Christianity supposed to be:
I am accepted so I will obey
I am bad and Jesus loves bad people
People: Repentant or not
Focus: What Jesus did
Produces: Humidity and confidence
Motivated by love

I'm inclined to agree except for one thing:

I think you mean "humility", not "humidity", unless Christianity causes people to be in warmer climates.

Upvote 0

Bumble Bee

Disciplemaker
Nov 2, 2007
Held together by Jesus and coffee
✟698,409.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes! We are all broken people, and our faith is about being broken together and celebrate the work HE has done in our lives. Not because of who I am, but because of what He's done. Not because of what I've done, but because of who He is.

Upvote 0

Fish Catcher Jim

Radically Saved
Feb 19, 2015
SW MI for now
✟19,583.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Motivated by love

Jesus did Not Preach love and acceptance
He Preached Kingdom and Repentance

Upvote 0

tim hopkins

Feb 24, 2016
mexico, mo
✟15,701.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I agree that religion is motivated by fear. That's why we are not called to serve a religion but to love the lord our God with all of our hearts, souls, and minds and love our neighbor as our selves. If Christians would truly adhere to these two commandments and be filled with the Spirit of God and produce the fruit of the Spirit: Love, Joy, Peace, Meekness, Faithfulness, Forebearance, Kindness, Goodness, and Self Control - they wouldn't be as stressed out as they are.
www.mexicowordoflifeministries.com

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bumble Bee

Disciplemaker
Nov 2, 2007
✟698,409.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Jesus did Not Preach love and acceptance
He Preached Kingdom and Repentance

yes, kingdom and repentance, but also love you neighbor. How can we bring our neighbors to repentance if we show them nothing but judgment without love? I find that when we love the person and hate the sin, people are much more receptive. There have been many times when I have spoken to my non-Christian coworkers and friends where my respectful disagreement with their lifestyle, yet acceptance of their personhood has made them much more open to hear the gospel.

For instance, I nannied for a Hindu family who are now close friends. Their boys are as my own. Because I was able to respect their beliefs and culture while I worked for them, they respect mine. They have allowed me to take their boys to church and have even attended church themselves and allowed me to pray blessings over their boys because I was respectful. When they tie the cords around their wrists to dispel spirits, I do not remove the cords or participate in the ceremony, but I tell them how I cope with the same issues. When they offer up their prayers and incense, I do not participate but offer up prayers to my Lord. The mother especially watches me and how I live and often asks questions. That is living faith and love, not religion and works.

I am one of very few of my coworkers who waited to have sex until marriage and lives a moral lifestyle. Most of the others are raising children out of wedlock and believe very differently on moral issues. However, I don't shut them down while they talk. My relationship, engagement, and marriage has been a huge witness because when I talk to these women about why Tim and I do what we do rather than putting them down for not believing the same way, they ask more questions. Not once have they pushed me beyond what they know my limits are because I have shown them the same respect. On the flipside, one of my coworkers is also a Christian and has unfortunately alienated this same staff with the comments she makes to them when they so much as shop at Target or Starbucks (literally! It was an unpleasant scene!), or when they say a curse word or mention having had drinks... even though those conversations never ever happen in the classroom. The girls all talk about how uncomfortable she makes them feel and they have said they don't feel like they can talk about their lives at all around her. That's not the way things should be. How can we know where people need Christ presented to them if we do not allow them to express themselves?

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
What Jesus did
In one way you're right, because it can cause us to sweat if we truly follow His example.

Upvote 0

dude99

Apr 12, 2014
✟40,407.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I'm inclined to agree except for one thing:

I think you mean "humility", not "humidity", unless Christianity causes people to be in warmer climates.
Thank you for the correction and adjusted it. Cheers

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Religion:
If I obey I am accepted
If I am good God will love me
People: Good and bad
Focus: What I do and don't do
Produces: Pride and Despair
Motivated by fear

Produces: humility and confidence
Motivated by love

Let me fix this for ya..

People: Repentant (no need for extras here)

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Religion:
If I obey I am accepted
Motivated by fear

Motivated by love

There is absolutely nothing in the definition of "religion" that necessitates how you described it and everything that you described as how Christianity is supposed to be are religious doctrines. Say you hate false religion and love true religion, but it doesn't make much sense for the religious doctrines of what Christianity is supposed to be included in what you said you hate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Northern Star
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

surrender1

Jun 1, 2011
✟20,372.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Religion:
If I obey I am accepted
Motivated by fear

Produces: humility and confidence
Motivated by love
Nice post

Upvote 0

Bumble Bee

Disciplemaker
Nov 2, 2007
✟698,409.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is absolutely nothing in the definition of "religion" that necessitates how you described it and everything that you described as how Christianity is supposed to be are religious doctrines. Say you hate false religion and love true religion, but it doesn't make much sense for what Christianity is supposed to be included in what you said you hate.

I think the point is how the doctrines are lived out. Christianity is more than just religious tenets, but it is a relationship, an attitude, a way of life. That is the difference the OP is trying to make clear.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I think the point is how the doctrines are lived out. Christianity is more than just religious tenets, but it is a relationship, an attitude, a way of life. That is the difference the OP is trying to make clear.

I agree that is the point, but there is absolutely no need to bash religion in order to make that point. I am tired of seeing people bash religion for no good reason. Jesus taught true religion and the emphasis on relationship, attitude, and a way of life don't make it any less of a religion.

