War, love, and prayer...my life
Aug 14, 2004
Kokomo, IN
✟8,969.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Can I get a dose of your wisdom? God has placed a woman in my life, and inside she's everything I've ever wanted and needed in someone. She's a dreamer, a writer, a creative muse, a healer, and an encourager.

We spontaneously felt led to take a trip to my hometown this weekend, and she met my family and closest friends...and they all think its shocking how much of a match we are. They all tell me, "Hang on to her. This is a keeper. Do NOT let her go." She had a list of 42 things she was praying for in a husband, and I meet ALL of them. I just discovered a letter I wrote to myself a year ago about why I couldn't find a real woman of God, and now here she is. She fills in all the gaps that have been keeping me from growing in my relationship with God. She makes me desire to read the Bible every day again, to have passion for it, and to feast on it.

Our hopes and dreams and desire for Jesus as the rock of our lives is almost exactly complimentary to one another. The way we fill in each others' weaknesses is scary. She is BY FAR the most amazing woman of God I have ever met...she walks into a room and instantly cuts through people's masks...her words are drenched with the Holy Spirit...she not only is able to recognize when something is wrong in my soul, but she can almost read WHAT is wrong.

But it's crazy. We both keep getting spiritually attacked, usually at the same moment...in her mind, she keeps hearing the message "he only wants to use you for your body...then he will leave you...he's just another jerk" and in my mind I keep getting "she's ugly...her teeth are crooked...her backside's too small...she doesn't even compare...you can get better...look at all these other women" Most of the time I feel nothing for her. Yesterday, for about 1/2 hour, she was the hottest, most beautiful thing to me and then last night I didn't even want to look at her. Sometimes, when I look at her face, I'm enthralled, other times she looks like a hideous monster.

I notice men leering at her constantly (at the gym, park, my teenage friends, etc.), and everyone I talk to thinks she's adorable, but all my mind can do is pick her body apart. With almost every other girl, I wouldn't be able to get her out of my mind...my desire for her would be so great...but with this one, I feel so sick and repulsed inside.

I've always fallen in love with a woman and remained completely obsessed with her for months, but with my girlfriend I can't stop comparing her physical beauty to every other woman I meet. I feel sick, dead inside and drained. My past is coming back to haunt me. At times I feel like dumping her, and at other times it feels so perfect. I keep saying to myself, "What is wrong with me?" I'm torn apart in three different directions.

We sat alone for four hours at her house last night, and despite all the Christian textbooks saying that the temptation would be overwhelming, I found myself totally turned off to her. With any other girl it would be too much to handle...but I didn't want her at all... yet I enjoyed talking so much that I couldn't bring myself to leave either. We both can sense where this is headed, but I am so confused. I feel so UNattracted to her right now, despite having intense moments of seeing her and LOVING it.

I want to want her. But 1/2 the time, I am sickened by the physical. I wonder....has God put the blinders on me, or is Satan attacking me, or both? The only thing stopping me from thinking she's perfect is the physical...and its scary to think that I would have to end up leaving her for that. I've been praying that God would transform me on the inside to see her alone as beautiful...she's worth that much. But I feel discouraged, confused, and a little angry. Any advice?

K9_Trainer

Unusually unusual, absolutely unpredictable
May 31, 2006
✟18,437.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Agreed.

Honestly I've met several guys who I was compatable with and they weren't bad looking either. But there was something missing....Chemistry, romantic/sexual attraction, spark...Something. Needless to say I didn't persue a relationship with them. It's not because they weren't great guys, they really were and I know for a fact that all of them will make some lucky ladies very happy some day. But they just weren't right for me, I needed more, I wanted more. And now that I've found that guy, I can't imagine anybody being better for me than him.

If you think you can do better, and there's nothing wrong with thinking that, then perhaps she really is better off as a friend. It's obvious she's been placed in your life for a reason, but maybe that reason isn't to be your future wife.

Upvote 0

Beauty4Ashes

All that I need, is a song in my heart. . .
Feb 5, 2004
Visit site
✟28,095.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
erm, if i was her i would not want to be dating you. not because you are a bad person but if a guy felt that way about my looks, even if it was sometimes; I would not want to be with him. Luckily I am with someone who thinks I am beautiful all the time. That is extremely important, as a woman, to be honest. You aren't doing her any favors by staying with her.

Upvote 0

BobW188

Growling Maverick
Jul 19, 2008
Southern Minnesota
✟10,103.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I concur with B/4/A. And I doubt you can bring this off and keep her for a friend.

I would pray, pray and pray again about this. It really seems to me you're throwing away a once-in-a-lifetime chance; but if this is where your head's at, and if it's going to stay there, you are morally wrong to let her believe the two of you have a future together.

