Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Despite my "liberal" tendencies I am a fan of the older style Masses. I love simple organ played traditional hymns. There is a beauty way beyond modern musical ministry. And I actually have nostalgia for the kneeling at the front rail to receive communion. It was a privilege to attend such Masses. I feel sorry for people who haven't experienced them.

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟827,333.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Despite my "liberal" tendencies I am a fan of the older style Masses. I love simple organ played traditional hymns. There is a beauty way beyond modern musical ministry. And I actually have nostalgia for the kneeling at the front rail to receive communion. It was a privilege to attend such Masses. I feel sorry for people who haven't experienced them.
There are many ways to worship God and He looks on the heart when we worship. I have a Pentecostal background but I also love the traditional hymns. It is a pity that many groups have turned away from them and the message that they bring.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
There are many ways to worship God and He looks on the heart when we worship. I have a Pentecostal background but I also love the traditional hymns. It is a pity that many groups have turned away from them and the message that they bring.
Music at Mass is important for me. It can set a very reverent, mystical tone and becomes much easier to focus on worship. Some modern music groups at Mass I find distasteful and brings the focus on them instead of God.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟827,333.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Music at Mass is important for me. It can set a very reverent, mystical tone and becomes much easier to focus on worship. Some modern music groups at Mass I find distasteful and brings the focus on them instead of God.
I agree. Many of the modern Charismatic songs do the same. They shift the emphasis of worship away from God and Christ, to what the person is sensing and feeling. Instead of singing, "O for a thousand tongues to sing my great Redeemer's praise", they are singing, "I feel so wonderful as I worship you" or similar. It seems that the modern songs are trying to bring on some emotional feeling, and I am sure that "worship times" in churches are just to hype people up to create some sort of atmosphere, when in reality, because folks are filled with the Spirit, they bring the atmosphere in with them. In fact, Spirit-filled folk in church are the atmosphere, whether it is in a Pentecostal service or a Catholic Mass.

Upvote 0

JesusLovesOurLady

Slave of the Handmaid of the Lord
Feb 15, 2017
Roman Catholic Diocese of Nelson
✟6,780.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
@bettercallpaul On a natural level, -I'm sure you know quite well, what of the Traditional Catholic liturgy, appeals to me on a supernatural level, so I won't lecture you on that.- one of the things I really like about traditional liturgical music is that it's organic. The use of guitars and drums gives the mass a mechanical quality. Society in general also has this overly mechanical, un-organic quality to it.

That's one the reasons why I believe that devotion to Our Lady is so important in this day and age. Our Lady points to the importance of the organic and feminine, in contrast with this age's mechanical and hyper-masculine feel. I find it particularly interesting, that in Our Lady's apparition at Fatima, only the girls could hear Our Lady speak. St. Francisco, the boy, couldn't hear Our Lady, and had to have the message relied to him from the girls.

Last edited:
Reactions: tadoflamb
Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I am curious, what are those liberal tendencies?
Are you just the same as conservatives, or are you really different?
Well maybe I should choose my words carefully eh.. :)
I question absolutes such as abortion in every single case. The idea of female priests doesn't really bother me to be honest but I wont be promoting it. And I think if homosexuality is so wrong, then there a lot of people not going to Heaven.
Is that a shocking enough post for this sub-forum? :)

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Well maybe I should choose my words carefully eh.. :)
I question absolutes such as abortion in every single case. The idea of female priests doesn't really bother me to be honest but I wont be promoting it. And I think if homosexuality is so wrong, then there a lot of people not going to Heaven.
Is that a shocking enough post for this sub-forum? :)

A lot of people are not going to heaven
Most people are not going to heaven
Most Christians are not going to heaven

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums