I have a question that I was hoping you could answer?

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi GW,

You have posted agreement to another's post which stated:

May I suggest that the bible does not give a definite answer and only God knows for sure. Since He has deemed revealing the earth's age as unnecessary, perhaps the general range accepted by young earth advocates is sufficient for now.

That just simply isn't true, my friend. In Exodus 20 we read that God, the very God, spoke these words:

“Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a sabbath to the LORD your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your male or female servant, nor your animals, nor any foreigner residing in your towns. For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.

Now, let's get the picture. These words were spoken by God some 2500 years after the creation. So, let's leave Genesis and look here at Exodus. By the creation year of 2500 everyone knew what a day was. Everyone was familiar with mornings and evenings being the time span of a day. And here, 2500 years later, God himself told Moses, 'For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them,...'

Do you really believe that God hasn't clearly explained and defined what He has done and the time in which He did it?

Now, if we then take this passage of Scripture and glue it over the first six days of the Genesis account, and believe that on day six God created the final 'magnum opus' of His creation, man, and follow the clearly spelled out genealogies of Adam, we find that Adam had a son named Seth when he(Adam) was 130 years old. Is there any equivocation about this explanation of Adam's son's date of birth? I can't find any. Adam, who God says was created on that sixth day of creation that God confirmed to Moses some 2500 years after the creation, was actually six literal days, and even bases the practice of the Jewish Sabbath which has for centuries now been six literal days and then a Sabbath, six literal days and then a Sabbath, six literal days and then a Sabbath, had a son named Seth when he was 130 years old.

Adam then lived on to a good old age of 930 years. Seth then had a son when he was 105 years old named Enosh. At this point the creation is 6 days and 235 years old based on the passage of Scripture of God's own mouth confirming that the heavens and the earth and all that is in them were created in six days and the working out of the first two generations from Adam. One can simply add the years of each successive son until we come to Noah.

In the account of Noah we are told that He was 600 years old when the flood came upon the earth. The flood lasted 150 days and we later read that, 'By the first day of the first month of Noah's 601st year...' Noah left the ark. Then we are clearly given an account of the generations from Noah. Again, we go through the years from one father to the next until we reach Abram.

As I wrote before, things get a little more difficult to find as far as dates of the ages of those who died in this time, but, praise God, we now begin to be able to look at extrabiblical historical accounts for ages and dates. However, for the one who diligently searches God's word there is evidence of the dates of Abraham's first descendents leading up to the going to Egypt and the ensuing captivity of Abraham's descendents and we can add the 40 years in the desert and, while not absolutely accurate to the day, we can be assured of a very narrow range of years that would have brought the Hebrews to the Jordan river preparing to overtake the promised land.

Once we get to the days of the judges and kings the determination of dates becomes much easier using extrabiblical accounts, but suffice it to say, that just as the above post claims of Mr. Usher, the OT timeline covers about 4,000 years. From Jesus to us today is completely simple and you just add another 2,000 years or so.

The Scriptures do declare a timeline and I'm one who is absolutely convinced in the spirit that the very purpose of God in including all of those dry and boring dates and genealogies is for the express purpose that we may know the truth about the actual time of this creation.

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

Upvote 0

steve78

Jan 18, 2011
✟18,341.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Married
Yes you are correct. I stand corrected there. But to my last question. Do you believe in a literal 7 day creation week.

No. The one of the reasons reason why is that Gods seventh day has lasted 6000- 10000 years so far.

Why would the 6 previous days be 24 hours.

Upvote 0

PROPHECYKID

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No. The one of the reasons reason why is that Gods seventh day has lasted 6000- 10000 years so far.

Why would the 6 previous days be 24 hours.

I am not sure why you believe God's seventh day had lasted years when the bible does not say that. In hebrews 4 it says that God rested (past tense) on the seventh day, which means it must have been past. In the 4th commandment we are told to work 6 days and rest the 7th because God created the world in 6 days and rested on the 7th. If the 7th day is still in process then many passages of the bible would be totally confusing.

