Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Baptism means so much to me because I really believe my sins are washed away.

I thought of Baptism recently while cleaning our boat and dreaming of a long hot shower. Baptizing myself from top to bottom, water sluicing over every bump, bruise, and curve.

It occurred to me that being baptized this way would be a neat idea, and I wondered what the church would say about that.
I was baptized and raised as a member of the Dutch Reformed Church, but I don’t remember being baptized because I was just a baby. Still, Baptism has always been essential to me. I don’t really know why. But when I was a child, I baptized all my dolls. I also baptized my pet Chacma African baboon, Doonsie. The concept of baptism was something I was raised with and didn’t question. But as an adult? I wanted to know more.

When I converted to Catholicism in 1994, I asked my priest whether I needed to be baptized again, and he said no. To be honest, I was disappointed and surprised. I knew Baptism was one of the Seven Sacraments of the Catholic Faith. I knew the Catholics believed that with Baptism, a believer is cleansed from sins and begins a new life.
I was looking forward to being baptized and receiving my first communion after a year of instruction from my sponsor and my priest. I knew it would be an evening service and thought being baptized would make it truly memorable. I adore the traditions of Catholicism. I wanted to be baptized during the Easter Vigil Mass, the night before Easter Sunday. It is a beautiful ceremony, which terminates with the Catechumens, after being baptized, receiving their white garments and a candle lit from the Paschal Candle. Then they are confirmed and receive communion.

I wanted it all. I wanted the magic. I wanted to be baptized because I truly believed in the power of Baptism. I wholly embraced my new faith and told my sponsor it was as if Mother Church had opened her arms and welcomed me home. But the Catholic Church upholds that one baptism is enough. So? No second baptism for me. To help me understand this, I decided to explore the history and meaning of baptism.

Some Baptism Basics​

Continued below.

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟157,138.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
i wanted to be baptized again, too. I was baptized Catholic when I was a few weeks old and then later began checking out Protestant churches where they baptize by emersion when you’re old enough to make a decision on your own about it. I’d like to do this but I’m probably going to return the the RCC and they don’t re-baptize people.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Baptism is a sacrament of faith. When parents Baptise their infant child, it is out of their faith
that the child receives the sacrament. The Church desires so much that the child be raised in
the faith, that even God Parents are mandated.

Baptism is recognized in other denominations provided the proper words of Baptism
are used, "I Baptize you in the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit."
For this reason, legitimate Baptism can only be received once.

Confirmation in the Catholic Church means, confirming the faith you have and your
commitment to follow Christ. It is generally received when a person reaches the age
of reason. Orthodox Baptise, Confirm and receive the Eucharist as infants, or when entering
the church.

Upvote 0

Chrystal-J

The one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟806,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I was told you have to be baptized again if you were in the Jehovah Witnesses because they baptize you in the name of the Father, Son and the Jehovah Witness Organization.

Upvote 0