Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I’m an almost 72-year-old baby boomer Christian that considers myself an evangelist, meaning I look for all opportunities to share Christ.

I still work two days a week at a university. One of the hats I wear says “Walk with Jesus”. Now this has been problematic especially at a university, however they tolerate me if I don’t start preaching in class. This will be my last year there.

No matter where I go, I wear something that boldly says I’m a Christian. The church I attend has a congregation of about thirty-two hundred. Only one other person I know in our congregation openly witnesses in the same manner I do.

My question is this. Why are Christian today afraid to share their faith? Why aren’t they boldly going out as the disciples did and sharing Christ? One person told me “some people are afraid to”. The person that said that was really saying “I’m afraid to.” What on earth are they afraid of?

The disciples put their lives on the line to witness for Christ, many early Christians were martyred for their faith. Jesus Christ came to earth and was crucified for us.

Here in America we are supposed to have religious freedom, but I cannot share my beliefs on a college campus. Why is that? We are considered the silent majority, that is a bunch of bull, we have become the silent minority out of fear of criticism of our beliefs.

I have lived through and area where we had prayer in school, to where we have kicked Christ out of our educational systems, that is disgusting to me.

Why aren’t you boldly witnessing for Christ, and demanding our constitutional rights?

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
My question is this. Why are Christian today afraid to share their faith?
(just read up to the question, btw).

They seem cowed (the ones who are afraid). Could be any of several possible or many possible reasons.... When a child is not brought up the way he should go, he doesn't know what to do - unless and until a disciple disciples him, which is very difficult and time consuming and necessary for all disciples....

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Why aren’t you boldly witnessing for Christ, and demanding our constitutional rights?
Went back up the page, and ran into this question before reading the in between part from the first question to this one.

I'm not sure of the connection if any between boldly testifying as the Father gives utterance,
vs
"demanding constitutional rights" ......

I have not seen this accomplished in any church or so-called Christian leader either.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I have lived through and area where we had prayer in school, to where we have kicked Christ out of our educational systems, that is disgusting to me.
This happened decades ago-
and the results were seen within months (of taking prayer out of schools, for example).
Since the educational system is like Egypt or Persia,

not like God's people, Israel, at any time, I'm not sure what you think should be expected ?

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I’m an almost 72-year-old baby boomer Christian that considers myself an evangelist, meaning I look for all opportunities to share Christ.

I still work two days a week at a university. One of the hats I wear says “Walk with Jesus”. Now this has been problematic especially at a university, however they tolerate me if I don’t start preaching in class. This will be my last year there.

No matter where I go, I wear something that boldly says I’m a Christian. The church I attend has a congregation of about thirty-two hundred. Only one other person I know in our congregation openly witnesses in the same manner I do.

My question is this. Why are Christian today afraid to share their faith? Why aren’t they boldly going out as the disciples did and sharing Christ? One person told me “some people are afraid to”. The person that said that was really saying “I’m afraid to.” What on earth are they afraid of?

The disciples put their lives on the line to witness for Christ, many early Christians were martyred for their faith. Jesus Christ came to earth and was crucified for us.

Here in America we are supposed to have religious freedom, but I cannot share my beliefs on a college campus. Why is that? We are considered the silent majority, that is a bunch of bull, we have become the silent minority out of fear of criticism of our beliefs.

A widely respected pastor I hear at times on the radio gave an account a year or 2 ago I thought useful to help explain one thing (not all, but one thing) -- something happened in traffic as he was driving, and he returned in some manner the rudeness or failed to do what's best, failed to do Matthew 7:12 basically.

He said that in that moment he was sincerely glad he did not have a bumper sticker on his car saying he was Christian, because in that moment he would have been (I'm paraphrasing from memory here) failing to show Christ in his actions.

A bumper sticker in that moment would have been harmful, as he failed to do Christian action at that moment.

But if you really are showing Love to other people --- then a cap, of all things, perhaps is the one of the most practical symbols you could use I think in that regard, because if you suddenly trip up like this pastor did, then you could take off the cap and put it in your pocket, as to symbolically signal you didn't show Christ in that moment, and not be a witness against Him. So, I like the idea of a cap!

And we should pray the daily prayer Christ said to us to pray in Matthew 6 NIV so that we do well!

Of course, the way many of us will best share the gospel will be, for many of us (not all!) a one-to-one sharing with one individual at a time, often someone we are already on friendly terms with. This makes a lot of sense of course. Not are all going to be called to be a full time Evangelist of course like Billy Graham or Paul. But we can indeed share at times, and we all should be ready for those opportunities.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
College campuses have become bastions of liberal intolerance, but even if they were not so, I personally wouldn't go around with a hat that says "Walk with Jesus" because it's makes you look like a fanatic to even moderate people and also suggests to some people that your knowledge of the faith is no more than that slogan suggests...in other words, impassioned but skin deep.

This is not to say that it would be good to give up witnessing, but it might be more effective with most college personnel if you were prepared to bring up the faith in a not-very-pushy way when there are conversations that leave that door open (and not when they aren't).

Some people will read this post and think "he's recommending a wishy washy faith" or "too apologetic" or "why not be as outspoken as all those campus protesters?" but it's just a matter of effectiveness.

And besides, wearing a moderately-sized silver cross on a necklace is as good an attention-getter as is a hat.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
We're supposed to be a light, not sure it needs to be a neon sign.. It's shown in our actions, what we say but more so how we say it. We don't need to be wrapped up in a Jesus Christ suit to display Jesus Christ in us.
It seems to be a long road between "supposed to" and what is.
Few people/ few posters when asked,
know of anyone who has seen an assembly that is abiding in Jesus, that is know for laying down their lives for one another self-lessly, as written.

Reactions: Dave G.
Upvote 0

HatedByAll

Changed by the Grace of God
Sep 13, 2019
Southeast
✟61,994.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The root problem is a lack of a strong faith. Those 500 who saw the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ first hand knew what real faith is. "I" saw him and talked to him. . . "I" know it happened and he is the Son of God. Then those 500 had children and friends who strongly believed because of them.

We can't have a faith that is first hand to the degree their faith is, but we can still have a first hand faith. But we must grow in our relationship with Jesus Christ.

Here is the problem. How many Churches take the command to make disciples as serious as those in the first century? Do you met with other Christians daily? Are we making disciples or are we just baptizing our kids and Suggesting they go Church and if they don't mind go to Sunday School, oops growth group too.

So the average Christian today ends up a self made Christian that attends Church. Why should we expect them to witness when their faith is true but because of no one truly makes disciples, they are not 100% sold on it themselves.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RBPerry

Christian Baby Boomer
Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2013
Northern California
✟86,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Thank you for all the responses, and some very good observations. The fact that I advertise my faith also has another purpose, it keeps me focused on how Christ would want me to respond in any given situation. As for being seen as a fanatic, maybe so but is that so bad? For many years I was focused on apologetic's and it has given me the responses to many of the arguments that opened minded people have. As I said, open minded because as we all know many aren't.
That fact that we as Christians may at times fail to act as Christ would have, only proves the need of a savior, each and every one of us fall short at times. I remember getting very angry at some antagonistic students, when my anger was challenged as being a poor representation of Christianity my counter was, "That is why you need Christ, we all fall short and will never measure up." It isn't an excuse for inappropriate behavior, it is a reality of what and who we all are, sinners saved by God grace.
I live in California, so it is normally to be a little over zealous.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
As for being seen as a fanatic, maybe so but is that so bad?
The first century Apostles and disciples were called idiots and simpletons because they gave up their whole life for their faith - and simply told the truth, even when it hurt them - they would not continue lying like the other people did daily.
i.e. they were 'fanatics' far more devoted in every moment of their days than anyone known in the usa today.

Notice also - this is important - they obeyed Yahweh's Word. In the meetings of Ekklesia, they did not permit all the false teachings, false doctrines, idolatry, greed, and so forth that is readily permitted here today and in most meetings.

What was sinful, was dealt with - not allowed to go on.

They followed Yahweh's Instructions. No, not politically correct. No, not like the other religious leaders saying "don't make waves" "just love people" (part of the false gospel that leads multitudes of souls to destruction) ....

They followed / and follow today/ Jesus. This is the secret of power that was lost in the first few centuries. "Follow Jesus" ..... Almost nothing else matters (Jesus knows everything we need to do, to say, to have to live (with three square meals a day and clothes to wear, be content! ) .....

What blocks true life ? What blocks fellowship ?

Not just false teachings, false beliefs, and unbelief....

things. Seeking / loving the world/ things, and calling them "mine own".

The Ekklesia in ACTs knew nothing was their own, and claimed nothing as their own.

Totally different/ RADICAL/ TRUE......

Upvote 0

Nancy Hale

Dec 29, 2019
Nevada
✟24,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Yesterday I walked to the corner market. When I came out there was a man in a wheelchair struggling to push himself up the little incline from the road onto the sidewalk.
I asked if he needed help. He said no. I told him I was helping anyway. One of his eyes and his nose were eaten away, they were bloody and oozing.
As I started to push he said "I need a miracle" and I said "don't we all". He said "I have cancer" I put my hand on his back and said "God bless you"
He asked me for something. It was the exact same thing I went to the store for, and I had bought two. I gave him one. I asked if he needed something else, he didn't, I rubbed his back again.
I guess I should have asked him if he knew Jesus. I had fears, but not about talking about Jesus to Him.
I was pretty much only thinking of myself. Yesterday was the first day my grandson had his drivers license and I didn't have to drive him all over town. And, when I started my walk my legs didn't hurt! I had actually planned to walk farther, just because I felt I could and I was so happy about it when I came across the man.
Anyways, that's why. I suck.