Also consider this. The Sun and the Moon are what determines the day and the month. Do you know what determines the week? Who establised a 7 day week? It was God at creation. The only reason we have 7 days in the week today is because God's creation week was 7 days and humanity has thus followed this pattern from since then. There is no other reason. Therefore, if it were not literal days, then who came up with a 7 day week for humanity.

Upvote 0

steve78

Jan 18, 2011
✟18,341.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Married
I am not sure why you believe God's seventh day had lasted years when the bible does not say that. In hebrews 4 it says that God rested (past tense) on the seventh day, which means it must have been past. In the 4th commandment we are told to work 6 days and rest the 7th because God created the world in 6 days and rested on the 7th. If the 7th day is still in process then many passages of the bible would be totally confusing.

Also consider this. The Sun and the Moon are what determines the day and the month. Do you know what determines the week? Who establised a 7 day week? It was God at creation. The only reason we have 7 days in the week today is because God's creation week was 7 days and humanity has thus followed this pattern from since then. There is no other reason. Therefore, if it were not literal days, then who came up with a 7 day week for humanity.

An interesting answer. Plenty to think about there.

The problem is that if we go by the acount of Genesis then he created the other 8 planets in our solar system at the same time. Their orbits and days are different.

The sixth days describes the creation of animals that impact mankind and the creation of mankind himself.
  • Then God said, "Let the earth bring forth living creatures [nephesh] after their kind: cattle and creeping things and beasts of the earth after their kind"; and it was so.
  • God made the beasts of the earth after their kind, and the cattle after their kind, and everything that creeps on the ground after its kind; and God saw that it was good.
  • Then God said, "Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; and let them rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over the cattle and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth."
  • God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.
The sixth day begins with the creation of more nephesh creatures. These include the cattle (behemah), creeping (remes) nephesh (probably rodents), and "beasts (chay of the earth" (translated "wild animals" in the NIV, usually referring to the wild carnivores)

The ultimate nephesh creation is mankind, created at the end of the sixth day. tells us that God created mankind as males and females. However, Genesis 2 tells us more about the sixth day. From we know that the sixth day extended at least through the creation of Eve, since the text indicates that God created both males and females on the sixth day. The following events took place after the creation of Adam
  • God planted a garden in Eden
  • God caused the garden to sprout and grow
  • God brought all the birds, cattle and wild animals to Adam to name
  • God put Adam to sleep, took a part of him and formed Eve
The events of the sixth day seem to require longer than 24 hours also. The text indicates that God planted a garden. This garden was not planted full-grown, since the text says that the trees were caused to sprout or grow (Hebrew tsamach). The amount of time allowed for the garden to grow is not stated, but would presumably take longer than 24-hours. After the garden had grown sufficiently, the man was placed into the garden to cultivate it. By this time, the trees were producing fruit so that Adam could eat. This process takes a period of time greater than 24 hours. Next, Adam was given the assignment of naming the birds, cattle and wild animals. The list includes only birds and mammals and does not mention fish or other lower life forms. Even so, it would require that Adam name at least 14,600 species (8,600 species of birds and 4,000 species of mammals). This would require Adam to name more than 10 species per minute (assuming he had the entire 24 hours). For those who believe in a young earth, it would require that Adam name not only all of the existing birds and mammals but all the ones in the fossil record also (since they would all have to be alive on day 6 - no animal death before the fall). Such a task would probably double the number of species to be named. However, Adam did not have the entire 24 hours, since part of it was required for the planting and growing of the garden, Adam tending the garden, and God putting Adam to sleep to create Eve. Realistically, Adam would have to name at least 20 species per minute, including all the species found in the fossil record. Following this naming of the animals, no suitable helper was found for Adam. So, God put Adam to sleep, took at piece of Adam's side, and created Eve. Adam's response to Eve's creation is also telling. Upon seeing Eve for the first time, Adam says "at last. This is not exactly the response one would expect from a person who had waited for less than one day. So, we must conclude that the sixth day was most certainly longer than 24 hours, and probably took at least several years from Adam's response.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Steve,

You wrote:
The problem is that if we go by the acount of Genesis then he created the other 8 planets in our solar system at the same time. Their orbits and days are different.

