Feb 24, 2012
✟15,194.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
When I joined this message forum several months ago I was hoping to gain insight on how to deal with my husband. He wouldn't get a job and was going other things that bothered me (some of which still do), blah blah blah.

But the thing is he's been getting better. He's not perfect, but he's actually trying now. But we're still having problems. Why? Because no matter how hard he tries, his efforts never seem to be good enough for me.

I'm starting to hate myself. I know that the only reason I'm unhappy is because I refuse to allow myself to be happy and to delight in the blessings God has given me. My husband told me I have a superiority complex and that he felt like I enjoy feeling like I'm better than him. It hurt to hear him say that. It hurt because I knew it was true.

I've always been picked on by people and have been made to feel inferior. So when God blesses me with a man who never ceases to make me feel good about myself what do I do? I cut him down because it feels good.

My husband still has things he needs to work on, but I feel like I'm poison. I need to deal with my need to look for problems, but I don't know how. Please pray for me. I want to fix my problems but I don't know where to start.

OnlyBelieve

Follower of Jesus
Jan 17, 2012
Australia
✟18,006.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Praying for you sweetie.
I think as women, we can be very switched on and like things done our way...so we try contol everything.
Try to stop yourself speaking or thinking anything negative, it's hard, but I've learnt to do it. (within my marraige anyway) Only say uplifting things to say, even if it's so tiny, find that "good" you can say. It takes practice, it takes discipline, it takes God's wonderful help.
Write a list of the positive things about your hubby
Ask him to write a list of all the positive things about you
then share and meditate on the positive things and build from there.
God Bless You
(((HUGS)))
OnlyBelieve :)

Upvote 0
R

Romanseight2005

When I joined this message forum several months ago I was hoping to gain insight on how to deal with my husband. He wouldn't get a job and was going other things that bothered me (some of which still do), blah blah blah.

But the thing is he's been getting better. He's not perfect, but he's actually trying now. But we're still having problems. Why? Because no matter how hard he tries, his efforts never seem to be good enough for me.

I'm starting to hate myself. I know that the only reason I'm unhappy is because I refuse to allow myself to be happy and to delight in the blessings God has given me. My husband told me I have a superiority complex and that he felt like I enjoy feeling like I'm better than him. It hurt to hear him say that. It hurt because I knew it was true.

I've always been picked on by people and have been made to feel inferior. So when God blesses me with a man who never ceases to make me feel good about myself what do I do? I cut him down because it feels good.

My husband still has things he needs to work on, but I feel like I'm poison. I need to deal with my need to look for problems, but I don't know how. Please pray for me. I want to fix my problems but I don't know where to start.

Perhaps you could begin by praying for a heart of thankfulness. Then make a concerted effort to..... Philippians 4:8-9

Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report , if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy — meditate on these things. 9 The things which you learned and received and heard and saw in me, these do, and the God of peace will be with you.
NKJV

Upvote 0

Athene

Grammatically incorrect
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
✟42,546.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
It is a fantastic thing that you recognise that your behaviour needs to change and that you're making your husband unhappy. Because you can empathise with your husband it shows that there is a very real and good chance of you changing the way you behave towards him.

First thing is to stop making excuses for your behaviour. You don't cut your husband down because people did the same to you, you cut your husband down because you made a choice to do so. Accept responsibility for your own actions and don't pass the blame to somebody else.

Second thing, is choose to behave differently. This may take time, old habits die hard but if you try you will succeed.

Upvote 0

JRSut1000

Newbie no more!
Aug 20, 2011
United States of America
✟14,114.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
You don't cut your husband down because people did the same to you, you cut your husband down because you made a choice to do so.

Ouch! You sound like Joyce Meyer here and that's GREAT! :) It's really hard to skip from 'well, I do this because such and such' when really everything we do IS a choice. I'm preggi and I've never been this hormonal and moody ever in our whole marriage. Buuuut, its still a choice! Thanks for the reminder!

Upvote 0

Tanys

Feb 24, 2012
✟15,194.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Thanks for the advice and for the prayers, everyone!

First thing is to stop making excuses for your behaviour. You don't cut your husband down because people did the same to you, you cut your husband down because you made a choice to do so. Accept responsibility for your own actions and don't pass the blame to somebody else.

I especially needed to hear that. I'm constantly making excuses for my behavior; that's one reason we fight so much.

