I Don't Know What To Do

Status
Not open for further replies.
The current controversy over anti-whatever threads is really depressing me. Sometimes I wonder if it is even worth it to be here on the website. I feel like I am being pulled so many ways, it really hurts. I would try to defend what I believe (I would lose to Wols in any kind of debate though), but I have fear of being shot at by people such as Kirkland1244 or AlphaPhi. I believe in Christian unity, but there are many fundies who would burn me at the stake for it. I am not a Catholic, but I am told I am "seperated brethren" and "do not possess the whole truth", but other times I am considered a Christian brother. :cry: Am I really not a Christian according to Catholicism? Please tell me none of you believe this.

Jeff

VOW

Feb 7, 2002
*displaced* CA, soon to be AZ!
Visit site
✟28,000.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Trust me, Hon, we're all feeling this frustration.

You are a Christian just as much as Catholics are Christians. One person can't be "more" Christian than another, thank God! (and I'll keep my sly remarks to myself, because I know you are very sincere in your faith)

Let me tell you something personal, rather than give the book, line, and page definition. When I was a kid, I grew up as what you might describe as a nominal Protestant. My family did not attend any church regularly, but I do recall my mother taking me to a Methodist church for a short while. My grandparents were of the Foursquare Gospel. When visiting them, the cousins would all go to Vacation Bible School, and we would occasionally be taken to a church service or a revival meeting. For a while, my sister and I did go to an Assembly of God. I knew the story of Jesus, and I had no trouble believing it, but the emotionalism of a Pentecost church is rather difficult for a child to grasp. There sure seemed to be a lot of RULES, too! No drinking, no smoking, no dancing, no movies... Can you imagine how it felt as a child to live in a home where both parents smoked and drank socially, and movies and dancing were not considered to be evils? Sometimes I would cry at night, worrying about the fate of my parents' souls. That's a TERRIBLE responsibility for a young child! I was seeing quite a bit of hypocrisy, too, though as a kid, I didn't know what it was called. These people who were proclaiming to be Christians, loving everyone the way Jesus loved, were also saying one thing on Sunday and doing another thing on Monday. And how could they say, with any knowledge, if you don't go to our church, but attend the church down to street, you're going to Hell?

When I became a teen, I decided I was an agnostic. I believed in God, but the whole "religion" thing was more confusion than comfort. I did believe, though, that "Something" was there. I wasn't going to kill myself trying to chase it, however. I took a Bible as literature class in high school (and loved it, BTW), but it was rather irritating to hear some kids in the class spouting the same things I had heard as a little kid.

I lived in Southern California, which has a very large Hispanic population. Catholicism is everywhere. I had very close friends who were Catholic. To me, they seemed more at peace with God, with the whole religion business. The whole family would go to Church on Sundays, and the different little Disciplines they would follow throughout the Liturgical year seemed comforting. It was like participating in their faith, even at home. Any questions I had about the Church were easily answered, yet there was none of the "witnessing pressure" that you often find in some Fundamentalist churches.

Later on, in college, I took another class of the Bible as Literature. And I read everything I could get my hands on. And later still, I married a Catholic. He isn't a particularly observant one, but the whole arrangement seemed "right" to me. We had a nondenominational wedding, and church and religion just never seemed to fit in to our married life.

It took a crisis, as it so often does. I won't go into it now, but I felt like I was shipwrecked in a raging storm. I told my husband, "Take me to Church." We went to a Sunday Mass at a nearby Catholic Church, and although I really had no idea what all the ritual was about, I had an indescribable feeling that I had come home. We talked to the pastor after the service. He was just beginning a Catholic Inquiry class that week, and it was like I had washed up onto a dry shore, and the sun came out. I wanted to know everything! And everywhere I looked, whatever I read, it all fit together. I have been acquiring pieces of this big puzzle of Life ever since, and they STILL all fit together.

My point, and I really think I did have one when I started all this gushing, LOL, is that even as a child, I could sense the very finger-pointing and name-calling, and judgmental attitude from Protestant churches. Not all, of course, but the ones I came into contact with. And I never, EVER found the same thing with the Catholic Church. I NEVER heard the words, "If you go to that church instead of THIS church, you're going to Hell."