I'm not sure you've completely thought out a lot of your creation 'theory'. Why do you think that other heavenly bodies having different orbits and days would lead God to not understand the length of a day on the earth? I truly can't understand that line of thinking. Why would God, 2500 years after the creation, tell Moses that He created all things in six days and expect us to think that He probably means the length of a day on Jupiter? Friend, God is not stupid. When He spoke to Moses He knew that He was speaking to a man who only knew what a day was in earth's time.

You further explain that it would surely take more than 24 hours for a garden to grow. Then I guess I would have to believe that you don't believe God made Adam in a day either, because using natural processes and taking out any account of a miracle, it would have taken a number of years for Adam to grow into a man. I think one of the biggest problems that a lot of people have in understanding the creation is that they rob God of His ability to perform miracles that are beyond our simple comprehension. For me, if God wants a garden in Eden to be fully grown and functional with food and seed bearing pods already to eat and grow the next generation of plants. He just has to say so! For me, if God wants the light from the most distant star of the most distant galaxy to be visible in a moment to someone standing upon the earth, He just has to say so. He's God. He can and does throughout the history of His creation cause things to happen that are impossible for us to conceive. He made the sun hang in the same place in the heavens in relation to the earth for nearly one whole day. Friend, that's impossible!! But God has the power and wisdom and authority over all of the natural laws that govern the day to day movements and processes of the entire universe, to stop them, start them, change them and cause things to act in completely inexplicable ways to us.

If we have to be able to explain all that God did, then we might as well throw out Jesus. In the world that existed 2,000 years ago there was absolutely, positively, without a doubt any way that a woman could become pregnant unless male sperm was introduced into her womb. No way, No how!! So, friend, if you don't think the creation can possibly be 6,000 years old because of some natural law that exists, like there's just not any natural explanation for our being able to see stars millions of light years away, then, friend, you've got to, listen to me, you have absolutely got to deny that Jesus is who he says that he is. Because quite frankly it is just as impossible that Mary conceived a child without the introduction of male sperm into her womb as it would be for the light of distant stars to just 'appear' to someone standing on the earth at the time of the creation.

God can and does do miracles. Consider the awesome power and wisdom of a being who can speak, just speak words, and things are done. I mean, consider this. Suppose that you walked out to your front yard and looked at a spot a couple of hundred yards away and said, "let there be a 700 story office building completely wired for internet, phone, electric and surrounded by very nice landscaping on that spot." Wham!!!!!! within the time it takes you to draw your next breath it is there. Friend, that's who God is. Only He is even wiser and more powerful than that. He'd look at you and say, "Office building, phh! Watch this!" and within the matter of a moment He speaks an entire planet into existence that rides right along behind the earth in it's same orbit. Then He looks at you and says, "What, you think that was tough? Watch and learn sonny. And in another instant he creates another entire galaxy next to our Milky Way. Your standing there with your jaw scrapping on the ground thinking what a great creator you are to have created a 700 story office building in a moment and God has just put you to shame.

That's the God I serve!! The God I serve, before He ever stood up from His throne knew exactly how many heavenly bodies He needed to create and exactly how each one's orbit needed to be that they didn't all bang into each other and knew that their light would be the light of the universe and He spoke and 'Whoooosh!' it was all there running perfectly just like a fine tuned swiss watch. That's the God I serve.

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Wayne,

Days are not determined by either the sun or the moon being in their place. A day is the time it takes for the earth to make one full rotation on it's axis. It can literally be pitch dark in the entire universe and a day, as we understand the length of a day, will still happen upon the earth. It will rotate one full rotation and a day will have passed.

Friend, you know, the Scriptures speak of a 'delusion' that will come upon the people of the earth.

