Aug 23, 2007
✟785,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
This entire weekend has been wrought by brutal insomnia. It happened last night and the night before (for the record, I strongly believe it's hormonal, and therefore not a mystery). It is so bad that I may miss all the Masses this weekend, if I can't force myself to drive to church. It couldn't have happened at a more inopportune time. Worse off, I'm "unconfessed," and the only church that offers Sunday confession (only a 20-minute block too) is at a parish literally 26 miles away. I could try to go down there, and come back to my hometown's downtown parish, but I don't think I'll have the fortitude for the 4 pm Vigil. I would like to, but the prospect lacks certainty. I know that this pain is temporary but why does it have to occur on the same weekend as the Christmas Masses? :sigh::sigh::sigh:

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟277,080.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have one small bit of advice for you: be safe. We can't have you trying to drive to Masses while you're so exhausted that you fall asleep at the wheel and injure yourself or others. If you're too tired to drive, stay home!

I know where you're coming from. Back in the days when I was still in the military or working in law enforcement, I had more holidays than I care to count where I didn't make it to Mass or was simply too blasted to get myself there when I wasn't working. You're not a machine, you're a human being---and human beings must have rest, or at least down time.

God understands this, and I doubt that He will hold it against you for missing Masses for very good reasons. :) I also understand your disappointment at not being able to make it to Mass, but it happens; we live in an imperfect world.

And I also understand the burden of not being able to receive Holy Communion because you haven't been to confession....been there, done that, too. The best thing to do is make a private confession and resolve to do better, engage in prayer and devotional readings until you can get to a sacramental confession when it isn't so inconvenient for you. God understands all of that, too. :)

I do wish you well.....and I also wish you a blessed Christmas. :)

Reactions: Lady Bug
Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Thankful For My Confirmation
Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟785,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I was able to go today. I was more tired than I wanted to be, but not as deadly as yesterday. However, I think I'm starting to get that non-driveable feeling again. I'm struggling not to have a negative perspective of what went on today (there are a couple reasons), because everything went very well, technically.

Reactions: Praying Rose
Upvote 0

Praying Rose

Jan 11, 2020
USA
✟49,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm so glad you made it! I have a similar struggle with chronic hypersomnia, among other things. It's often hard to gauge how tired is too tired. And part of me always feels guilty when missing Mass for it, like I didn't try hard enough. Hugs and prayers. It is much better to stay safe. Most people who get in wrecks feel like they are fine to drive.

• Friendly
Reactions: Lady Bug
Upvote 0