DonnaB

Apr 11, 2007
Michigan
✟8,095.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
DD is usually a pretty easy sleeper. I just put her down with her bear and a book and she jabbers until she falls asleep. Tonight I put her down as usual and all was well. I am extra tired tonight, and DH is working, so I was looking forward to some quiet time. Anyway, DD woke up crying about 30 min after she fell asleep.

Usually when this happens, I go in, hold her for a minute or so, lay her down again and she's fine. Tonight, though, every time I'd lay her down she'd start to wail.:( After a few tries I became so frustrated--which of course only upset her more. By now she was really crying (again, this is out of the norm for us), so I took her out of her room to walk around and calm her down.

She was almost asleep and I tried to lay her down again--same thing, loud wailing. As I picked her up for the 20th time, I noticed something...I asked her if she needed a new diaper and she started to cry harder and grab at the dipe.:cry:

When I went to change her, I realized that she'd pooped AND she has a raging rash on her bum.:doh: :( She then cried so hard I thought she was going to throw up, oh, she must have been so uncomfortable. Once I cleaned her up, treated the rash, and gave her a cuddle, she went right back to bed, no problems. Of course, now the guilt is going to keep me up all night. :cry: Not only did I not figure out the rash for, oh, at least 45min (making it worse), but I got impatient and frustrated at her to boot.

Robinsegg

SuperMod L's
Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2006
Near the Mississippi
✟63,126.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I've been in situations like that, before. Remember, hindsight is 20/20, and you did try to comfort her. Chalk it up to experience and learn from the situation.

For the record . . . such behavior (not in this case, since she stopped with treatment on her bum) can be indicative of earache, as the ear hurts more when the head is horizontal.

Rachel

Upvote 0

DonnaB

Apr 11, 2007
Michigan
✟8,095.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Thank you all for such kind words :) The rest of the night went better. After talking to DH this morning, we realized the culprit--tomato sauce! She always gets a rash when she eats too much, and between the two of us, we fed her spaghetti three times in two days.:doh:
For the record . . . such behavior (not in this case, since she stopped with treatment on her bum) can be indicative of earache, as the ear hurts more when the head is horizontal.

Rachel

This is excellent info, thank you!

Upvote 0

lucypevensie

Not drinking the kool-aid
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2002
WI
✟1,776,587.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't know of any parent who hasn't unintentionally hurt their child, whether they drop them or step on them or let an illness go on too long. So we apologize, and our kids are usually incredibly forgiving:). Try not to let it bother you:)

Upvote 0

marezee

cheeriokeeper
Apr 5, 2007
✟34,667.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's so hard to figure out why the little ones cry! It could be so many things...we just go through the steps and try everything until something helps! You did ok!
One time it took me over an hour to find out why my little one was crying...it was a diaper tag sticking him in the leg!! :doh:

Upvote 0

icbeckyc

Mar 9, 2006
Texas
✟12,056.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Just know you are not alone. We have all goofed something up. I did the same thing with a diaper rash on my first. With my second we learned anything tomatoe was awful. If it got on her skin it would make a rash and she would get awful diaper rash.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JCmyFriend

Apr 8, 2007
Sydney, AU
✟7,752.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hugs to you. I have done the same thing. It's very easy to do, particularly when you are tired. I have beat myself up for days about it.

Try not to be too hard on yourself. I'm sure it happens to all of us. Me more than once. You are a great Mummy and don't ever forget that.

Blessings, Donna

Upvote 0

sparassidae

In Christ Alone
Apr 3, 2007
Sydney, Australia
✟18,403.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If I had a dollar for every time I ignored a cry that turned out to be illness/injury, bumped them, left them to roll of a bed, didn't catch them when they fell etc, I'd be a very rich woman (well, not quite, but I could probably buy myself a new dress ;) )

Actually the biggest guilt I have is something I did to my sister when we were teenagers. She came into my bed in the middle of the night ( I guess I was more approachable than our parents), complaining of a sore tummy. After comforting didn't work I got up and got her some panadol (paracetamol).

I went back to bed, next thing I know mum is waking me up telling me they were taking her to the hospital. It turned out to be appendicitus and she had it removed the next day. I felt absolutely terrible!

But, as a result I now know the symptoms of appendicitus. God is always teaching us!

Upvote 0

becstar77

Feb 18, 2006
✟7,675.00
Faith
Christian
When my son was two his daycare called to collect him - he was upset and out of his normal self

taking him home he seemed unwell, grizzly and not interested in food etc.

I thought it may have been teething so I whacked some teething gel in his mouth.... He howled so loudly he kept his mouth open really wide at the time and I noticed his mouth was FULL of ulsers!! it was part of a virus thing that had been going around

Don't beat yourself up... it happens to all of us at one stage :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DonnaB

Apr 11, 2007
Michigan
✟8,095.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Thank you all so much for the nice words to a newbie like me!:) You all really helped me to feel better. It is so hard when DH is at work and things like this happen. Once I aplolgized to my mom for being so hard on her about some of the things she did when I was little. SHe told me that all mothers are harder on themselves than anyone else is--even their children.

I finally understand what she meant!:cool:

Reactions: Heart4Him
Upvote 0