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,979.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Yesterday I walked to the corner market. When I came out there was a man in a wheelchair struggling to push himself up the little incline from the road onto the sidewalk.
I asked if he needed help. He said no. I told him I was helping anyway. One of his eyes and his nose were eaten away, they were bloody and oozing.
As I started to push he said "I need a miracle" and I said "don't we all". He said "I have cancer" I put my hand on his back and said "God bless you"
He asked me for something. It was the exact same thing I went to the store for, and I had bought two. I gave him one. I asked if he needed something else, he didn't, I rubbed his back again.
I guess I should have asked him if he knew Jesus. I had fears, but not about talking about Jesus to Him.
I was pretty much only thinking of myself. Yesterday was the first day my grandson had his drivers license and I didn't have to drive him all over town. And, when I started my walk my legs didn't hurt! I had actually planned to walk farther, just because I felt I could and I was so happy about it when I came across the man.
Nancy, don't beat yourself up you did good. Pray about that miracle the man is looking for, maybe you met him for you to simply pray that prayer, push him up the rise and give him half that item you bought. And God will take it from there. We don't know. Maybe it was a test to see how much more work Jesus has to do in you. We don't know. Some things are a mystery aren't they ? But it's about Him not us .

• Friendly
Reactions: Nancy Hale
Upvote 0

Nancy Hale

Dec 29, 2019
Nevada
✟24,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Nancy, don't beat yourself up you did good. Pray about that miracle the man is looking for, maybe you met him for you to simply pray that prayer, push him up the rise and give him half that item you bought. And God will take it from there. We don't know. Maybe it was a test to see how much more work Jesus has to do in you. We don't know. Some things are a mystery aren't they ? But it's about Him not us .
Thank you for your graceful response. It is about God, he's amazing! I just like that He let's me help people sometimes, that He works thru me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,979.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Thank you for your graceful response. It is about God, he's amazing! I just like that He let's me help people sometimes, that He works thru me.
Amen Nancy ! But I bet He doesn't think you S**k !! You need not either.

Upvote 0

RBPerry

Christian Baby Boomer
Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2013
Northern California
✟86,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

Nancy, remember you must love yourself before you can love others. Love yourself and you will find it so easy to love others. Your desire to help speaks volumes about your compassion. Always listen for the voice of the Holy Spirit, he will guide you when to witness and when to be quite. Thanks for loving that man.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Amittai

baggage apostate
Aug 20, 2006
✟41,180.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I wonder if it is in an indirect relation to an individualised legalism - that we each had to go "witnessing" - that used to be fashionable, and maybe folks are having unconscious and nebulous qualms about that (without realising).

Now I know a lady who does exactly that witnessing genuinely, and lots of people get interested but her church don't welcome them.

I meantime believe I was sent mainly to God's people and am not an evangeliser-per-se, but I can help my church evangelise by my prayers. When I don't know what to tell people about Jesus, I don't beat myself up for not doing what the folks that breathed down my neck when I was a teenager wanted. I feel more open to God's (near) future and surprising guidance this way.

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,979.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Sometimes we are just a witness and testimony by being there and letting His light shine through. A kind word, a smile and friendly hello in a hostile world can be from the Spirit if you sense the Spirit working in you. Other times you are called to say something more ( divine appointment). If it's meant to be that you should speak the gospel to someone, their hearts will probably be prepared to hear it. We shouldn't bible thump it into people, it's a good news message they have been waiting to hear. They will be drawn to it and not really sure why sometimes. That's because it's spiritual. I've had specific people placed on my heart to speak to and only a few just out and about in the world. Other than those I just let the Spirit flow through me. I don't know what to expect to hear from Jesus when we meet Him. I have to hope that I'm not judged on my effort but willingness to agree with His. I certainly have not been perfect...

I know a pastor who's efforts I admire tell me, if we miss a call the Lord has others to work through. It's not all on us individually. I don't know what to expect to hear from Jesus when we meet Him. I pray I'm not judged on my efforts but willingness to respond to His. Because I'm only so good at this stuff !

Upvote 0

UVSATURATED2020

May 4, 2020
The Kingdom Of Heaven
✟8,991.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

For some, I think it is fear, or it could be that the person does not believe it will make a difference. From my perspective (50 year old) I've seen that people in the USA have generally been brainwashed into becoming quite reclusive and anti-social. This is due to the era of the digital age, where video games and entertainment occupied the minds and time of our youth. Also, the invention of the internet and smart phones has enabled people to artificially socialize. However, when it comes to real face-to-face interaction, the average contemporary person has lost their ability to effectively communicate using their hearts, minds, mouth, and body. If it isn't electronic or a facsimile of reality then its outdated and not 'cool' or socially acceptable.

I am only proud of my own faith in Christ and that I openly can witness to anyone at will, but my charge is much larger than this for I have been given spiritual gifts in life that I will be using to witness to others using these gifts. That way, it is much more effective than simple witnessing through conversation.

Upvote 0