For the secret power of lawlessness is already at work; but the one who now holds it backhttp://www.christianforums.com/#cr-descriptionAnchor-13 will continue to do so till he is taken out of the way. And then the lawless one will be revealed,http://www.christianforums.com/#cr-descriptionAnchor-14 whom the Lord Jesus will overthrow with the breath of his mouthhttp://www.christianforums.com/#cr-descriptionAnchor-15 and destroy by the splendor of his coming.http://www.christianforums.com/#cr-descriptionAnchor-16 The coming of the lawless one will be in accordance with the work of Satanhttp://www.christianforums.com/#cr-descriptionAnchor-17 displayed in all kinds of counterfeit miracles, signs and wonders,http://www.christianforums.com/#cr-descriptionAnchor-18 and in every sort of evil that deceives those who are perishing.http://www.christianforums.com/#cr-descriptionAnchor-19 They perish because they refused to love the truth and so be saved.http://www.christianforums.com/#cr-descriptionAnchor-20 For this reason God sends themhttp://www.christianforums.com/#cr-descriptionAnchor-21 a powerful delusionhttp://www.christianforums.com/#cr-descriptionAnchor-22 so that they will believe the liehttp://www.christianforums.com/#cr-descriptionAnchor-23 and so that all will be condemned who have not believed the truth but have delighted in wickedness.http://www.christianforums.com/#cr-descriptionAnchor-24

Now, many believe that the delusion spoken here will be associated with the Antichrist, but this particular piece of passage opens up telling us that even in the days of Paul's ministry the 'secret power of lawlessness' was already at work. Then it goes on to say that the 'lawless one' will be in accordance with the work of Satan displayed in all kinds of counterfeit miracles, signs and wonders, and in every sort of evil that deceives those who are perishing.

Now, I would ask you to put your thinking caps on here. If, let's just lay out some various possibilities, if God really did create the heavens and the earth in 6 days, does He find those who are sitting upon the earth today denying that, as faithful? I mean here's one poster here saying that God really hasn't given any clear instruction of the time of the creation, but I think that's just not true. God has said in a number of places that the creation event took six days and then beginning from the sixth day when He says He created Adam, He gives us a complete genealogy by which we can count off the years to Noah and the years to Abram and the years to the Exodus and the years through the nation of Israel. So, yea, I don't believe that God has not given us a perfectly clear timeline. But, just for the sake of thinking it through, does God find those who deny the creation event, as faithful, if in fact everything was created in six literal days? If God did create all things in six literal days, then do these people really believe God? Do they really trust God's word?

Now, what is this delusion that God's word speaks of? Yes, I fully understand that we won't be able to make any definitive judgment about it, but let's just ponder the question. Is there any possibility that this delusion would be the evolutionary thinking that is going on today? What do you think? Now, please don't just jump into this. Stop! and think about it. Ponder the possibility. I don't know if it is or not, but I see that even the elect are stumbling over this issue, if in fact God did create all things in six literal days. What are the chances that this very issue of evolutionary theory is a great delusion that God himself has laid out for us as a test of faithfulness. Just something to ponder and my encouragement would be to pray about.

I can tell you that for me, I don't have any problem at all understanding God creating all things in six days. That 'science' says it isn't true and that they parade all kinds of proofs to deny it, just makes my head go, "Hmmm, what are the chances that this whole issue is the great delusion that God's word speaks of." I mean, let's face it, if it really is a delusion then we're going to have a believable theory that confirms it for us. It's just like a scam artist. He looks and acts sincere and it takes a very discerning person usually to see through his scam. It wouldn't be much of a delusion if any half-wit could see through it, would it? I mean, how 'powerful' would a delusion be if 90% of people saw through it?

Put your thinking caps on and just give these thoughts 15 minutes of serious consideration. Could the evolutionary theory be a 'powerful delusion'?

God bless you all.
In Christ, Ted

Upvote 0

wanelad

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
✟8,149.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Ted I do not think God came up with this delusion of evolution but rather the Ruler of this world
Eph 2:2
John 12:31
John 14:30
It is he that tried to draw people from God by having them believe in a fantasy. Rom 1:20 makes it clear there is a creator which is evident in what he has created.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

steve78

Jan 18, 2011
✟18,341.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Married
Hi guys,

I've seen it posted here that the sun wasn't created til later days. I hope that everyone can understand that the sun has nothing to do with the time of a day.

God bless you all.
In Christ, Ted

Well it does as Genesis talks about evenings or mornings. You cannot have either without a sun.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

steve78

Jan 18, 2011
✟18,341.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Married
Hi Steve,

You wrote:

I'm not sure you've completely thought out a lot of your creation 'theory'. Why do you think that other heavenly bodies having different orbits and days would lead God to not understand the length of a day on the earth? I truly can't understand that line of thinking. Why would God, 2500 years after the creation, tell Moses that He created all things in six days and expect us to think that He probably means the length of a day on Jupiter? Friend, God is not stupid. When He spoke to Moses He knew that He was speaking to a man who only knew what a day was in earth's time.

You further explain that it would surely take more than 24 hours for a garden to grow. Then I guess I would have to believe that you don't believe God made Adam in a day either, because using natural processes and taking out any account of a miracle, it would have taken a number of years for Adam to grow into a man. I think one of the biggest problems that a lot of people have in understanding the creation is that they rob God of His ability to perform miracles that are beyond our simple comprehension. For me, if God wants a garden in Eden to be fully grown and functional with food and seed bearing pods already to eat and grow the next generation of plants. He just has to say so! For me, if God wants the light from the most distant star of the most distant galaxy to be visible in a moment to someone standing upon the earth, He just has to say so. He's God. He can and does throughout the history of His creation cause things to happen that are impossible for us to conceive. He made the sun hang in the same place in the heavens in relation to the earth for nearly one whole day. Friend, that's impossible!! But God has the power and wisdom and authority over all of the natural laws that govern the day to day movements and processes of the entire universe, to stop them, start them, change them and cause things to act in completely inexplicable ways to us.

If we have to be able to explain all that God did, then we might as well throw out Jesus. In the world that existed 2,000 years ago there was absolutely, positively, without a doubt any way that a woman could become pregnant unless male sperm was introduced into her womb. No way, No how!! So, friend, if you don't think the creation can possibly be 6,000 years old because of some natural law that exists, like there's just not any natural explanation for our being able to see stars millions of light years away, then, friend, you've got to, listen to me, you have absolutely got to deny that Jesus is who he says that he is. Because quite frankly it is just as impossible that Mary conceived a child without the introduction of male sperm into her womb as it would be for the light of distant stars to just 'appear' to someone standing on the earth at the time of the creation.

God can and does do miracles. Consider the awesome power and wisdom of a being who can speak, just speak words, and things are done. I mean, consider this. Suppose that you walked out to your front yard and looked at a spot a couple of hundred yards away and said, "let there be a 700 story office building completely wired for internet, phone, electric and surrounded by very nice landscaping on that spot." Wham!!!!!! within the time it takes you to draw your next breath it is there. Friend, that's who God is. Only He is even wiser and more powerful than that. He'd look at you and say, "Office building, phh! Watch this!" and within the matter of a moment He speaks an entire planet into existence that rides right along behind the earth in it's same orbit. Then He looks at you and says, "What, you think that was tough? Watch and learn sonny. And in another instant he creates another entire galaxy next to our Milky Way. Your standing there with your jaw scrapping on the ground thinking what a great creator you are to have created a 700 story office building in a moment and God has just put you to shame.

That's the God I serve!! The God I serve, before He ever stood up from His throne knew exactly how many heavenly bodies He needed to create and exactly how each one's orbit needed to be that they didn't all bang into each other and knew that their light would be the light of the universe and He spoke and 'Whoooosh!' it was all there running perfectly just like a fine tuned swiss watch. That's the God I serve.

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

Thanks for your lovely reply.

I have no problem in the fact that God made the earth or even put Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden. What just does not add up is the 6 24 hour days.

God can click his fingers and a whole galaxy can appear if he wants. However, history shows us that he tends to use events, objects or even people when he needs to intevene in human affairs rather than just supernatural occurences.

Upvote 0

PROPHECYKID

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
An interesting answer. Plenty to think about there.

