Stockholm
✟7,786.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
18 years ago I lost my mother to suicide. She became ill, mentally, and in the end she gave up. Every since then I have been wondering and restlessly searching for answers - is she safe now? Is she with God? She was Christian, she raised me as such and she loved God. So she should be with God now, right? I can't stand the thought that she might still be suffering.

Please, share some thoughts of comfort? Thank you.

RC1970

post tenebras lux
Jul 7, 2015
✟80,684.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
18 years ago I lost my mother to suicide. She became ill, mentally, and in the end she gave up. Every since then I have been wondering and restlessly searching for answers - is she safe now? Is she with God? She was Christian, she raised me as such and she loved God. So she should be with God now, right? I can't stand the thought that she might still be suffering.

What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things? Who shall bring any charge against God's elect? It is God who justifies. Who is to condemn? Christ Jesus is the one who died—more than that, who was raised—who is at the right hand of God, who indeed is interceding for us. Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword? As it is written,

“For your sake we are being killed all the day long;
we are regarded as sheep to be slaughtered.”

No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Romans 8:31-39

Welcome to CF. :wave:

Upvote 0

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟403,021.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Sorry to hear that! I can relate as my father also took his own life.

Some people will say very strongly one way or the other. However, I think this is something best understood through faith as opposed to reason; confidently trusting that God will judge everyone in accordance with His profound loving-kindness, righteousness and mercy. It's good to live in hope, but for the sake of consolation and peace, it's better to commit all things to God and know that God works all things for good.

Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

Bee_in_the_Light

Site Supporter
Nov 30, 2017
Häme
✟64,811.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I don't think you would be having these doubts, if she had died of cancer?

Which ever mental illness she was suffering from, was the cause of her death.

To stress the point: you lost her to mental illness, not suicide.

• Winner
Reactions: Sarah G
Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Welcome to the forums, walkwithme from wonderful Sweden, and may God bless your time here. We simply do not know the answer to your question. However, many Christians today, perhaps even a majority, believe that most suicide victims are suffering from mental illness and that therefore such lessens their culpability when they take their own life, thus allowing them to still have a chance to go to Heaven. I am one of those who feels this way. Still, we simply do not know. We should entrust them to God's mercy and hope for the best.

Yet, there is still one more thing that should be mentioned. This Protestant disagrees very strongly with classic Protestant theology when it comes to praying for the dead. The practice goes back to the earliest days of the Church. Catholics, Eastern Orthodox and Oriental Orthodox strongly support said prayers. Even Luther conceded that its was acceptable to pray once or twice for deceased loved ones. My personal view is why stop at once or twice? Why not three times or four or five, etc.? Do prayers for the dead help them at all and if so, how and to what extent? I do not know. However, said prayers certainly cannot harm them in any way and there is always a chance that they might help. Look at it this way. God exists outside of time and space as we now it. Hence, it is possible that our prayers after someone is dead can somehow be used retroactively to give them a last chance to repent as they are dying, as God certainly knows when they are dying that future prayers are coming for the person. Remember, the Bible says that with God, all things are possible. If nothing else, praying for deceased loved ones no doubt helps to brings some peace to the one praying. I would encourage you to pray for your mother, for as long as you feel comfortable doing so. There is absolutely nothing in Scripture that forbids us from praying for the dead. It is unfortunate that the Catholic doctrine of indulgences is what probably stopped most Protestants from engaging in said prayers, at the time of the Reformation, and said reluctance continues to this day. However..... there are a few exceptions to the rule and I am one of them. Peace be with you and I will say a prayer for your mother tonight.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Welcome brand new member, first time poster, and thanks for
sharing your problems with us.

Your mother remains in your memory and her
relationship with God is completely confidential.
There is no person on earth who can know her
condition after death.

My brother also killed himself.

• Friendly
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Celticroots

Jun 2, 2012
✟72,590.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Like others have said none of us know for sure. But God knew she had an illness at the time of her death, and of the despair she must have felt. I think He also knows that mental illness is not a black- and- white issue like some believe. Sometimes some treatments won’t work for people or they may help for a while then stop helping. That’s not the individual’s fault. And in some countries it can be difficult to get help for mental illnesses, also outside someone’s control. God knows that too.

“Forgive them, Lord. They know not what they do.” He knew she wasn’t thinking clearly and how mental illness can twist one’s mind.

It’s my personal belief that Christians who commit suicide go to Heaven. God said nothing can snatch them out of His hand. Including mental illness. That is not to say that if a person isn’t a Christian they’re automatically doomed to Hell. I will explain below.

I lost someone to suicide as well. She was not a Christian in life, but I don’t know what thoughts went through her head in those final moments. She could’ve repented of her sins and asked Christ to save her. ( I think that can apply to anyone.) I think it was like the theif on the cross; he asked Jesus to save Him and He did. He won’t turn away those who genuinely ask. That belief has given me some comfort.

I hope this post comforts you too. I am very sorry for your loss. Have you gotten professional help to cope with this?

Upvote 0

walkwithme

Dec 20, 2017
Stockholm
✟7,786.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Oh wow, you guys.. Thank you! So many wonderfully thought out answers, and you took the time! I read every single one and I feel a bit stronger again. Christmas is always hard, even though I love christmas and have many wonderful memories.

I am fine, gotten professional help (someone asked) and I do pray for my mother! And light candles for her in church. But it will never be over.

I often think that she is either with God, or will be when the time comes. But then I’ll see something on TV or read something. And I start to worry about what sin is and what is eternal punishment. But then again, that would be so cruel and not at all what I feel in my heart when I feel close to God. And then I wonder, and worry. And I don’t even really believe in hell, as a lake of fire or whatever. I believe hell is away from God and away from God is death. And death is fine, compared to eternal punishment. Neverending punishment. But I could be wrong of course. And then I get tangled up in my thoughts.

Sorry for the rant, I’m so thankful for all of you who gave of your time to write to me - bless you all.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Celticroots

Jun 2, 2012
✟72,590.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am glad these were of some comfort to you. I am also glad you got professional help. And I agree with you. It never is over. It's been what…five years? since I lost a loved one to suicide. Sometimes, I do well then I see something that reminds me of them, or have a dream, hear a song and it reminds me of them all over again and I'll cry.

I firmly believe God knew that your mother was not in her right mind and, as someone else said, knows how crushing mental illness is.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My Father was murdered in an home invasion. My Uncle Joe was murdered by an angry neighbor. My Brother Dennis was murder by a drunk driver. My Sister was killed in a drive by shooting in Detroit.

God expects us to forgive. A book that helped me was call Father Loss by Neil ????????

Upvote 0