• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

pantingdeer

Jun 19, 2016
United Kingdom
✟101,884.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi there. I have been struggling with my mental health for the past few years and I believe I’m depressed. Recently I was reading something about sociopaths and psychopaths and it dawned on me that I felt similar to those people.
- I find it hard to care about people and so often fake my feelings (I didn’t cry or get sad when my grandparent died)
- I find it hard to behave normally in public such as not knowing what an appropriate thing to say is or doing things people think are weird.
- I’m always bored
- I’m angry and get feelings that I want to punch people because they make me sad
- I’ve never been in a relationship with a girl and I’m 20
- insincere apologies
- I feel emotionless

I wish I was not this way. Even though I can blend in with people I feel like I live a double life as I have to make up feelings a lot or else people would think badly about me which I don’t want as I already struggle a great deal in getting along with people and making friends.

I’m not saved and I don’t know how I could be since if I can’t love/emotionally-connect to anyone that I can see how can I love someone I can’t see.

Do you think I am a psychopath? If yes how can I get better?

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,408.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My brother was 22 before he went out with a girl. Believe it or not, it's not abnormal to wait to date until after college.

being a bit more socially awkward doesn't mean your mentally ill.

getting angry sometimes doesn't mean your mentally ill, everyone gets angry from time to time.

Not being very sad when people you aren't especially close to die isnt abnormal when your young... death of elderly people doesn't always register the same in youth as it might in adulthood, and death of the elderly isn't always viewed as negatively anyway as death of someone who is young..

The majority of people with mental illness don't recognize themselves as particularly ill... they see themselves as normal unless issues prevent them from somehow living a normal life..

That said, only you can say whether you feel there are areas of concern, such as uncontrollable anger, overwhelming pleasure at killing small animals or a desire to kill small animals..

If you feel there are true areas of concern then set up an appointment with a psychiatrist to talk about why you feel that way.. but overall it sounds fairly normal for your age if your a little bit socially awkward, which isn't an illness..

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,187.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am no doctor of any kind... but have you seen a counselor? There are many good licensed Christian counselors out there who can help. If you cannot afford to pay, I am sure there are churches who will help.
Like I said, I am not a doctor of any kind, but I think if you see these issues in your self, that concern would seem to discount the probability of you being a sociopath/psychopath. If you were, I doubt you would see it or even care.
God is fully aware of your situation, and He said if you call on the name of the Lord you will be saved. He did not lie about this. It is not your faithfulness and love that that is important, it is His. He is faithful. He loves you. If you have not done so, call on His name... Jesus. And know that He is faithful to do what He said He would do. Do this and we will celebrate your salvation!

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,489.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi there. I have been struggling with my mental health for the past few years and I believe I’m depressed. Recently I was reading something about sociopaths and psychopaths and it dawned on me that I felt similar to those people.
- I find it hard to care about people and so often fake my feelings (I didn’t cry or get sad when my grandparent died)
- I find it hard to behave normally in public such as not knowing what an appropriate thing to say is or doing things people think are weird.
- I’m always bored
- I’m angry and get feelings that I want to punch people because they make me sad
- insincere apologies
- I feel emotionless

I wish I was not this way. Even though I can blend in with people I feel like I live a double life as I have to make up feelings a lot or else people would think badly about me which I don’t want as I already struggle a great deal in getting along with people and making friends.

I’m not saved and I don’t know how I could be since if I can’t love/emotionally-connect to anyone that I can see how can I love someone I can’t see.