The sixth days describes the creation of animals that impact mankind and the creation of mankind himself.
  • Then God said, "Let the earth bring forth living creatures [nephesh] after their kind: cattle and creeping things and beasts of the earth after their kind"; and it was so.
  • God made the beasts of the earth after their kind, and the cattle after their kind, and everything that creeps on the ground after its kind; and God saw that it was good.
  • Then God said, "Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; and let them rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over the cattle and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth."
  • God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.
The sixth day begins with the creation of more nephesh creatures. These include the cattle (behemah), creeping (remes) nephesh (probably rodents), and "beasts (chay of the earth" (translated "wild animals" in the NIV, usually referring to the wild carnivores)

The ultimate nephesh creation is mankind, created at the end of the sixth day. tells us that God created mankind as males and females. However, Genesis 2 tells us more about the sixth day. From we know that the sixth day extended at least through the creation of Eve, since the text indicates that God created both males and females on the sixth day. The following events took place after the creation of Adam
  • God planted a garden in Eden
  • God caused the garden to sprout and grow
  • God brought all the birds, cattle and wild animals to Adam to name
  • God put Adam to sleep, took a part of him and formed Eve
The events of the sixth day seem to require longer than 24 hours also. The text indicates that God planted a garden. This garden was not planted full-grown, since the text says that the trees were caused to sprout or grow (Hebrew tsamach). The amount of time allowed for the garden to grow is not stated, but would presumably take longer than 24-hours. After the garden had grown sufficiently, the man was placed into the garden to cultivate it. By this time, the trees were producing fruit so that Adam could eat. This process takes a period of time greater than 24 hours. Next, Adam was given the assignment of naming the birds, cattle and wild animals. The list includes only birds and mammals and does not mention fish or other lower life forms. Even so, it would require that Adam name at least 14,600 species (8,600 species of birds and 4,000 species of mammals). This would require Adam to name more than 10 species per minute (assuming he had the entire 24 hours). For those who believe in a young earth, it would require that Adam name not only all of the existing birds and mammals but all the ones in the fossil record also (since they would all have to be alive on day 6 - no animal death before the fall). Such a task would probably double the number of species to be named. However, Adam did not have the entire 24 hours, since part of it was required for the planting and growing of the garden, Adam tending the garden, and God putting Adam to sleep to create Eve. Realistically, Adam would have to name at least 20 species per minute, including all the species found in the fossil record. Following this naming of the animals, no suitable helper was found for Adam. So, God put Adam to sleep, took at piece of Adam's side, and created Eve. Adam's response to Eve's creation is also telling. Upon seeing Eve for the first time, Adam says "at last. This is not exactly the response one would expect from a person who had waited for less than one day. So, we must conclude that the sixth day was most certainly longer than 24 hours, and probably took at least several years from Adam's response.

I see what you are saying but everything in Genesis 2 does not necessarily have to occur during creation week. Do you think God created the garden of Eden on the 6th day. Well I cannot really say that. If we take Genesis 2 in complete order, then we must say that God created man before animals. I don't believe Genesis 2 is written to show the order of when things happen but really what happened. Animals we made before humans. Also if we take Genesis 2 in order, trees and plants were also created on the 6th day. I think the account of Genesis 1 was to show the order of creation week and Genesis 2 is not focused on showing order, neither is focused on the events of creation week itself, but rather to show everything God did in relation to the creation of man. This does not mean that everything had to take place on the 6th day.

The bible also records that Adam lived for 930 years. If the 6th day was not a 24 hr day but rather more like 1000 years how is Adam's age even possible. If the 7th day has not yet ended then how was Adam's age calculated. You made a good point in another post that God could have created everything in one day. The only reason he took 6 days to create everything and rest on the last day is to give us the week which we abide by today. Imagine the Almighty God said "Let there be light" and that was all he did for the entire day! It is obvious it was deliberate. The only reason he stretched out creation was that we could have the week. Then in the 4th commandment he emphasizes the fact that he took 6 days to create the world and rested and then in Hebrews 4 emphasize that God rested on the 7th day after working for the previous days. No doubt in my mind they were 24 hr days.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Steve,

You responded:

I have no problem in the fact that God made the earth or even put Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden. What just does not add up is the 6 24 hour days.

