I just concluded a 45-day jail term for trying to talk women out of abortion...

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,676,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What does it mean for pro-lifers to be in jail? In this Culture of Death—in the morally upside-down world, jailed pro-lifers have placed themselves on the side of an unwanted, outcast people.

The author of this article is a convicted criminal. I was lured into a “life of crime” beginning in 1978 by someone who himself was once charged with federal racketeering. I have been called by judges “a dangerous person from whom society needs to be protected,” a “recidivist,” and, most recently, by the Attorney General of New York, even a “terrorist.” I have spent time in jail for my “crimes.”

Just last month I concluded a 45-day jail term at the Oakland County Jail in Pontiac, Michigan, out of which I served thirty-four days. On March 31st, I was booked into cellblock F1. One of the first things I wanted to do, which is the case with most inmates, was make “contact” with the “outside world.” So, I took a seat in a line of chairs to make a phone call on one of four phones available for sixty-four prisoners.

“Fresh” prisoners usually attract attention, and I was no exception—except for the kind of scrutiny to which I was “subjected.” A black, heavyset inmate came up to me accompanied by two others and said: “You just don’t look like someone who gets into much trouble. Whatcha in here for anyway?”

Continued below.