Upvote 0

dallasapple

Aug 13, 2006
✟13,920.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Get in the practice of saying ONE "nice " uplifting thing a day to your husband..something affirming adn encouraging..that 'validates" him and lets him know you 'approve" of him.Even if he fails at soemthing or it didnt turn out exaclty right say and BELIEVE you knwo he did his very best and you appreciate that so much..

Write it down if you have trouble saying it outloud if thats a scary thing..Deos it make YOU feel vulnerable to encourage him is that what it is?My husband is like you and it will slowly make him feel defeated adn useless..Im so delighted to see you can admit it and want to try and do better..

Dallas

Upvote 0

eyeswideopen4

May 18, 2012
✟15,150.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Wow, the fact that you recognize that you need to do something speaks volumes. It is the critical first step and you, my dear, are on your way.

I could have written your post two years ago. It's not an easy thing to admit. I still feel shameful when I thing of how I treated my husband instead of respecting him. It finally occurred to me that he’s not perfect, just as I am not perfect. But it also took some resources to help me. I realized a lot of what I was doing and how to make things in my life different had to do with my attitude. It’s so easy to say just change it, but I was where you are, please instruct me how. Then I came across a book that really helped me tremendously. I read myself on its pages and when I applied what the author was telling me I saw so much difference in myself and in my husband’s response to me. But I really think most of it was actually how I saw my husband’s response to me.

After almost twenty-six years of marriage the last two years have been the best we have ever had. I would marry my husband over and over again every day, and I kind of do because I recommit myself to him in everything I do in our relationship.

I’m new to the forum also, so I’m still not sure about every thing that’s permissible in a post and not sure about resource recommendations, but I could probably share them in a pm.

Upvote 0

makeitwork

Feb 23, 2012
✟15,461.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
thanks for sharing...the first way of healing is to admit openingly when your not doing something right.

the second is to forgive your husband short comings and yours. remember the devil condems us, basically paralyzes us so we don't move forward, while our LORD and SAVIOR corrects us because HE loves us. (((hugs)))

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dallasapple

Aug 13, 2006
✟13,920.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's a great start cuz it's taking literal practical steps towards making him feel good and helping you become less critical of him. :) Good thoughts Dallas!

Also I think the point is if somoen has a "deep fear" of something..then tryignto do it in baby steps each time gets les and less scary..Sort of like riding a bike..remember the first time you didnt jump on and ride..and it scared you ?Next thing you know your popping wheelies!!!

So its for her too..SHE will feel so much better KNOWING shes an uplifting and gracious person to her husband..it will be good for her too..set her free of the "shame" that shes in now ..Its all good all around..

((((HUGS))))

Dallas

Upvote 0

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It can wear a man down if his wife gives him constant criticism. The worse danger is that he'll actually believe the criticism if it is unfounded. Even if he is wrong, you can't keep a steady stream of it up. If you point out something he does wrong, do it respectfully,

In I Timothy 5, Paul tells Timothy not to rebuke an older man harshly, but to entreat him as a father. That could mean an elder, as in elder of the church, as well. Even though Timothy was in a position to appoint the bishops/elders in the church in that city, as a younger man, he still had to show respect to his elders. He couldn't rebuke. He had to entreat.

The Bible tells wifes to reverence/respect their husbands. If he's sinning, of course you point that out. You have to reprove the deeds of darkness, but with your husband, you need to entreat, not rebuke harshly. You shouldn't speak to him as you would to a child for example. Try to do it without a lot of negative emotion or finger-pointing. Don't repeat yourself a lot or stretch out the conversation too long. Keep in mind you point things out so that he can hear them, not for you to emotionally satisfy yourself by talking about them.

If a man's wife constantly finds fault and the only topic of conversation she has to talk about is "what's wrong with you", he can easily find good reasons to stay in the office and work on something or find some project that will take him away from his wife's mouth. He may shut down conversations and she may say, "Why don't you listen to me?" If her words are unprofitable and hurtful, and do more harm than good, why would he want to listen to what she has to say. That is why it is important to build him up. If his wife tears him down, it can hurt every area of his life. I worked for a while as an electrician's helper when I was younger. One of the helpers or apprentices worked with an electrician who found fault with everything he did. Maybe the kid was doing everything wrong anyway, but it seemed like the criticism made his work worse. It was like he felt like he couldn't do anything right, and it was a self-fulling prophecy. If a wife is always criticizing her husband, especially if he believes her, it can effect the quality of his work on the job, which will eventually effect his wife and the whole family, since it effects the finances of the whole family.

