Extirpated Wildlife

Wanted: Room to Roam
Oct 3, 2002
Fort Worth
Visit site
✟17,091.00
Faith
Protestant
Whats with the KJV lovers. Do you still pray with "Thee's" and "Thou's"? This is the 21st Century folks! People have not talked that way for a LLLLLOOONNNGG time.

If you translate the Bible into a different languages, do you make sure the words "Thee" and "Thou art" is still in it? Or is the KJV so sacred that the other countries must learn, not modern day english, but 17th century english? "If they can't learn 17th Century English, then they must go to :mad: "

shout2thelord

adopted aussie :)
Oct 11, 2002
crewe, england
Visit site
✟2,215.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Originally posted by quizzler
Or is the KJV so sacred that the other countries must learn, not modern day english, but 17th century english? "If they can't learn 17th Century English, then they must go to :mad: "

lol @ quizzler :D :D :D :D

Upvote 0

JagSayon

Jun 16, 2002
✟823.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Based on your :mad: tone, you just might get blasted for it. :) My good man, I don't pray with Thee and Thou unless I'm saying the Lord's Prayer. And if you do translate it, you can't put the thees and thous in because I feel its only possible in the English Language. So called 17th century language in the KJV is because, it was translated DURING the time of King James, who happened to be in the 17th century (correct me if I'm wrong) and who happened to use such language. Its not because they don't use modern languages but because at that time, the language was as such and when the KJV travels through the centuries, that unique language is passed down. :)

Jag

Upvote 0

GraftMeIn

The Masters Gardener
May 15, 2002
Visit site
✟6,403.00
 :( The KJV and the ASV are the only two versions of the bible that I know of that don't hold a copyright. The only two versions that you don't need to get permission from someone other than God to use when writing something and want to use scripture to back up what you say without having to display a copyright along with it.

I'm not saying that other versions are wrong, just giving one of the reasons I like to use the KJV.

Just think if it wasn't for the KJV, we most likely wouldn't have the other versions that are out there today. Why be offended by it, or by those who wish to use it?

Do you think God realy intended for others to slap a copyright in their name on His Word? Or do you think He intended it to be shared freely with others?

Upvote 0

JesusServant

do not stray too far left nor right but CENTER
Dec 5, 2002
✟19,768.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Originally posted by GraftMeIn
 :( The KJV and the ASV are the only two versions of the bible that I know of that don't hold a copyright. The only two versions that you don't need to get permission from someone other than God to use when writing something and want to use scripture to back up what you say without having to display a copyright along with it. 

Good point here.  Even though, IMO, the most accurate translation to date is the NASB, someone is making money on it, and that bothers me.  If you want to get rid of the old style english but like the KJV, try the NKJV :)

Upvote 0

dignitized

Aug 5, 2005
✟29,618.00
quizzler: the King James is written in High English :) with great formality. I happen to like that in scripture. I do however prefer the Douay-Rhemes Translation to the KJV. My Ideal bible would be a parallel version with JKV, DR, and AMP in it. Sadly I have yet to find it.

I agree that to say the KJV ONLY should be used is just plain silly doctrine especially with the translastion errors the KJV has. Oh well.

Upvote 0

Extirpated Wildlife

Wanted: Room to Roam
Oct 3, 2002
Fort Worth
Visit site
✟17,091.00
Faith
Protestant
I just find it odd that people want to carry the flag for KJV, when it is a translation. Translation for the people back in 17th century.

Now people who like its poetic language don't bother me. It does have a something special about it.

But for those who get caught up in KJV ONLY, you've missed the point. Modern Teenagers don't understand KJV. The can understand NIV. It is our language. It flows. It doesnt make you read as slow as molasses. KJV does.

I like the NASB. My favorite. But for just reading, i pick up the NIV. Its just my preference.

But i am not stuck on a version, because Versions are basically created so that your ***TARGET AUDIENCE*** can understand it and read it.

In America, Your target audience doesn't care about reading 17th Century English. They want something they can read in their modern language.

And for me personally. I dont care if people are making money off the Bible versions. That's not why i buy my version.

I think its the religious people who get caught up into translations. The Lost people don't care what version you read. The versions not making or breaking a person's decision on salvation.

Upvote 0

dignitized

Aug 5, 2005
✟29,618.00
quizzler: um, I was a modern teenager not to long ago and I understood it just fine, as do most of my students. I take the time and have taught them that if you don't know or are unsure of what a word means for petes sake LOOK IT UP!! :D There are better and the are worse translations out there. I'll never advise anyone not to get a KJV or to get it. I WOULD advise against getting the GOOD NEWS bible or the NEW WORLD translation both are ABSOLUTE rubbish!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.