himself to make up for the past. He has too much shame and guilt now to do that and has said he no longer has the will to live.

I have avoided meeting or talking with him because for so long our world was flipped upside down and we finally have some calm and I don't want to lose that again, but the other part of me sees my Dad suffering and sad and I don't want him to go without him knowing he is loved.
I just hope that our visit will be good and peace can be made and if there is any hope left for him that he recognizes it and seeks to get help once more.

If you could, would you say a prayer for him and my two younger sisters and I as we go to visit him? Appreciated as always.
Coming from a recovering drug addict, your tough love was the right thing. No matter how much you love someone you can't let them destroy your life too.
On that note, there is always hope. Let him know you love him and forgive him.Not for him but for YOURSELF. So you know you did all you could and at the end you can say that and know its the truth. :prayer::kiss::hug:

Upvote 0

Inkachu

Bursting with fruit flavor!
Jan 31, 2008
Somewhere between Rivendell and Rohan
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
:hug: I've been there, hon. Not with my dad, but with my brother. There's nothing I can say that you don't already know, but...don't let any anger or irrational behavior that he displays hurt you personally. It won't be HIM talking, it's the drugs talking. I know you know that. And I know it still hurts. But...you're doing the right thing, I think, in visiting him and showing him love, no matter what his reaction will be.

:hug:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

traingosorry

I'm what Willis was talkin' bout.
Mar 10, 2004
✟14,190.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thanks you guys! My youngest sister called him today to check if he would be okay with us coming for a visit and she said he sounded really happy and a bit relieved to hear we wanted to see him.

I think it's going to be ok.

Thanks again for the prayers. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums