New York
✟73,204.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I feel weird in today's church. While I get that there's this thing called grace for all sinners; I also sense that worldly culture is infecting our church culture. The reason I say this is the number of divorces within the church, and very few of them have to do with abuse or infidelity; usually the reason cited is financial. On the one hand, because I see so much divorce, and that in general the court will side with the females on their desire to divorce; which leaves me cautious to even pursue a woman, because I'm apt to believe it just won't work no matter how good of a husband or father I could be. On the other hand, I hear woman screaming how they can't find a good man in church, but when they said good man, they mean a myriad of different things, and it usually includes well off financially (which really isn't biblical; finances in and of themselves aren't biblical, only how we steward them). I bust my butt and work hard to a mundane lifestyle that is not appealing to women, nor can I find a better job in order to support a godly woman. I find myself clawing and scratching for a solitary life that seems meaningless. Not only this, but I grew up in pretty rich household; my father made six figures, and our house was destroyed twice by natural disasters; so I cannot for the life of me fathom why so much stress is placed on finances of the home when God just decides to take it away whenever through no fault of my own. I would desire a wife who would stick with me through thick and thin no matter what, no matter what happens (Obviously I would not include infidelity in this; however I never have cheated on any past girlfriends nor do I have any desire to do so in the future, and believe me, there have been opportunities to).
I feel very out of place in a church culture of divorce and remarrying, which from what I can see, is explicitly against what the Bible teaches, both in divorce and in the marrying of a divorced a person.

• Prayers
Reactions: lismore

MariaJLM

Crazy Cat Lady
Aug 1, 2018
Calgary
✟50,815.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
CA-Others
The people in your church who are having no-fault divorces are actually sinning.

I can relate to your situation a bit. I'm 28 and am not married. I've never even been in a relationship nor do I intend to. Some people are simply called to be single and it's 100% permissible. I would suggest that perhaps you consider the same for yourself, but I have a feeling that's not what you want to hear.

Because I have no interest in relationships that's the most I can offer in terms of advice, but I'll try to pray for you(try since prayer has been difficult for me lately).

Upvote 0

Cement

Mar 24, 2018
Austin
✟55,782.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
for me I dont consider it a bad thing. I always wanted to have a wife but im just not that good in communication with people especially the women. so consider that you are considerably more free and have more time to honor the Lord and do his will. my siblings are married and have children but I have seen how much more difficult their life has become in the commitment to raise a family is no easy task so for me i think an ascetic lifestyle is a good thing to strive personally and im trying so hard to be free from all vices but its not for everyone to be a hermit :)

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The single path is a hard one socially. I'm walking it. I get how it feels weird when people assume you have kids and you don't, to feel jealous of your friends because they have families and have "made it" and seeing people 10 years younger than you get married and you wonder to yourself why circumstances didn't align for you, and can they ever align for you. To simultaneously enjoy visits with your nephews/nieces and feel sad that you didn't provide them with (additional) cousins to play with. And to wonder if it really is for the best or not.

You're definitely right about how wrong divorcing and remarrying is. As you get older, you'll have to steel yourself because there will be more pressure from everywhere - even from within the church, Heaven forbid - to get together with a divorced woman, and you will probably be told that's all you're worthy of. They are wrong. They neither fear God, nor do they respect you if they say that.

This isn't to say that some divorced women aren't permissible to pursue - if she was outright cheated on and left, that's permissible as far as I can tell according to what Jesus taught in Matthew 5 and 19. That of course doesn't make it a good idea, she could always get back together with him (it does happen), and who are you to stand in the way of that.

I at least have a men's group that I go to. That helps. What also helps is considering that I could very easily be one of those guys who got divorced, for either Biblical or unbiblical reasons. I do not envy them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟430,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
My Church does not allow divorce except in cases of infidelity or conversion to a different religion (usually in Egypt, that means Islam). So you wouldn't find any "no fault" divorces there, since applying for divorce is in this context a virtual admission of guilt on at least one partner's part. (And the adulterer is disallowed remarriage, while the cheated-on party may be remarried, as has been explained to me by the only Coptic person who I know who was granted a divorce.)

But it would still be a little unusual to be in your 30s and not married here, too, since the Coptic Orthodox Church encourages marriage rather than dating (they've only been in the West since the 1960s or so, and so missed the sexual liberation stuff that was going on in the West at that time), so it's the norm to be married by then, after a suitable engagement period. I'm not sure that this is better or what, but it does seem to produce stronger unions, I guess.

On the other hand, as a convert myself these expectations don't exactly apply to me, since I was already 30 when I was baptized, so... :p

I don't know what to say, really. Many people of both sexes are shallow, including religious people, so I'm not sure there's any sort of 'silver bullet' that would put down any potential problems, particularly as appeals to secular courts mean that any reason a person may have for divorce -- legitimate or not -- is likely to be granted. But we all want to believe that there are people out there who will buck the trend, I guess. I think a lot has to do not with love or finances, but a basic attitude of commitment. My father always used to make fun of his brother when they were teenagers back in the 1960s for not 'dating around' while they had the chance to be young and wild and free, as his brother married his high school sweetheart as soon as she graduated high school (he had graduated a year or so earlier). That was back in 1970, and they are still together to this day, and have never had eyes for anyone else. Meanwhile, my father, the "shop around" guy, has been married four times, and is currently a divorced old man who swears up and down that he will never get married again, because it's all a big racket.

I'm not going to say what if anything such things should mean to others, but comparisons like this from my own life have certainly given me a lot to think about as I age. I think of the girls I could've ended up with had been just a little bit stupider and thank God that I didn't make any rash decisions, even if it means I'm out of step with my Church. If God wants to change my romantic circumstances, I'm open to it, but I'm not going to settle for just anyone. The worldviews and values have to be compatible, and that's a tough nut to crack these days. Can't have one half fasting while the other feasts, or be praying the hours only to be distracted by your spouse's blaring the latest Eminem CD or something. (Or whatever more hip reference I could've made...haha.)

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I was married for over forty years. Then my husband passed away. I have a hard time believing that all women are money hungry; I wasn't. I didn't want to be poor though. My husband was great in that he NEVER EVER tried to control me and I never wanted to be unfaithful. We didn't argue about money. My mother-in-law believed he had made a better choice than his three brothers. Lucky us!

I was almost twenty-three when we married.

Upvote 0

quintessentialramble

Mar 7, 2018
New York
✟73,204.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Every church I've ever been a part of, to some degree, tries to have family events or bible studies. The better question is why dont we try teaching singles how to pursue Christ.

In anycase, modern weddings are actually a sham to take your money, they originally cost less than $10 and were held in barns, but then government corrupted it by making it a show.,

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Every church I've ever been a part of, to some degree, tries to have family events or bible studies. The better question is why dont we try teaching singles how to pursue Christ.
The present evangelical church is family-oriented to a fault. To a degree it's understandable because the family has been under severe cultural attack for decades now, and the church understands that the family is critical to society's wellbeing, but it leaves many feeling left out and feeling pressure to fit in by getting married and having kids - ready or not, capable or not, and whether it is really desired or not. It might be that a larger church would have ministry for a more diverse congregation.

As for finding a godly mate, it's a minefield out there, in my estimation. Best to cling closely to the Lord and be busy doing His will, and let Him bring the right person alongside you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mina

Brown Eyed girl
Sep 26, 2003
in the South
✟115,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was single in my twenties and it is very hard to be single in a church. Most churches are geared towards famlies. Depending on where you live, people in the church get married young, so if you are single after a certain age it is hard to fit in to that structure. People were either trying to set me up with completely unsuitable men or saying really mean things to me as to why I was single. My church had a singles ministry, but it was a LOT of older divorced people or a complete meat market. I did not attend the singles ministry there after about a handful of times ( I got asked out to go drinking once and I had guys that would not leave me alone when I was not interested- like really pushing me or saying inappropriate things and it was uncomfortable). Anyone in the church that I befriended offered up that I was never ever going to get married because I did not attend the singles ministry (like you can't meet someone anywhere else). I don't think many married Christians that got married young really understand how it is to be a single adult. It's not just meeting anyone that happens to be a Christian, it's meeting the right one or one of the right ones for you. Find your interests, volunteer in things that interest you and you are more likely to meet someone that compliments your life. BTW, as a single girl I was not looking for mr. moneybags; I was looking for someone that didn't turn to drinking for fun and took their faith seriously and was active in life and growing in their faith and who didn't talk badly about women.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Andrew77

The walking accident
Site Supporter
Feb 11, 2018
Ohio
✟138,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I feel weird in today's church. While I get that there's this thing called grace for all sinners; I also sense that worldly culture is infecting our church culture. The reason I say this is the number of divorces within the church, and very few of them have to do with abuse or infidelity; usually the reason cited is financial. On the one hand, because I see so much divorce, and that in general the court will side with the females on their desire to divorce; which leaves me cautious to even pursue a woman, because I'm apt to believe it just won't work no matter how good of a husband or father I could be. On the other hand, I hear woman screaming how they can't find a good man in church, but when they said good man, they mean a myriad of different things, and it usually includes well off financially (which really isn't biblical; finances in and of themselves aren't biblical, only how we steward them). I bust my butt and work hard to a mundane lifestyle that is not appealing to women, nor can I find a better job in order to support a godly woman. I find myself clawing and scratching for a solitary life that seems meaningless. Not only this, but I grew up in pretty rich household; my father made six figures, and our house was destroyed twice by natural disasters; so I cannot for the life of me fathom why so much stress is placed on finances of the home when God just decides to take it away whenever through no fault of my own. I would desire a wife who would stick with me through thick and thin no matter what, no matter what happens (Obviously I would not include infidelity in this; however I never have cheated on any past girlfriends nor do I have any desire to do so in the future, and believe me, there have been opportunities to).
I feel very out of place in a church culture of divorce and remarrying, which from what I can see, is explicitly against what the Bible teaches, both in divorce and in the marrying of a divorced a person.

So get ready brother, because I'm not holding back on this. Ok?

I'm exactly like you in every way. I have a low-income, zero-future job. I've worked my entire life, getting up at 4 AM, to be at work by 5 AM, to work all day, come home and pass out from exhaustion. I have no big income. No degree from college, because I failed out 3 times. No training, no skills, nothing. World class zero.

Never had a girlfriend in my life.

And my age? I'm now 41.

Not only that, but my parents are now millionaires, and all my relatives are rich. Doctors, lawyers, government employees, engineers, union workers, you name it. I'm the one guy, literally the only guy in the family at 40 and still poor.

So first bit of advice, get over it.

Job 1:21 "The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away; Blessed be the name of the Lord."

You came into this world with nothing, and you'll leave this world with nothing. Stuff, is just stuff. It's not going with you, to wherever you spend your eternity, so stop worrying about it.

Second, stop thinking about what other people are doing. It's not up to you to worry about other people getting divorced or remarried, unless you are pastor of the church. If you are not, nonya.

And along those lines, what a woman wants in a man, is her prerogative. You say that is unbiblical? Says who? If I decide I want a to marry a red head, there is nothing in the Bible that says wanting a red-head is somehow against G-d's word.

A man usually wants an attractive woman to marry, and woman usually wants a man that has a stable job that can provide for them. Both are perfectly biblical positions. Sorry, that's going to ruffle some people's feathers, but that's the truth.

Additionally, I consider it a good thing if a woman is open about this. Better I find out that I'm not what she is looking for, than playing this "that's not biblical" game, having her marry me, and then we're both miserable because she isn't happy with me, and I'm not happy because she's not happy.

Better to find out now, and just look for someone else.

Here's the bottom line.....

People that are far worse off in life than either of us, can find a wife. I've seen people who had no legs, who found a wife. What's a guys earning potential, when he can't even walk? And how many women are completely interested in being some cripple dudes life-long nurse until either she, or he, dies?

I have a relative right now, that has a degenerative disease, like Parkinson disease. He went from being a single guy, with a terrible disease, to getting married to a woman who knew how he would end up. Couldn't work anymore. His wife got a nursing certificate, and now the state pays her like and employee, to take care of him.

G-d does take care of his own. Do you believe that? If you do, then go find yourself a wife. And yes, that means you will meet some who are not interested in what you have to offer. So what? Move on. You just keep looking until you find someone who does want you. Every good salesmen knows you get 10 times as many 'no' answers, as you do 'yes'. Does it hurt to be rejected constantly? Sure. But how are you going to find the yes, if you never wade through the no's?

So that my answer to you. Suck it up. Keep looking.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Joined2krist

Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
✟427,078.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I'm not sure why you're letting things get to you this much but I want to say that the outcome of your life with your future spouse may be different from what's going on around you. There are couples who will not get divorced and there are those in good marriages, look for one or two and let them inspire you. As for women wanting men with lots of money, I don't see anything wrong, if you don't fit into this group, you will find women who don't mind, they'll love you regardless. Be optimistic, God bless

Upvote 0

Joined2krist

Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
✟427,078.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I'm not sure why you're letting things get to you this much but I want to say that the outcome of your life with your future spouse may be different from what's going on around you. There are couples who will not get divorced and there are those in good marriages, look for one or two and let them inspire you. As for women wanting men with lots of money, I don't see anything wrong, if you don't fit into this group, you will find women who don't mind, they'll love you regardless. Be optimistic, God bless

Upvote 0

Jimdubu

Aug 28, 2018
Menifee
✟17,400.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am sorry you are feeling anxious about this. But you just need to trust in God and in God's timing, look at Abraham sure he was married but God promised him a son. Abraham and Sarah waited and waited and waited and he even had a child with Sarah's maidservant. But God still had a plan and when Abraham was 99 and Sarah was 89 the Lord told them Sarah would conceive. and she had Issac. which if you follow that family tree going forward it will lead you to David and of course Jesus.
Now a little about me, like you I came from a upper middle class family, my father was a executive vice president of an insurance company. I tried Jr. college dropped most but golf and bowling. was big into the mini truck scene in the early 80s . I was working as an assistant manager for a telemarketing company. A friend of mine wanted to go 4 wheeling with a girl in our club in her Toyota 4x4, She brought her friend along and we rode in the back ( always tell people I met my wife in the back of a pickup ) anyway Tami and I were married in 1984. I went to trade school and became an Optician. Of course we wanted children ,but we had infertility problems. We trusted in God, but it was tough seeing our friends with kids at parties. But in 1997 God brought a wonderful boy in our life that we adopted We have never had lots of money we have usually lived paycheck to paycheck. We've had our ups and downs we lost everything in a house fire in 2002 and I had a stroke this past June, so I am on disability. But through it all we have faithful to each other and has strengthened our relationship with our Lord and Savior.
When you find your equally yoked wife, follow what the Bible says about marriage, not the worldview. Men love to pick the part about "Women must submit to their husbands" but ignore the following verse to " Love your wife as Christ loves the church " . Prayers my friend.

Upvote 0

usexpat97

kewlness
Aug 1, 2012
Ecuador
✟76,839.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Most churches just are not strong at ministering to singles, and they know it. If you live in an urban area where you have options, I suggest leaving an otherwise-better church in favor of one with a singles ministry. That fellowship with birds of a feather is important.

• Winner
Reactions: Junia
Upvote 0