I was Jewish, then Protestant, then Catholic. Here’s why the Holy Eucharist strikes me so powerfully...

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,678,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Blessed Sacrament is just one of many reasons why I entered the Church.

On May 20, I took part in a Eucharistic procession that made its way through Washington, D.C., carrying the Body and Blood of Jesus Christ to the White House and other centers of power in our nation’s capital. At each stop, local priests — including Father Charles Trullols of the Catholic Information Center (CIC) and Msgr. Charles Pope — led a kneeling crowd in prayer for our country, our leaders and other intentions.

This was a new experience for me. As a recent convert to the Catholic Church, the idea that “the body and blood, together with the soul and divinity, of our Lord Jesus Christ … is truly, really, and substantially contained” (CCC 1374) was nearly impossible for me to grasp at first.

But the fact is that Jesus Christ — fully God and fully man — loves us each so much that he willingly suffered a brutal death for our salvation. Then he left us with an ability to unite with him both spiritually and bodily every day if we so desire.

As I moved from Judaism through Protestantism to the Catholic Church, there were three things I struggled to understand about the Holy Eucharist: First, why would God give us the ability to commune with him bodily, not just spiritually? Second, where in the Bible is it stated that Christ’s Body and Blood are truly present in the Eucharist? And third, does our world have any tangible evidence to help bolster our belief in this mystery of faith?

Continued below.