Why? Do you believe the planet earth turned slower when it was created? Maybe taking a thousand years to make a full rotation? I'm not sure that you have quite yet grasped the glory and power and majesty of God. Why do you find it hard to believe in a God that can speak into existence our planet and before it makes one full rotation He has created 'light' in this realm that provides a 'morning' and 'evening' upon the face of the earth. (Hint) It doesn't have to be from the sun for God to make 'light' in the universe. Keep in mind that He is God. He works outside of the natural laws that we have come to trust and depend on to explain our day to day lives.

Then, before the planet makes another full rotation, He creates the sky, the part that we see around us constantly that gives us the 'blue' color that surrounds us in the daylight. He makes that sky so that some of the water on the earth stays on the earth, but some, in the form of vapor separates from the water on the planet to fill the sky. This would thus be the clouds created that encircle only the earth. No other heavenly body has clouds like the earth has because there is no water on them to create them. While, scientists do continually search for signs of water on other planets, it is always claimed to be found as ice, which won't make a cloud. Theories abound that comet tails and the like contain some ice, and may well do, but these don't make clouds as we have on the earth. They don't bring rain on the comets. So, just keep in mind that from the very first moment of God's creating this realm, He singled out the earth and made it special. So, at the end of day two, the second rotation of the earth, we have sky and clouds. Yes, these are impossible without the sun to warm the water and make the clouds, but again we must remember, God does the impossible. He works outside of the natural laws that we have come to know and trust for our day to day existence.

Then day three comes along. Up to this point the earth was ball of water. There was land but it was covered by the water. The first verse tells us that 'the Spirit of God hovered over the waters'. All the entire surface of the earth was a 'sea'. On day three, the third full rotation of the earth, God separated the sea so that the dry land appeared and then on that dry land he caused fully mature plants to 'appear'. They didn't grow any more than Adam 'grew'. The dry land portion of the earth was just suddenly covered with various plants and trees. In one full rotation of the earth God moved the waters that covered the entire earth to one side and covered the dry land that appeared with plants of all kinds. Continue to remind yourself that God doesn't work within the bounds of the natural laws that we have come to know and trust for our daily existence. He parts seas at will. He causes the sun to literally stop in it's tracks, although, if we throw in our scientific knowledge we have to understand that He really must have stopped the earth from rotating. While this may be how He caused the sun to appear to stand still in the sky for nearly a day, it doesn't necessarily have to be. Remember, He's God. He isn't bound by the natural laws that we have come to know and trust that make our existence possible.

Now we come to the fourth rotation of the earth and now, we find that God makes all the stars and the sun and moon. It really is quite inexplicable to us how God might have sustained the earth without all the stars and sun and moon for 3 days. We can't possibly understand or explain how plants lived without sunlight for heat for an entire day, but then we have to again remind ourselves, He's God. How's it go? He isn't bound by the natural laws that we have come to know and trust for our day to day existence.

Now, of course, we can begin to understand a 'day' because it would be what we have come to know as a day over the 6,000 year history of the creation. It is the rising of the sun and moon, but keep in mind that they don't actually 'rise'. The effect that we see as the 'rising' of the sun and moon actually is based on the 'rotation' of the earth. The real descriptor of what a 'day' is. So, to God, nothing has changed, but to man we see now what we understand as a 'day'.

Day five and six are the days of creation of all living things and, of course, now we can begin to see how the natural laws begin to fall in place and the creation is sustained and continued by these natural laws that we now believe explains everything.

I think a good place to read and begin to comprehend God's awesome power and glory and majesty in all that He has created for us is in Job. Yes the entire work of the 6 days of this realm of creation was not so that God could look out His big picture window and say, "Oh my, look what I have done!" No, not at all. God had purposed before He even created the earth in the very first verse of Genesis that He was creating a place for man to live. While we surely don't know, at this point it would be good to just sit back and consider, what did God do to create the realm in which the angels live when He created them? What do angels need to continue their existence that God would have miraculously made for them? It tends to boggle our limited, finite minds to consider such things, but I think it is worth just sitting back for a few moments and considering.

