La La Land
✟9,778.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What kind of artwork and antiques do you have? Rembrandt paintings? :D
Oh, don't I wish I could afford a Rembrandt painting. :D
The only paintings I own are the ones I've done myself.

Most of the antique/vintage things I own are household items, like furniture, wall sconces, a candleabra, books. The oldest book I own is the complete poetical works of Percy Bysshe Shelley, 1901. I like to go to flea markets and thrift stores and see what I can find to add to my collection.

Upvote 0

Epoh99

Veteran
Oct 28, 2005
✟9,683.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i love to design purses and bags, clothing, and rooms.

The only paintings I own are the ones I've done myself.

Most of the antique/vintage things I own are household items, like furniture, wall sconces, a candleabra, books. The oldest book I own is the complete poetical works of Percy Bysshe Shelley, 1901. I like to go to flea markets and thrift stores and see what I can find to add to my collection.

I always thought it would be neat to be able to do artistic things such as designing and painting. I'm very musically inclined but can't draw or be very creative to save my life.

I wish we had good flea markets and thrift stores here. I don't even bother going, it's all junk. I especially like looking at old books, I know, big shocker there. :p

... That's one reason I got an African Grey; they're usually pretty quiet. It's very rare for her to be "squawking loud" like most birds. She pretty much just hangs out, talks, whistles, and makes other sounds.

Note to self, if something happens to parent's birds recommend a QUIET African Grey.

I thought you were trying to cheer up?
lol...I like those things too!
^_^ This made me laugh out loud. I know, dreary weather usually depresses people but for me the sunny hot dry weather I'm in for 8 months of the year depresses me. Give me clouds and rain any day!

Did you move? Did I miss news? When do you get your books back?
..... I want to catalog them all because we often forget what we have and buy a duplicate (which turns into someone's Christmas gift that year :D)....

We've been renting 2 tiny rooms for over a year now from my parents. 99% of my books are in storage. It was supposed to be a couple of months; our apt lease was up and we had found a house we were going to get--we have a pretty specific area we want to get a house in. So until we moved we were going to rent from my parents. Well the realtor said, oh, sorry, someone else already got your house. :mad: We decided to pay off our truck while we were looking and now the truck is paid off and we still, a year later, haven't found anything. This weekend we drove by 3 houses we're interested in and are waiting to hear back from the realtors (not the lady who was originally helping us).

But, as stir-crazy as I'm going in two small rooms the prospect of finding a place and moving is making me a little anxious. Normally I would be in full-blow anxiety but I'm doing MUCH better so it's only bothering me a little.

As for your books, I have done the same thing; bought books only to realize I already had them. Luckily I have two friends in other states that are also book lovers so I just mail them a spontaneous "gift" when that happens. ;)

I have an African Grey called Tommy. He lives at my parents because he attacked my husband when I was still at home. Tommy sees me as his so when me and DH started dating it didn't go down very well. He is the sweetest bird but he does have jealous side...

Animals are amazing, they really are. They are so smart! I loved your story about Tommy.

Our books are organised in alphabetical order or by genre. The fiction and the classical texts (in the study, for my husband's work) are in alphabetical order, the rest is by genre. My cookbooks are organized by size because some of them are huge and only fit on the bottom shelf (I wish publishers would take people's bookshelf sizes more into account - some books are really too big to fit anywhere).

I hear you about the large books. I always have to keep my forensics books on the bottom shelf because they are typically large and/or shaped strangely (really long and short, large and thick, whatever, they're not "normal" size books).

I was at Ikea and they have little signs you can get for your bookshelves to categorize (like inspirational, self-help, cooking, photograpy, and so on) your books. They also have a cute ladder that hooks to the bookshelves and rolls along them. I thought it was the cutest thing!

Upvote 0

Rebekka

meow meow meow meow meow meow
Oct 25, 2006
✟34,375.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
My dad, who is as crazy about books as I am, actually has made a catalogue of his books, because he kept buying books he already owned. It's a lot of work (he has a lot of books) but it's very handy. He has written all his books in alphabetical order (by author) in a booklet that he carries everywhere.

