Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What does "gates" mean?

NIV Matthew 16:

18 And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it.
I.e., The church will overcome the gates of Hades.

The gates represent the entrance and exit points of the stronghold of Hades. Hades is compared to a city. The gates are the positions reinforced by powerful defenses. The gates of Hades symbolize the realm and power of death.

The church represents the Kingdom of God. The Kingdom of God advances against Hades, attacks its gates, and prevails over them.

The body of Christ (the church) spreads the gospel to people who are spiritually dead (in Hades). The power of Hades cannot stop this advance. Some will believe and enter the kingdom of heaven:

19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be e loosed in heaven.”
Hades will be unable to lock up the people inside by its gates. The dead will rise to receive the keys to heaven.

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟83,577.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Psalms 24:7-10
Thanks for the reference. This is how to do referencing in a scholarly manner:
  1. Display and indent the quoted text.
  2. Selectively bold the relevant keywords that are important to the point that you are making. No need to bold the entire sentence. Have a laser-sharp focus.
  3. Be concise and precise to the point. No need to quote the whole chapter.
This is what I do for others who read my posts. It is a standard high-school scholarship. If you practice this, I guarantee you: it will improve your analytical thinking. In any case, no one is required to do it.

Upvote 0