Anyway, we read in Job a wonderful account of so many of the marvelous miracles of God's creating that makes our 'world' work. Beginning in Job chapter 38 through the next couple of chapters we are given a wild ride through the creation effort of God. He questions of Job, just as He would question you or I in our limited understanding of all that He has done, "Who is this that darkens my counselhttp://www.christianforums.com/#cr-descriptionAnchor-3 with words without knowledge?http://www.christianforums.com/#cr-descriptionAnchor-4 Brace yourself like a man; I will question you, and you shall answer me.http://www.christianforums.com/#cr-descriptionAnchor-5 "Where were you when I laid the earth's foundation?http://www.christianforums.com/#cr-descriptionAnchor-6 Tell me, if you understand."

Tell me if you understand. Look friend, God has already made perfectly clear to us through His words to Job, that we won't understand, can't understand and will never understand how God did what He did, but our job is to trust that He did just what He said He did. As you read over this passage of the Scriptures you become somewhat aware of the awesome power, majesty and glory of God and all that He has done for us. Certainly for me, when I read over this I am just in humble awe when I begin to understand that God created all this for me, yea, for me. The fact that I am able to sit here today and share with you; the fact that I was even born from generations of people; the fact that there even is a heaven and an earth, is because the great and glorious, loving and merciful, compassionate and forgiving God exists and can do all things.

That, my friend, is the God I serve.
God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist

God can click his fingers and a whole galaxy can appear if he wants. However, history shows us that he tends to use events, objects or even people when he needs to intevene in human affairs rather than just supernatural occurences.
As the ancient Scriptures, unchanging truth, say, being breathed by God / inspired thru men He called and chose as He breathed His Word and guarded it always.

God can, and God had it written so we can , if we will , trust Him instead of so-called history that is not God-breathed nor inspired, but faulty writings of sinful men.

Creation does not "add up" for sinful men, nor in the way the world , which is opposed to God, thinks. The world is wrong, and sinful, and hates God, so naturally under the devil's operations the world will always contradict God's Word and always oppose the truth.
People of the world who go along opposed to the truth of God's Word, die with the world, as God always has said in His Word.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Scripture is not dependent on man's way like saying "the real descriptor of what a day is" which comes from men, and not from God.
God said what a day is, from the start.
Simple - God made everything simple.
Man came up with many devices, distractions from truth, divisions not found in God,
and ways opposed to God.

Now, of course, we can begin to understand a 'day' because it would be what we have come to know as a day over the 6,000 year history of the creation. It is the rising of the sun and moon, but keep in mind that they don't actually 'rise'. The effect that we see as the 'rising' of the sun and moon actually is based on the 'rotation' of the earth. The real descriptor of what a 'day' is. So, to God, nothing has changed, but to man we see now what we understand as a 'day'.

Upvote 0

steve78

Jan 18, 2011
✟18,341.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Married
As the ancient Scriptures, unchanging truth, say, being breathed by God / inspired thru men He called and chose as He breathed His Word and guarded it always.

God can, and God had it written so we can , if we will , trust Him instead of so-called history that is not God-breathed nor inspired, but faulty writings of sinful men.

Creation does not "add up" for sinful men, nor in the way the world , which is opposed to God, thinks. The world is wrong, and sinful, and hates God, so naturally under the devil's operations the world will always contradict God's Word and always oppose the truth.
People of the world who go along opposed to the truth of God's Word, die with the world, as God always has said in His Word.

I have a problem with believing something without evidence. I will point out that the bible was written by faulty sinful men.

Upvote 0

steve78

Jan 18, 2011
✟18,341.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Married
Scripture is not dependent on man's way like saying "the real descriptor of what a day is" which comes from men, and not from God.
God said what a day is, from the start.
Simple - God made everything simple.
Man came up with many devices, distractions from truth, divisions not found in God,
and ways opposed to God.

Sorry but no. All scripture says is that God made the earth in 7 days and there was a morning and evening between them. The bible, Gods word does not say how long those days were. The idea that the days were 24 hours is just pure assumption based on that the days have a morning and an evening. If you can find anything that God says that those days were 24 hours long then i will believe.

Upvote 0