• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

I need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbyjames

May 18, 2005
✟112.00
Faith
Christian
I don't know what to say, I've never had a problem going to my community for help. My church has always been there for me, my friends, my family. I attended services every Sunday for as long as I can remember before leaving for college, participated in community events and fund raisers. I led my small town varsity football team to championship as quarterback two years ago. None of this seems to matter now.

Six months ago, I returned home from college to see my friends and family, and most importantly, my girlfriend of five years. Our relationship has been rough since I left. She is worried that being away is causing me to lose interest in her. After trying to be intimate, I had to confess. I told her I wanted to be together, and take our relationship further, but I had a problem and I needed help.

I've had homosexual urges since I started taking football serious at 15. Every breathing moment since then I've been trying to ignore the thoughts in my head. I quit the college football team to avoid being around other men, which, at the time was very difficult to "explain" to my parents.

I confessed to her that I had been with another man.

After laying it out, I could tell looking into her eyes that it was a mistake. We have not spoken since then. Apparently she told her family about it, who in turn, spread the word throughout my church and community. When I made the trip home during spring break, I found myself in a very hostile environment. It was made clear that I was not welcome at the church I had attended for so many years. None of my old friends would speak to me. My family was pretty quiet the whole time I was there. I was able to speak with my pasteur before leaving. He told me I should seek help from the lord, and to see if any of the local churches near my college offered sexual reorientation groups.

To be honest, the experience left me very upset. I felt like everybody had turned their back on me. I was so upset that I didn't want to do anything about the problem. Who cares if I am gay, so what? Now that a few months have passed, I've come to my senses. I called my parents the other day to arrange coming home for the summer. I figured maybe I could seek help back home and have an easier time getting through the whole thing. They said maybe I should consider getting a job in the city and supporting myself.

I stumbled into this place while searching the internet for a place to speak with fellow Christians, and I noticed this section for struggles with sexuality. What advice, if any, do you have? Has anybody here participated in one of these reorientation groups? Would I be welcomed and treated like a human, or like I have some sort of disease? I want to get past this problem. It has cost me a great girl, and the support of my family and friends. At this point though, I feel like even god does not love me.

Sam Gamgee

Jan 17, 2005
New Hampshire, United States
Visit site
✟17,350.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
bobbyjames said:
I don't know what to say, I've never had a problem going to my community for help. My church has always been there for me, my friends, my family. I attended services every Sunday for as long as I can remember before leaving for college, participated in community events and fund raisers. I led my small town varsity football team to championship as quarterback two years ago. None of this seems to matter now.

Six months ago, I returned home from college to see my friends and family, and most importantly, my girlfriend of five years. Our relationship has been rough since I left. She is worried that being away is causing me to lose interest in her. After trying to be intimate, I had to confess. I told her I wanted to be together, and take our relationship further, but I had a problem and I needed help.

I've had homosexual urges since I started taking football serious at 15. Every breathing moment since then I've been trying to ignore the thoughts in my head. I quit the college football team to avoid being around other men, which, at the time was very difficult to "explain" to my parents.

After laying it out, I could tell looking into her eyes that it was a mistake. We have not spoken since then. Apparently she told her family about it, who in turn, spread the word throughout my church and community. When I made the trip home during spring break, I found myself in a very hostile environment. It was made clear that I was not welcome at the church I had attended for so many years. None of my old friends would speak to me. My family was pretty quiet the whole time I was there. I was able to speak with my pasteur before leaving. He told me I should seek help from the lord, and to see if any of the local churches near my college offered sexual reorientation groups.

To be honest, the experience left me very upset. I felt like everybody had turned their back on me. I was so upset that I didn't want to do anything about the problem. Who cares if I am gay, so what? Now that a few months have passed, I've come to my senses. I called my parents the other day to arrange coming home for the summer. I figured maybe I could seek help back home and have an easier time getting through the whole thing. They said maybe I should consider getting a job in the city and supporting myself.

