• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

I told my counselor my blasphemous thought about the Holy Spirit, help!

theniceiceman

May 8, 2015
✟15,762.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Of course after finding out about the unforgivable sin, I became terrified and started having all sorts of intrusive thoughts about it. One of these was directed right at the Holy Spirit, and it was awful. Well, I had my first appointment with a Christian counselor last week, and he asked me, 'What sort of blasphemous thoughts are you having?'

Stupidly, I told him. Out loud. I cleaned it up a little, so there was no real cursing, but the gist of it was still there. Now I'm terrified that I've committed the unforgivable sin because I spoke against the Holy Spirit, even though I didn't believe/want what I was saying. There was no malice behind it; I wasn't trying to turn my counselor away from Jesus, obviously. I just said it because he asked me and I, in my desperate attempt to get help, told him, because I wanted him to help me and reassure me.

Now I'm worried that God has abandoned me, that He won't forgive me for saying it, because it says right in Matthew that speaking against the Holy Spirit won't be forgiven. I've read all sorts of websites that *should* reassure me, but I'm still struggling to find that reassurance. I've prayed a heck of a lot about it and apologized to God over and over, and I feel awful about it.

My mom tells me that God knows about my OCD and He knows I'm mentally ill. He knows I wasn't saying it out of a hardened heart, and He knows I regret it. I know that God knows all of that, too. It's just so hard to find comfort from it when it says right there in the Bible, from *Jesus'* own mouth, that whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit won't be forgiven. I had focused so much on the blaspheming part that I forgot (or never knew/realized in the first place) that it also said speaking against the Holy Spirit is unforgivable. If I'd gone in there remembering/knowing that, I doubt I'd have said it!

LaSorcia

Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2015
✟1,346,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Your mom is right honey. It's okay. I pray you feel more peaceful. When you get intrusive thoughts, you might want to repeat a bible verse, such as, "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." I'm sorry you are stressed out and I pray God protects you from attacks of the evil one.

Upvote 0

denise101

Feb 3, 2016
Dallas County
✟7,612.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Your mom is right honey. It's okay. I pray you feel more peaceful. When you get intrusive thoughts, you might want to repeat a bible verse, such as, "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." I'm sorry you are stressed out and I pray God protects you from attacks of the evil one.
Of course after finding out about the unforgivable sin, I became terrified and started having all sorts of intrusive thoughts about it. One of these was directed right at the Holy Spirit, and it was awful. Well, I had my first appointment with a Christian counselor last week, and he asked me, 'What sort of blasphemous thoughts are you having?'

Stupidly, I told him. Out loud. I cleaned it up a little, so there was no real cursing, but the gist of it was still there. Now I'm terrified that I've committed the unforgivable sin because I spoke against the Holy Spirit, even though I didn't believe/want what I was saying. There was no malice behind it; I wasn't trying to turn my counselor away from Jesus, obviously. I just said it because he asked me and I, in my desperate attempt to get help, told him, because I wanted him to help me and reassure me.

Now I'm worried that God has abandoned me, that He won't forgive me for saying it, because it says right in Matthew that speaking against the Holy Spirit won't be forgiven. I've read all sorts of websites that *should* reassure me, but I'm still struggling to find that reassurance. I've prayed a heck of a lot about it and apologized to God over and over, and I feel awful about it.

My mom tells me that God knows about my OCD and He knows I'm mentally ill. He knows I wasn't saying it out of a hardened heart, and He knows I regret it. I know that God knows all of that, too. It's just so hard to find comfort from it when it says right there in the Bible, from *Jesus'* own mouth, that whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit won't be forgiven. I had focused so much on the blaspheming part that I forgot (or never knew/realized in the first place) that it also said speaking against the Holy Spirit is unforgivable. If I'd gone in there remembering/knowing that, I doubt I'd have said it!

Upvote 0

denise101

Feb 3, 2016
Dallas County
✟7,612.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

I am currently trying to understand what I am going through. For 13 years I thought I had blasphemed the Holy Spirit and it would worry me everyday. Even though the Lord healed my eyes on January 24,1998 and allowed me to feel His Spirit for years, I would worry and lay in bed for a long time. I finally got tired of the doubt and just refused to accept that I had done this sin. But lately I have been having blasphemous thoughts against God. And although people tell me I haven't committed the unpardonable sin (prophets, one apostle and people who have struggled with this sin) I still attempt to define what that sin is. I borrowed a Matthew Henry commentary years ago and here is what I found. You have to ask the question - who else besides Jesus is going to come and save your soul if you don't believe in him? The answer is nobody right? So since that's true - the only way people can blaspheme is not take the help that has already been offered which is Jesus and not repent of sins. You see how that works? But I understand the fear in it all because my experience comes with physical pain. I will feel burning and stinging on my skin every now and then when I try to focus on praising Jesus. Also, the devil uses women's voices to torment me. They will finish my thoughts and say "Blasphemy of the Holy Ghost" and "you are going to hell". Although I look around my bedroom and I hear these voices, I can't see them. They are just voices that come from the direction of my window in my bedroom. If I go into another place in the house, I still hear those voices. They would say demon and Satan over and over again. No amount of rebuking stops them. And they are quick to point out that in the King James version of the bible, the epistles of Paul mostly address men. They act as though the Bible is for men only. So when I try to claim a promise or get a scripture to cover me - they want me to believe that those scriptures don't apply to me as a female. Have you had physical attacks on your body as a result of your ordeal?

