I wanted to join an ELCA in my community but…

Muffy

Sep 9, 2022
North East Pennsylvania
✟9,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Please help me understand why Bishop Eaton of the ELCA in America would champion the case for Freedom of Choice in the recent Supreme Court decision regarding ‘Roe vs Wade’. I agree with all points of the Lutheran faith but this point involves taking a life, i.e. murder. How can anyone who loves God and chooses to be a leader of Christians advocate for abortion? I have visited this Church a few times and I really like the pastor and congregants and love, love how they truly help our people in our community. But this has me stumped and truly disappointed. Please enlighten me if I have misunderstood their position. If this is their position I will have to find another Church. I am a quiet woman and I desire respectful dialogue to help enlighten me. If this becomes inflammatory then I will ask to close this thread.

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟403,021.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Hey, welcome! Glad you're here!

For transparency's sake, I can mention that I'm an Orthodox Lutheran, so there are many areas where we clash with the ELCA. Nonetheless, I can affirm that the ELCA, at least in leadership, supports abortion as an option.

You can find the ELCA's official statement here:
Abortion

Regrettably, the different bodies in the broader Lutheran Church are very divided. However, while I don't know too much about them, I'm of the impression that the North American Lutheran Church (NALC) is somewhere in the middle, so if you can't with a good conscience find a home with the ELCA, perhaps you'll have better luck with the NALC, providing they are in your area? I believe the NALC are opposed to abortion.

Upvote 0

Muffy

Sep 9, 2022
North East Pennsylvania
✟9,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey, welcome! Glad you're here!

For transparency's sake, I can mention that I'm an Orthodox Lutheran, so there are many areas where we clash with the ELCA. Nonetheless, I can affirm that the ELCA, at least in leadership, supports abortion as an option.

You can find the ELCA's official statement here:
Abortion

Regrettably, the different bodies in the broader Lutheran Church are very divided. However, while I don't know too much about them, I'm of the impression that the North American Lutheran Church (NALC) is somewhere in the middle, so if you can't with a good conscience find a home with the ELCA, perhaps you'll have better luck with the NALC, providing they are in your area? I believe the NALC are opposed to abortion.
Daniel9v9, thank you so much for this file. I will definitely prayerfully read this. I appreciate your kind response.

• Friendly
Reactions: Daniel9v9
Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was a member at an ELCA church for a while. I can say that many churches in the ELCA are more conservative than the overall leadership of the church.

The denomination is one of the more liberal denominations in the USA, openly supporting LGBT individuals as far as allowing them to be bishops and abortion. If you are Lutheran in theology and liberal in beliefs, then the ELCA is a pretty good fit. It is unlikely you will find a church that is liberal on most matters but conservative in regards to abortion.

If you are actually more conservative overall then you can still be a member at an ELCA church, but understand the denomination at large is not like that. Alternatively a LCMS, WELS, ELS, or NALC church may fit you better, but without knowing more about your views it is tough to say if those would be a good fit or not.

Upvote 0

Muffy

Sep 9, 2022
North East Pennsylvania
✟9,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was a member at an ELCA church for a while. I can say that many churches in the ELCA are more conservative than the overall leadership of the church.

The denomination is one of the more liberal denominations in the USA, openly supporting LGBT individuals as far as allowing them to be bishops and abortion. If you are Lutheran in theology and liberal in beliefs, then the ELCA is a pretty good fit. It is unlikely you will find a church that is liberal on most matters but conservative in regards to abortion.

If you are actually more conservative overall then you can still be a member at an ELCA church, but understand the denomination at large is not like that. Alternatively a LCMS, WELS, ELS, or NALC church may fit you better, but without knowing more about your views it is tough to say if those would be a good fit or not.
Thank you for your input, tampasteve!

Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0

AngelusSax

Believe
Apr 16, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟15,490.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am a member of an ELCA congregation. I believe the official social statement on abortion is a tad more "conservative" than what gets put out by many in the current leadership positions. Even with the official social statement, the church does support legalized abortion, but notes that it should be more of the exception than the rule. Current political swings have led to more statements supporting the legal aspect without qualifying the "rare or last resort" (not an actual quote but the sense I get) that is stated/implied in the official statement.

I refer you to section III of the statement here:

https://download.elca.org/ELCA Reso...49.676022523.1664375610-1531649183.1659908304

• Informative
Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0