I stumbled into this place while searching the internet for a place to speak with fellow Christians, and I noticed this section for struggles with sexuality. What advice, if any, do you have? Has anybody here participated in one of these reorientation groups? Would I be welcomed and treated like a human, or like I have some sort of disease? I want to get past this problem. It has cost me a great girl, and the support of my family and friends. At this point though, I feel like even god does not love me.

I've been where you are. I've sat across from my girlfriend and tried to be the good boyfriend. I've struggled with EXACTLY what you are struggling through.

Believe me, being honest is NEVER EVER a mistake.

And, it will get better. If you want a path with Christ, you can find one... gay or not.

Also, always remember that when mere people turn their backs on you, God will ALWAYS be there for you.

My heart and shoulder goes out to you. If you need some help from someone who's made it through the rain, and has found a way to be a gay Christian, shoot me a PM.

Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟97,021.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
You need to talk through several issues with a wise, understanding person. You must become reconciled to who you are,and take some steps to find out how deep seated your sexual orientation is, the be honest with God, yourself and your friends. You may eventually need to find another church.

There is a thoughful article on the pastoral care of homosexual people on the Christian magazine website - The Third Way. I think you click on The Way Back then on articles.

John
NZ

Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
bobbyjames said:

Hey Dude: I don't have a magical answer for you, But I do know for sure, that you did not leave your family and friends, they left you. They need Gods forgivness, more than you do. I can only say to hang in there. I wish I did not feel so ineffectual and void of a real answer. But I do know that many walk as you do. Don't beat up on yourself and DO NOT blame yourself for your what your friends or parents did. I hope that you wil come full circle and maybe they will at some point mature and you can forgive them

Upvote 0

Jesuslovesdabears

Apr 13, 2005
Wisconsin
✟298.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I will pray for you to find peace, I hope you find happiness again.
Try and pray and ask god what he thinks you should do, Gay or not your stil a god person, but are you ok with being gay??
Do you think gods ok with it, sometimes we are just a little lost and need to find our way back, dont just concede to the fact you like other men.
Walter

Upvote 0

swimmer45

Sep 23, 2004
illinois
✟211.00
Faith
Non-Denom
bobby james,
i know this area is difficult for so many to talk about, i think it is the one topic of importance to the church at this time, i think that if homosexuality was to be so acceptable then it would have been talked about more positive in the bible. the only time is discussed is in negative terms, so there was homosexuals even in old and new testament times. if not for being that it was wrong, i would not have sought the grace of god for so long to help overcome in this area. i am still weak my friend, but god's grace will see me through and you too. i never did understand to know why i felt attracted to guys my age in the first place as a college student, some unmeet need. that was not fulfilled properly i suppose. i am not here to argue anything, but i know this..god has helped me heal in this area as i began to understand and experience his fathering love, to know i am accepted no matter what, he loves me. i will continue to write more if you need someone to talk to.

Upvote 0

madison1101

Senior Veteran
Sep 17, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟5,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
How awful for you. Please, feel free to PM me any time you need a shoulder to cry on.

My youngest is bisexual. I suspected it before he "came out" to me. I told him I loved him just the same. I never thought to do anything but love him. He is my son. Nothing he does will change my love for him.

I am appalled that your pastor gave you the advice he did.

Please, find a good therapist to talk to. Also, find a good church that will provide you with a loving person in whom you can develop a mentoring relationship about scriptures, or a good Bible study. You need spiritual feeding and fellowship, with loving Christians who are going to help you grow in the Lord.

The Lord, through the power of the Holy Spirit, will guide you and give you what you need to understand what His word says about who you are in Christ, and how you are to live your life. People are fallible and will give you false guidance and confuse you. They will hurt you and reject you. The Lord will do only the loving guidance. He will never leave you nor forsake you. Trust in Him. Search His word.

A good Bible Study that may help you is called "Breaking Free" it is by Beth Moore. It is about spiritual strongholds. I do not know if it is applicable. Only you can decide if you have a stronghold or not. Just a suggestion.

Hugs,
Madison-Trish

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.