Sounds like you may need some professional help. The first step is to recognize you have a problem which you have done. Now seek some Christian counseling.But most of all, walk in the Holy Spirit as He will help you overcome and give you more Love in your heart. If you do not think you have the Holy Spirit, simply ask the Father to give it to you through prayer in supplication.
Blessings

Upvote 0

Lily76_

Pray for the Persecuted
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2007
scotland
✟473,261.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
you could have what i have and that is BORDERLINE PERSONALITY DISORDER i didn't cry when my dad died or my gran , am socially awkward , only had one serous relationship, you could have a number of things but you need to see a medical professional like a dr or psych we cant give a diagnose as we are not trained and we cant take that responsibility see a psych

Upvote 0

pantingdeer

Jun 19, 2016
United Kingdom
✟101,884.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
you could have what i have and that is BORDERLINE PERSONALITY DISORDER i didn't cry when my dad died or my gran , am socially awkward , only had one serous relationship, you could have a number of things but you need to see a medical professional like a dr or psych we cant give a diagnose as we are not trained and we cant take that responsibility see a psych
Thank you for your suggestion. I’ve read up on that and I think that is what I could have. I get angry, feel lonely, have a lot of ups and downs regarding my views on friendships.

Upvote 0

ChicanaRose

Mar 26, 2019
west coast
✟75,698.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thank you guys very much for your responses. Do you have to see a doctor to meet a counsellor.

It depends on your insurance protocol. Some insurances require that you get a referral from your doctor.

Upvote 0

ChicanaRose

Mar 26, 2019
west coast
✟75,698.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I don't know if it's psychopathy or if there is a spiritual cause to it. Since you are Christian-seeker, maybe consider a Christian therapist.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jaxxi

Half-ready for Anything.....
Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
- I’m always bored
- insincere apologies
- I feel emotionless

First, I suggest you be baptized . Secondly, I have a video I would like you to watch that might help you. This guy's honesty is note-worthy.

Upvote 0

Thomas White

Feb 9, 2020
Stockbridge
✟79,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
- I’m always bored
- insincere apologies
- I feel emotionless

Those symptoms you listed are symptoms of depression. If you were a sociopath/psychopath, you would not be concerned with getting better or talking to people on this forum. That, alone, shows you care and have desires for human interaction.

Upvote 0

Jaxxi

Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Those symptoms you listed are symptoms of depression. If you were a sociopath/psychopath, you would not be concerned with getting better or talking to people on this forum. That, alone, shows you care and have desires for human interaction.
That is true huh. If he didn't even care or see anything wrong with it then there would be a major problem. I am concerned that he does not feel love for anyone though, or feel loved. I wouldn't even feel alive without those things. Don't you feel his getting baptized might help if he had the Holy Spirit within to feel compassion?

Upvote 0

Thomas White

Feb 9, 2020
Stockbridge
✟79,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
That is true huh. If he didn't even care or see anything wrong with it then there would be a major problem. I am concerned that he does not feel love for anyone though, or feel loved. I wouldn't even feel alive without those things. Don't you feel his getting baptized might help if he had the Holy Spirit within to feel compassion?

Christ can help with anything.

Upvote 0

Jaxxi

Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Christ can help with anything.
That is very true but He doesn't always. It depends on the person really. I don't think He always shows up for people who doubt Him in their hearts. I mean, He isn't running around trying to prove Himself. He doesn't need us to be God and sometimes I wonder if Atheists think God tried to prove Himself to them and failed, like that could happen. Then again, If He hardens their hearts and blinds them He could be on their lap and they wouldn't know it. I am not referring to the OP, I mean just in general

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jesusfann777888

Mar 28, 2021
manhattan
✟18,921.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
- I’m always bored
- insincere apologies
- I feel emotionless

Uhh, well, I think this is what is called hypochondria when you think you have something you don't. Most psychopaths don't evaluate their mental state.

Upvote 0

Lily76_

Pray for the Persecuted
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2007
scotland
✟473,261.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
Uhh, well, I think this is what is called hypochondria when you think you have something you don't. Most psychopaths don't evaluate their mental state.
it's not hypochondria ,don't be so judgemental about Mental health please Thank you

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,952.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
- I’m always bored
- insincere apologies
- I feel emotionless

Emotional issues can be hard to get through and overcome. However, Jesus tells us how to overcome.

Mark 14:38 Watch and pray, lest you enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak."

Temptation is not just outright sins, it is also the temptation to give in to sadness, loneliness, or darker thoughts. Jesus tells us that as we daily, every day (watch), and continue to pray, His strength will replace our weakness.

But we need to put in an effort, to fight for our own peace.

Upvote 0