A man in this situation may look back fondly to the days of dating or early in marriage. Back then, his wife actually liked him. I have a relative whose wife can be a bit of a shrew at times. She was in a mood, and everyone was gathering around for a photo. He said to her right before the picture, "Pretend like you like me." That was pretty pitiful, but if a man's wife is always putting him down, he may wonder what happened to the kind, loving woman he married.

If a man's wife speaks kindly to him, praises him when he does something good, uses humility and tact when pointing out his flaws, and seeks to please him as her husband, then when he comes home, instead of finding his wife to be an emotional drain, she recharges him. Husbands and wives need to find ways to recharge each other.

I agree with what a lot of posters have said. Make an effort to think of good things you can say about your husband. You can think of those areas you mentioned where he has improved. Set yourself up for some accountability, too. This may require you to humble yourself, but have a serious talk with when where you admit to him that you have had a problem of saying hurtful things to him that tore him down, and how you want to change. Get input from him on the kinds of things you have been saying that have hurt him or that are just not right and appropriate. Then ask him to point it out if you start doing that again. When he does, try to react well, thank him, and stop doing it.

Cutting people down starts in the mind. The Bible talks about bringing every thought captive to the obedience of Christ. It can be easy to sit around thinking of flaws with your partner, but sometimes criticism aren't really justified. You shouldn't blame every bad thing that happens on your spouse. You may be tempted to assume he had motives he didn't have it things went wrong. Train yourself to be 'fair' in the way you think about your spouse. It also helps to spend some time giving thanks to God for good things about him.

Think about the children of Israel. God gave them manna, and they got tired of it and grumbled against the Lord. Now, this miraculous bread they didn't have to go out and plant. They just went out and it was there, and they complained about it. The Lord judged Israel over that.

We think how could Israel be like that, but if we complain about the blessings God gives us, are we any different? Isn't your husband a blessing from the Lord? It is good to be thankful for our spouse, and one way to helps us cultivate a thankful attitude is to speak out words of thanksgiving in our prayers to the Lord, and thank God for our spouse, and the good things about them.

Upvote 0
R

Romanseight2005

It can wear a man down if his wife gives him constant criticism. The worse danger is that he'll actually believe the criticism if it is unfounded. Even if he is wrong, you can't keep a steady stream of it up. If you point out something he does wrong, do it respectfully,

In I Timothy 5, Paul tells Timothy not to rebuke an older man harshly, but to entreat him as a father. That could mean an elder, as in elder of the church, as well. Even though Timothy was in a position to appoint the bishops/elders in the church in that city, as a younger man, he still had to show respect to his elders. He couldn't rebuke. He had to entreat.

The Bible tells wifes to reverence/respect their husbands. If he's sinning, of course you point that out. You have to reprove the deeds of darkness, but with your husband, you need to entreat, not rebuke harshly. You shouldn't speak to him as you would to a child for example. Try to do it without a lot of negative emotion or finger-pointing. Don't repeat yourself a lot or stretch out the conversation too long. Keep in mind you point things out so that he can hear them, not for you to emotionally satisfy yourself by talking about them.

If a man's wife constantly finds fault and the only topic of conversation she has to talk about is "what's wrong with you", he can easily find good reasons to stay in the office and work on something or find some project that will take him away from his wife's mouth. He may shut down conversations and she may say, "Why don't you listen to me?" If her words are unprofitable and hurtful, and do more harm than good, why would he want to listen to what she has to say. That is why it is important to build him up. If his wife tears him down, it can hurt every area of his life. I worked for a while as an electrician's helper when I was younger. One of the helpers or apprentices worked with an electrician who found fault with everything he did. Maybe the kid was doing everything wrong anyway, but it seemed like the criticism made his work worse. It was like he felt like he couldn't do anything right, and it was a self-fulling prophecy. If a wife is always criticizing her husband, especially if he believes her, it can effect the quality of his work on the job, which will eventually effect his wife and the whole family, since it effects the finances of the whole family.

A man in this situation may look back fondly to the days of dating or early in marriage. Back then, his wife actually liked him. I have a relative whose wife can be a bit of a shrew at times. She was in a mood, and everyone was gathering around for a photo. He said to her right before the picture, "Pretend like you like me." That was pretty pitiful, but if a man's wife is always putting him down, he may wonder what happened to the kind, loving woman he married.

