I realize this is inconsistent (true church)

OkieAllDay

Jun 17, 2023
Oklahoma
✟15,976.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I realize that what I am about to say is "inconsistent" and I can already hear the replies from Protestants & EO & Catholics.

I think the Protestant position seems to be more backed up by the Bible.

BUT I also am increasingly feeling like Eastern Orthodoxy (and to a lesser extent, Catholicism) is the more historic position on points of contention.

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟430,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
That seems very consistent for the types of claims people from those churches usually make. Meaning, the Protestants argue that they are the most Biblical, and hence have several centuries worth of arguments (and of course an entire methodology) to supposedly prove it, over and against the claims of the others (usually in practice just Roman Catholics, since Protestantism is a Roman Catholic thing, though some may apply similar criticisms to Eastern Orthodox, if they know that the EO exist).

Likewise, the claims of Roman Catholics and Eastern Orthodox, while certainly not being in any way 'anti-Biblical' (despite claims to the contrary by certain Protestants), do tend to be shaped more around the history that both of those churches have that can be marshalled to show that they, and not the Protestants, have the correct position(s) on whatever we're talking about.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I realize that what I am about to say is "inconsistent" and I can already hear the replies from Protestants & EO & Catholics.

BUT I also am increasingly feeling like Eastern Orthodoxy (and to a lesser extent, Catholicism) is the more historic position on points of contention.

You would have to explain what you mean by the protestant position being more backed up by the bible. Personally I view the Orthodox position to be more aligned with the teachings of the bible. If I didn't I would still be a protestant.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

The true church are those in Christ .... the true church is not any one denomination ...

Very few protestants left in the world ... protestantism came out of the reformation protesting the forced belief system (through persecution) coming out of Rome.

The result of the reformation was bringing people back to bible only beliefs .... a struggle .... because some of the false beliefs were continued .... because knowledge (total truth) was increasing but not complete (and is still increasing today) however ... I will say .... we live in a time whereas it is much more easier and faster to sort these things out ... due to the internet ....by using search and comparison tools within the written word in its entirety. Precept upon precept.

Isaiah 28:10

“For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little:”

We can not trust anything beyond the written Word of God ... anything taught no matter where it comes from ... can not contradict it. If ... in our studies something " looks like a contradiction" ... then we need to keep studying and pray for understanding .... God does not contradict Himself.

In the United States our constitution was based on protestant christian beliefs ... however many falling away from those beliefs .... and is prophesied this would happen.

We are here ....

Matthew 24:10-13 ESV​

And then many will fall away and betray one another and hate one another. And many false prophets will arise and lead many astray. And because lawlessness will be increased, the love of many will grow cold. But the one who endures to the end will be saved.

Upvote 0