Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
I'm asking for your prayers that I obtain the virtues of hope and courage, I really need them to over come my predominate vices, especially sloth and cowardice.

I'm glad that you posted, because I undertook a closer look at my own failures as a result.
And what I discovered is that if I concentrated on my failures, that was a circular trail around an impossible mountain.

But if instead I concentrated on God and on loving Him more fully, that would then lead to exercising those very virtues that you mention.

Love is not just a feeling, it is a feeling that demands both expression and action.
So in order to hope I must first go to the source of my hope and rejoice at the well of love and mercy that I find in Jesus Christ. It's when I recognize how deep and wide and generous is Christ's mercy for me that I can react with renewed hope in His promises for me.

And it is the hope and confidence in those promises that increases my faith, which in turn is acted out and expressed in increased courage. It's very much like the story of Peter when he saw Jesus walking on the water.
We see the progression in his thinking from fear and despair at his situation to recognition of Jesus and how Jesus is overcoming the very thing (water, waves, uncertanty) that terrify Peter.

The lesson in that passage is two-fold;
1. recognize Jesus
2. don't stop to look around at what terrifies you, but expect a promised outcome from your faith.

When we contrast this passage with Peter's actions after Christ's assent, we can see what a difference Peter's love for Jesus and his faith in God have made.

and that's the same answer we need in our own lives; to let our love and our faith take root and take wings.

Upvote 0