My husband should do the same, and has started it, but doesn't keep up with his catalogue. That's why he often buys things he already owns, as well. They're usually classics (text & commentary of Latin or Greek literature) or chess books, and he gives them away to his students at uni or to his chess friends.

Upvote 0

Oblivious

Matthew 7:12
Nov 6, 2003
The Mile High City
✟31,244.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Nice car! That'd sure make me happy! :D

Thanks for the nice compliment and yes, it does make me happy to drive it. :thumbsup:

I have an African Grey called Tommy. He lives at my parents because he attacked my husband when I was still at home. Tommy sees me as his so when me and DH started dating it didn't go down very well. He is the sweetest bird but he does have jealous side.

We also decided to leave him with my parents because they have 8 other parrots so he would have been lonely going to live by himself. For my mum her parrots are her other children. She has adopted many of them (I got in on the act and adopted Tommy). So many people don't realise the commitment parrots are.w.

My Quaker parakeet (who died over a year ago :( ) was the same way with my DH - he hated him and was very jealous when we'd spend time together. My African Grey loves my husband, but that's because she's always been around both of us.

I agree that people don't realize the responsibility and life span of these birds, and it's truly a shame that a lot of them become unwanted. :(

Upvote 0

bluebug83

Jan 5, 2007
✟8,336.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1. God
2. My husband
3. My family (parents and in-laws who get along great, we're kind of like one big family!)
4. My Golden Retriever
5. Sense of creativity and ability to make things
6. Job, that may not be the most exciting thing in the world but it pays well, is stable, and the people are wonderful

Amélie Unbound;45552986 said:
And maps! I have a thing for maps.

No way! I'm not the only crazy one...me too! I could literally spend hours on Google Maps, or with an atlas, and not cease to be entertained. I got a GPS receiver for my car for Christmas and it's awesome!

Oblivious, that reminds me of my husband and his love for his car. It's a 1990 Ford Mustang convertible with a quarter million miles on it. It's an old piece of junk that isn't worth squat, but he has a sentimental attachment to it so we're about to dump more money in to fixing it this spring than the thing is worth. Oh well, I figure we're all entitled to one unreasonable thing to splurge on in our lives...

Upvote 0

RunnerGirl

Feb 23, 2007
Northern California
✟7,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How did I miss this thread! I love my books... the smell of new books, the character of antique books. Books, yay. :p

I also love my bird (a budgie - my "nephew" at the moment is a quaker parrot - so surprised to see so many bird lovers here!). I'd put quiet morning moments snuggling with hubby, and shoes on the list too. ;)

it's funny, my husband doesn't understand the english "version" of the word "love"... he's from a tribal culture and in his native language the word "love" only refers to love of people and God... he always looks at me funny when I refer to "loving" THINGS (as in - OOO! Oreos! I LOOOOOVE oreos!!!) ^_^

Upvote 0

Mskedi

Senior Veteran
Dec 13, 2005
✟21,800.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Oooh... books.

Should I list my husband or my books first???? :p

Okay:
God
Husband
Books (but man that's close)

Honestly, I feel blessed with everything I have -- and I'm mostly talking about my relationships here. I have a great family (extended, in-laws, everyone), great students (sometimes they can be trying, but I love them), a great living situation, wonderful colleagues and classmates... I may just be the luckiest person in the world. :o

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Epoh99

Veteran
Oct 28, 2005
✟9,683.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
...my four dogs Henry, Lucy, Sabrina and Gwee.

We love pets...tell us more. :) Stuff like what kind of dogs they are, how old they are, etc.

Oooh... books

Should I list my husband or my books first????

^_^

....I may just be the luckiest person in the world.

That is so nice to hear. I'm working on being more grateful for what and who I have so this was encouraging to hear.

Upvote 0

Xinnamon

Contributor
Nov 12, 2004
✟16,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God, my husband, my family (parents and baby sister.. my mom and sis are coming to visit me in 2 months! yay!), books (I tend to read more novels in my native language, and more non-fiction in English), and traveling.

I also like reading travel guidebooks (combining 2 of my favorite activities: reading and traveling:)), learning about the cultures of different countries, and fantasizing about visiting them someday.

Upvote 0