Reactions: Beauty4Ashes
Upvote 0

mina

Brown Eyed girl
Sep 26, 2003
in the South
✟115,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is very much like what my ex-boyfriend felt about me: "EX". Seriously, if there is any doubt about how her looks are, if it really really bothers you, then you need to stop being in a relationship with her. No girl likes to hear " I don't find you attractive", but it's better than just going along and resenting her and then taking it out on her in other ways. She needs someone that is attracted to her, and you need someone that doesn't doubt your motives.

Upvote 0

Blank123

Legend
Dec 6, 2003
✟56,875.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
thats pretty strong language you're using to describe her looks and i gotta be honest with you, if i discovered my bf were saying those things about me i'd clear up any confusion about our relationship for him *real* fast. If you're not attracted to her then you need to be fair to her and let her find someone who thinks she's gorgeous and let yourself find someone that you're absolutely enthralled with.

Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟97,021.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Time for some real reflection. Firstly, work through the 'sex needs great bodies myth'. Are you some gorgeous hunk that women would die for? A focus on just the physical works both ways.

What will most completely complement you, and you her - your bodies or all those great things you enjoy about each other?

Stop being blinkered by Hollywood fantasy land and set out to discover her as a woman, not just as a physical being.

Then, you can assess your long term prospects with her more maturely.

John
NZ

Upvote 0
I

ImperialPhantom

Blow out, not happening, too much wrong with this scenario.

I won't judge your standards or comment on them, because I don't know them, and I don't know whether you base it on what you think you want, or what you know you want. Maybe even you don't know, maybe you do. But the point is, don't be a martyr. Find someone who you're attracted to, and let her find someone who is legitly attracted to her. With my first gf it was the same scenario. Now, as far as I know, she has (or had) a bf who's into her as she is, and I have a wife who I'm into just as she is.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Fatolia

War, love, and prayer...my life
Aug 14, 2004
Kokomo, IN
✟8,969.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The advice about her might make sense if I had any long-term relationship experience to compare this to, but I don't. I've been one-off dating woman-to-woman for the last eight years and have not really clicked with anyone until now. Now that I click with this woman, and the chase is over and she's not a challenge anymore, all the negative aspects stare at me right in the face.

I'm getting advice on opposite ends of the spectrum. Some people tell me "dump her now and find someone you're really attracted to, because if the spark's not there, it'll never happen." Others tell me "wait it out...if she's so amazing on the inside, the outside will eventually come to you."

Everyone I show her picture to reacts that she is "adorable," "cute," "sweet," "beautiful," or "very very pretty." Just about every man on the street leers at her. My mentors tell me I need to "hang on to her." Am I the only one blind and not getting it?

She's completely different than my "type" of graceful, shapely brunette. Now that I look at my past, the only women I've ever been attracted to are graceful, shapely brunettes. I feel incredibly vain and conceited that I can't feel my heart skip a beat towards anyone who's different than my ideal archetype, despite everything inside being almost perfect. I know... this is stupid, psychological paranoia.

If I could just be healed of all this, I could carry on...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Stiegner

Human
Sep 10, 2008
✟15,131.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
AU-Liberals
For a relationship to work , both physical appearance and persanilty must create your attraction to a girl. It simply cant work if you compare her looks to other girls. That's not to say she is ugly. Everyone has their own laws of attraction.

It is wise in a relationship to put your hapiness before the others. If you are not totally happy then perhaps friendship is a better option.

Upvote 0

pegatha

Apr 26, 2004
✟1,433.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I think you've received a lot of good advice here. I don't think this is some kind of spiritual attack. I think there's a part of your mind that recognizes something isn't right here, but you're trying to ignore it. Either this girl isn't really right for you after all, or else you're not emotionally ready for the life-changing commitment of marriage.

If you're not absolutely sure you want her, crooked teeth and all, then please don't allow her to build up false hopes.

Good call. I keep telling her that exact thing, but she wants to keep seeing if it will work out.

What if she never gives up hope? You sound like the sort of kind-hearted guy who doesn't want to hurt her feelings, and I commend you for that. In the long run, though, breaking up with her now is kinder than putting it off. If you aren't attracted to her, you aren't, plain and simple. It's not something you can heal. However, the sooner you're out of the picture, the sooner she'll be available for that man out there somewhere who'll love her and her looks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I

ImperialPhantom

I'm getting advice on opposite ends of the spectrum. Some people tell me "dump her now and find someone you're really attracted to, because if the spark's not there, it'll never happen." Others tell me "wait it out...if she's so amazing on the inside, the outside will eventually come to you."

Trust me, even if the best case scenario happens, you're still screwed once it comes out "Yeah, I thought you were ugly for such and such a time, but I finally came around and got used to you!" It can't work out good either way.

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.