Upvote 0

AHH who-stole-my-name

in accordance with Christ
Jul 29, 2011
✟27,817.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
There is love in Christ and through him we gain salvation. God made you, my friend and knows of your difficulties. Ask for his forgiveness and it will be granted. Praise him in all that you do.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Do you understand that without the Holy Spirit you would have no feelings of guilt?---It is the Holy Spirit that gives us conscience. If you had grieved away the Holy Spirit, you would not be having any thoughts of guilt at all. God says that He will forgive you anything that you ask forgiveness for. You have to have faith and accept Him at His word. Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is not asking for forgiveness. If you do not ask, you can not be forgiven.

Upvote 0

wagingwar

Feb 11, 2016
In His Presence
✟7,843.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married

The exact thing happened to me. When I first turned to God, and started reading the Bible, I came across Mark 3:29. Immediately intense fear gripped me. I wondered if I might have already blasphemed the Holy Spirit, or if I might do it by accident. I tried to clear my mind so I wouldn't do it by accident, you know, like having bad thoughts about the Holy Spirit go through my mind. This fear stuck with me for a long time. A few years later I realized that I had not read that verse in context. If you read Mark 3:22-30 you'll see that the Pharisees said Jesus was casting out demons by the power of Satan, when in fact it was the power of the Holy Spirit.

This is how it reads in the Amplified Bible, which I strongly suggest you getting so you can study the scriptures in the New Testament and claim the promises of God so you can grow in faith and overcome these negative thoughts. Mark 3:22-30 The scribes who came down from Jerusalem were saying, “He is possessed by Beelzebul (Satan),” and “He is driving out the demons by the [power of the] ruler of the demons.” 23 So He called them to Himself and spoke to them in parables, “How can Satan drive out Satan? 24 If a kingdom is divided [split into factions and rebelling] against itself, that kingdom cannot stand. 25 And if a house is divided against itself, that house cannot stand. 26 And if Satan has risen up against himself and is divided, he cannot stand, but is coming to an end. 27 But no one can go into a strong man’s house and steal his property unless he first overpowers and ties up the strong man, and then he will ransack androb his house. 28 “I assure you and most solemnly say to you, all sins will be forgiven the sons of men, and all the abusive and blasphemous things they say; 29 but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit and His power [by attributing the miracles done by Me to Satan] never has forgiveness, but is guilty of an everlasting sin [a sin which is unforgivable in this present age as well as in the age to come]”— 30 [Jesus said this] because the scribes and Pharisees were [attributing His miracles to Satan by] saying, “He has an unclean spirit.”

Another point I'd like to make is the fact that you have to mean it. God's not going to hold you accountable for sentences, or thoughts going through your mind out of fear. He's only going to hold you accountable if you truly come against the Holy Spirit. If you're fearful about doing it, you don't mean it at all. This is satan tormenting your mind. It is my opinion that OCD is caused by a tormenting demon, and that's where the obsessive thoughts, compulsions/urges, intense emotions, sentences, and images come from. If it's victims could only realize that it's not coming from the inside, it's coming from the outside (a demonic spirit), the battle would be 90 percent won. Because we think it's us that's messed up, our brains that are broken, we accept the lie that we can't overcome. But it's just another lie, just like all the other lies we've accepted along the way. There is healing in the name of Jesus through the power of the Holy Spirit, and what better way to keep you from accepting that power but by making you believe that you've sinned against the Holy Spirit?! God has gotten you to this point, and he's not going to let you go. You are healed in Jesus name. You are an overcomer in Jesus name. And no demon from hell can take that from you! 1 John 5:4 For whoever is born of God overcomes the world: and this is the victory that overcomes the world, even our faith. Whether you feel it or not, you ARE an overcommer because of what Jesus did for you. Decide to believe that no matter how you feel, or what thoughts come to mind, and act on it by loving and serving others. When you help others overcome, you keep your mind off yourself, and grow stronger in faith.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Christian39

Mar 6, 2016
TN
✟7,826.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello everyone,
I have also battled these evil blasphemous thoughts. It really started in 1998. It was a battle Satan waged on my mind. Like others have said, if you are actually worried that youve committed the unpardonable sin, you havent. Do any of you take pleasure in having these evil thoughts? I sure didn't and still have unwanted thoughts go through my mind. Now I'm having trouble and obsessions with death. It's a sudden and gripping fear. I know this fear is condemned because Jesus gave his life for me and conquered death. I need faith and not fear. If you all could pray for me, I sure would appreciate it. Thank you

Reactions: Nina21
Upvote 0

Faithfulandtrue

Follow of Jesus Christ
Jun 24, 2014
✟41,714.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Dear friend you don't need to worry at all. Your mom is right God knows you didn't mean it and that you have unwanted thoughts from your OCD. Take a deep breath you are still saved:) . I know just how you are feeling. I too have OCD which is now under control but I remember how it felt the time i had my ocd break down. Looking back I realize how silly it was. Don't lose hope my friend, you are still a child of the One true King God.:) Hugs! Praying for you to find rest from any anxiety

Reactions: Nina21
Upvote 0