• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

I wish I didn't have a sexuality so I didn't struggle with masturbation

angelsaroundme

Mar 4, 2020
Georgia
✟141,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
What other things do you have to channel your energy into?

If you struggle socially or for some reason can't be around people right now or do activities with them, it might be helpful to do some kind of writing or other artistic endeavor.

Upvote 0

pinkjess

There she goes...at the speed of sound
Feb 24, 2009
✟85,038.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
What other things do you have to channel your energy into?

If you struggle socially or for some reason can't be around people right now or do activities with them, it might be helpful to do some kind of writing or other artistic endeavor.
I've been trying to teach myself web development so I can potentially get into a better career. I like to go on walks and bike rides. But since moving to my apartment I haven't been able to ride my bike as much because the area isn't very safe. Biking was how I channeled most of my energy and cleared my head. I miss it.

Upvote 0

angelsaroundme

Mar 4, 2020
Georgia
✟141,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
That's good about learning web development. The thing about strong interests and passions is that when you are absorbed in them, you can often avoid the thoughts or compulsions you don't want, sometimes without effort. Though it can take time to develop them to a point where you can get lost in them.

Ironically, hating something can keep you invested in it. Rather than push it away, by putting a lot of emotion into that subject, it can actually keep it close to you. It's like the saying that the opposite of love isn't hate, it's apathy. So, if you view the compulsion as a super serious thing in your mind than any mention of it can cause anxiety, which may even lead to doing the compulsion. Yet by making it into less of a deal you should be able to reduce your anxiety and reduce the strength of the compulsion.

• Friendly
Reactions: pinkjess
Upvote 0

pinkjess

There she goes...at the speed of sound
Feb 24, 2009
✟85,038.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
That's good about learning web development. The thing about strong interests and passions is that when you are absorbed in them, you can often avoid the thoughts or compulsions you don't want, sometimes without effort. Though it can take time to develop them to a point where you can get lost in them.

Ironically, hating something can keep you invested in it. Rather than push it away, by putting a lot of emotion into that subject, it can actually keep it close to you. It's like the saying that the opposite of love isn't hate, it's apathy. So, if you view the compulsion as a super serious thing in your mind than any mention of it can cause anxiety, which may even lead to doing the compulsion. Yet by making it into less of a deal you should be able to reduce your anxiety and reduce the strength of the compulsion.
That makes a lot of sense. I have OCD and one of the tricks they tell sufferers is to not put stock into obsessional thoughts because it makes them more "real" and frequent. I will try to see my struggle as such.

Thank you so much for talking to me about this.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,543.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
There is a Scripture that says that there are some things so shameful they should not be talked about, especially in public. There are things that should be kept just between us and God. What is needed in the face of sinful habit patterns is to strengthen knowledge and faith in Jesus being our Substitute for sin, and that He has taken our sin and punishment upon Himself and has given us His righteousness as a free gift. Once we have that foundation sorted, we can trust the Holy Spirit to help us overcome our sinful habit patterns.

Upvote 0