Upvote 0

dude99

Apr 12, 2014
✟40,407.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
yes, kingdom and repentance, but also love you neighbor. How can we bring our neighbors to repentance if we show them nothing but judgment without love? I find that when we love the person and hate the sin, people are much more receptive. There have been many times when I have spoken to my non-Christian coworkers and friends where my respectful disagreement with their lifestyle, yet acceptance of their personhood has made them much more open to hear the gospel.

For instance, I nannied for a Hindu family who are now close friends. Their boys are as my own. Because I was able to respect their beliefs and culture while I worked for them, they respect mine. They have allowed me to take their boys to church and have even attended church themselves and allowed me to pray blessings over their boys because I was respectful. When they tie the cords around their wrists to dispel spirits, I do not remove the cords or participate in the ceremony, but I tell them how I cope with the same issues. When they offer up their prayers and incense, I do not participate but offer up prayers to my Lord. The mother especially watches me and how I live and often asks questions. That is living faith and love, not religion and works.

I am one of very few of my coworkers who waited to have sex until marriage and lives a moral lifestyle. Most of the others are raising children out of wedlock and believe very differently on moral issues. However, I don't shut them down while they talk. My relationship, engagement, and marriage has been a huge witness because when I talk to these women about why Tim and I do what we do rather than putting them down for not believing the same way, they ask more questions. Not once have they pushed me beyond what they know my limits are because I have shown them the same respect. On the flipside, one of my coworkers is also a Christian and has unfortunately alienated this same staff with the comments she makes to them when they so much as shop at Target or Starbucks (literally! It was an unpleasant scene!), or when they say a curse word or mention having had drinks... even though those conversations never ever happen in the classroom. The girls all talk about how uncomfortable she makes them feel and they have said they don't feel like they can talk about their lives at all around her. That's not the way things should be. How can we know where people need Christ presented to them if we do not allow them to express themselves?
I love this post and you are right, if there is people out there you do not agree with the lifestyle, then hang out with them. With that they can see the Christ like nature in you, instead of adapting a self righteous attitude.

Upvote 0

Bumble Bee

Disciplemaker
Nov 2, 2007
✟698,409.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I do not believe the OP to be bashing religion because it is reminding us of what our faith stands for and where our hearts should be. It is reminding us of what is more important, just as Jesus did in the day of the pharisees. Was it more important to remain religiously pure, or to make oneself unclean to share a meal and a witness with a sinner? Even back then Jesus preached against making religious traditions the main point of faith.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Fish Catcher Jim

Radically Saved
Feb 19, 2015
SW MI for now
✟19,583.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Greetings @Bumble Bee,
I apologize if what I said came across as Jesus not teaching us about Love. I mean the first and greatest commandment is to Love God with all of our heart.

There is a doctrine being taught that we have to accept everyones quirks or sins and allow them to do what ever they want. That's False and it's under the heading of Jesus said love and acceptance.

I was waiting to see where the o.p was coming from. That is why I said it as I did.

People have the idea these days that it does not matter how they act because God loves them and we are ok. That again is false for the most part. Yes God loves us but God can also not be pleased with us. Things begin to dry up and you see God doing less and less and it slowly draws you deeper into sin.

Walking in Love And Forgiveness is Vital.
Faith won't work without Love.
Love won't work without Forgiveness
So if your love is not working then your faith is not working and your prayer life suffers drastically.

So yes mam, walking in Love is key at All times.
Blessings
FCJ

Upvote 0

frienden thalord

Apr 9, 2017
texas
✟59,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
What is the one thing God desires above even sacrifice..........
OBEDIANCE TO HIM.
You hate obedience , thus you don't hate religion , it sounds more like you Hate the GOD who
desires obedience.
IF we have HIS SPIRIT , it teaches us to obey , to walk righteously , godly.
Many hate GOD and don't know it . This is so sad.

• Agree
Reactions: Thedictator
Upvote 0

frienden thalord

Apr 9, 2017
texas
✟59,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
What did GOD tell cain.............if ye do well you will be what............ACCEPTED.
The only condemnation one has is that they love darkness more than light
and wont come to the light , lest their evil deeds be exposed, reproved, corrected etc.
THEY love sin, NOT the RIGHTEOUS light of Christ .

Upvote 0

Bumble Bee

Disciplemaker
Nov 2, 2007
✟698,409.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What is the one thing God desires above even sacrifice..........
OBEDIANCE TO HIM.
You hate obedience , thus you don't hate religion , it sounds more like you Hate the GOD who
desires obedience.
IF we have HIS SPIRIT , it teaches us to obey , to walk righteously , godly.
Many hate GOD and don't know it . This is so sad.

Yes, He does desire obedience above sacrifice. I do not believe any of the posts here were preaching against obedience to the Lord. Not even the OP. This thread seems, at least to me, (and correct me if I'm wrong, @dude99 ), to be about our attitude toward other people. It's about whether we look at them as the lost children of the Lord or if we look at them as beneath us because they don't look, act, or talk the way we do.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I do not believe the OP to be bashing religion because it is reminding us of what our faith stands for and where our hearts should be. It is reminding us of what is more important, just as Jesus did in the day of the pharisees. Was it more important to remain religiously pure, or to make oneself unclean to share a meal and a witness with a sinner? Even back then Jesus preached against making religious traditions the main point of faith.

The thread is titled "I hate religion" so there is no getting around the fact that religion is being bashed. Again, there is no need to say anything against religion in order to emphasis the importance that God places on where are hearts are at throughout the Bible. While Jesus did teach against some man-made traditions, he followed other religious traditions, so religious traditions can be good or bad.

Upvote 0