✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Setfree2day,

My wife and I recently made a similar journey. Another person you might want to talk to on this forum is "NRB." He just moved from a Baptist church into the PCA and had a lot to think about during the transition. What you're asking can be a difficult question because there are so many different types of Baptists (Confessional vs, Non-Creedal, Arminian vs Calvinist, Dispensational vs Covenant/NCT, etc...). But anyways, some general differences between the two:

Baptism - The most obvious difference

Presbyterian: Paedobaptist - Presbyterians baptize both adult converts and covenant children while strictly denying baptismal regeneration.

Baptist: Credobaptists - Baptists only baptize adults/adolescents who have already made a profession of faith

Reformed Theology

Presbyterian: Presbyterians generally hold to a fully-orbed reformed theology which is not limited to the "5 Points of Calvinism"

Baptist: While there are reformed Baptists, they generally are only "Calvinistic" or may hold to some modified form of Covenant Theology (such as the 1689 London Baptist Confession) but generally do not fully hold to reformed theology.

The Sacraments

Presbyterian: Presbyterians believe that the sacraments are a means of Grace and believe that (for example) in the Lord's Supper Christ actually ministers to us spiritually. Not that he is physically present in the elements because he is seated at the right hand of the Father, but that he confirms his gospel to us in the sacrament and by faith we believe the gospel and receive the benefits of Christ.

Baptist: Baptists believe that the sacraments are ordinances and are memorials, but they have no efficacy in and of themselves; i.e., God isn't really "doing anything" through them, it is all about us and our convictions.

The Regulative Principle of Worship

Presbyterian: When the church gathers together in the solemn assembly of the public worship of God, our activities are to be regulated by Scripture. We are not to approach God in any other way other than that which he has provided. Therefore, our church services should only contain those elements that are specified in Scripture. We are not to invent.

Baptist: Baptists generally hold to a form of the "Normative Principle of Worship" which states that we are free to do anything in the worship service that Scripture does not specifically prohibit. Of course different congregations will practice this to varying extents .

There are other things that should be mentioned also, but this is a beginning list of basic differences. I hope this helps get the ball rolling for you! :)

Having "turned Presbyterian" (PCA) myself, I think that this is a pretty helpful list. Good job.

My view is that if one has already grasped Reformed theology, it's not a big leap to a Presbyterian church. In fact some might argue that it's a logical progression.

Liturgy is something else that could be mentioned. In my experience, Baptists tend to shy away from anything structured as far as liturgy goes, while Presbyterians have a structured order a service that I have grown to love, but coming from a non-denominational/Baptist background, there was a learning (to love it) curve.

Upvote 0