If a man's wife speaks kindly to him, praises him when he does something good, uses humility and tact when pointing out his flaws, and seeks to please him as her husband, then when he comes home, instead of finding his wife to be an emotional drain, she recharges him. Husbands and wives need to find ways to recharge each other.

I agree with what a lot of posters have said. Make an effort to think of good things you can say about your husband. You can think of those areas you mentioned where he has improved. Set yourself up for some accountability, too. This may require you to humble yourself, but have a serious talk with when where you admit to him that you have had a problem of saying hurtful things to him that tore him down, and how you want to change. Get input from him on the kinds of things you have been saying that have hurt him or that are just not right and appropriate. Then ask him to point it out if you start doing that again. When he does, try to react well, thank him, and stop doing it.

Cutting people down starts in the mind. The Bible talks about bringing every thought captive to the obedience of Christ. It can be easy to sit around thinking of flaws with your partner, but sometimes criticism aren't really justified. You shouldn't blame every bad thing that happens on your spouse. You may be tempted to assume he had motives he didn't have it things went wrong. Train yourself to be 'fair' in the way you think about your spouse. It also helps to spend some time giving thanks to God for good things about him.

Think about the children of Israel. God gave them manna, and they got tired of it and grumbled against the Lord. Now, this miraculous bread they didn't have to go out and plant. They just went out and it was there, and they complained about it. The Lord judged Israel over that.

We think how could Israel be like that, but if we complain about the blessings God gives us, are we any different? Isn't your husband a blessing from the Lord? It is good to be thankful for our spouse, and one way to helps us cultivate a thankful attitude is to speak out words of thanksgiving in our prayers to the Lord, and thank God for our spouse, and the good things about them.

I wanted to comment on something. I agree that a wife should speak to her husband in a respectful manner, but when you said that Timothy shouldn't treat an older man harshly, and then, a wife shouldn't treat her husband as a child, it sounds like you are saying that it is okay to talk to a child harshly. That's where I take issue with your representation. Remember that a child shouldn't be provoked to wrath, which could and would likely happen if a man was harsh with him or her. It's actiually bizarre to me that one could think it was better to be harsh with one who is more fragile, than a man, yet one has to be gentle and treat the stronger one, as though he is fragile, you know?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tanys

Feb 24, 2012
✟15,194.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Thanks again for all the responses. A lot of your are essentially telling me things I already knew I should do but have been too stubborn to do. :/

He's away for the weekend, and I'm going to try to surprise him with something nice for when he gets home. Don't know what I'll do yet, but that's what Pinterest is for. :)

I especially appreciate your reponse, LinkH. It was good to get the male perspective on this.

Upvote 0

dallasapple

Aug 13, 2006
✟13,920.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Romans,

I didn't mean to imply that we should speak harshly to our children. What I was trying to say is that a wife should not talk down to her husband, or talk harshly to him.

I agree but its not a "wife'..its ANYONE..talkign down or harshly ..or constantly critisizing anyone wears them down..its not worse for men ..If anything its worse for children because they are forming their opinions of themselves..an adult is affected but they at least have choices and many other influences..including how they already felt about themselves to start out with ...

But being married to someone who shows constant "disproval" of you in words and actions over a wide array of areas the result at the very least is you start to beleive thats what they think about you ..and no one will flourish and thrive being married to someone who acts like they cant stand anything about them..You will become depressed and want to distance your self from them..Women /wives arent "better at' beign routinely harshly critisized and nit picked at and cut down than men are..

There is NOTHING about love if you look at 1Corintians 13 that speaks about being harsh abrutpt or critical ..its actually the other way around ..patient and kindess and slow to anger is part of LOVE..and all of us need love..Men women and children ..

Dallas

Upvote 0

dallasapple

Aug 13, 2006
✟13,920.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Also if you look at "do unto others as you would have them do unto you " there is no man or woman in that..its simple and straight..treat him ..how YOU WANT to be treated by HIM..

That rule doesnt change for husband and wives to he needs 'extra" consideration or different consideration ..on subjects such as critisisms or talking harshly nit picking or overall in general messages of disproval..if someone feels like (well not just a feeling if its actually the CASE) they can do nothing right accordign to their spouse..or if they do that doesnt get mentioned ONLY what you do wrong ?You become weary and tired ..feel defeated and want to just stop even trying..

Dallas

Upvote 0