Over twenty years after I became a Catholic, I STILL haven't heard those words from the Catholic Church. The Church's position is that we ALL, ALL Christians, are members of the Body of Christ. The Catholic Church has continued all the Sacred Traditions, all seven Sacraments that were instituted by Jesus. No Protestant church has all seven. And the Catholic Church considers that so unfortunate, sad, really, that all of God's children, are not receiving the full benefit of the Church. But that by no way means that God loves the Protestants any less.

I don't know if my rambling helps. I hope it does.

Peace be with you,
~VOW

Upvote 0

Avila

Boohoo moomoo, cebu
Feb 6, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
✟2,479.00
Faith
Catholic
Um, yeah, what VOW said. My experiences with religion are remarkably similar to hers. I'm sorry if my comments (and others' too) about not possessing the fullness of the Truth upset you. I did not mean it as God loves Catholics more than Protestants or that Protestants are any less Christians than Catholics. I think times like this are hard on people who want to be in the middle....

Upvote 0

supermagdalena

The Shrubs and the Flan.
Jan 27, 2002
Suburbia, USA
Visit site
✟2,068.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Nope. Not true. I was baptized in the third grade and was not yet a Christian. It takes a lot more than letting someone sprinkle water on you. You have to be willing to develop a personal relationship. My friend was baptized as a child and is definitely not a Christian. This is a general statement that doesn't check out a lot of the times.

Yes, I'm sick of it all :cry: People have told me I'm not a real Christian because I'm Protestant, because I'm not baptized since I've been saved, and because I attend a nondenominational church. Why can't we be one Body and ignore the petty differences?

Upvote 0

VOW

Feb 7, 2002
*displaced* CA, soon to be AZ!
Visit site
✟28,000.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Magdalena:

You don't HAVE to be Catholic to be baptized, only Christian. And I understand your situation. There was a similar one in my family.

My sister-in-law, like me, is also a Catholic convert. She had been baptized in a Protestant church as a child, but she, like yourself, didn't consider it to be a conscious, deliberate commitment on her behalf. She admits, it was something she did to make her mother happy. When she embraced the Catholic Church, she had what is called a "conditional" baptism. The Church teaches that Baptism is an indelible mark on a person's soul, and because the Church believes in infant baptism, because it is a joyous introduction of the new life into the Christian community.

The Church feels so strongly about the Sacrament of Baptism, that it teaches ANY Christian baptism is valid in the eyes of God. Therefore, if you have been baptized in a Methodist church, or in a Pentecostal church, or in a nondenominational church, your soul indeed has this indelible mark upon it. If you and your priest wish to make an outward sign of your dedication to joining the Catholic Church, then you would be eligible for the "conditional" baptism. Essentially, though, it's a one-time thing. We even state as much, in the Profession of Faith: "We believe in one baptism for the forgiveness of sins."

Some Protestant churches, the Baptist church for one, does not consider the "sprinkling" baptism performed on occasion in the Catholic Church, to be a valid sacrament. If you are Catholic, though, and wish to leave the Church and become a Baptist, the Baptist pastor will re-baptize you with immersion.

Any clearer now?

Peace be with you,
~VOW

Upvote 0

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
The current controversy over anti-whatever threads is really depressing me. Sometimes I wonder if it is even worth it to be here on the website. I feel like I am being pulled so many ways, it really hurts.

I feel exactly what you are feeling Jeff. I almost didn't come back today after the floggin that I have gotten from a small group of a certain denomination the last few days. I feel like there is some big hook trying to get me to leave the freedom and joy of my faith to subscribe to a religious system, one that I left years ago, for good reasons.

I'm going to keep praying about what's been going on here and take one day at a time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

supermagdalena

The Shrubs and the Flan.
Jan 27, 2002
Suburbia, USA
Visit site
✟2,068.00
Faith
Non-Denom
VOW: Thanks. That clears up a lot. :)

David Ulchers: So sorry. Won't post here again. Forgot why I didn't.

Bye, peoples. Remember, some are running others off the forum. I'm about to leave and go somewhere where I won't get sacked for my beliefs or posting my opinion in certain forum.

Upvote 0

supermagdalena

The Shrubs and the Flan.
Jan 27, 2002
Suburbia, USA
Visit site
✟2,068.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I feel like there is some big hook trying to get me to leave the freedom and joy of my faith to subscribe to a religious system, one that I left years ago, for good reasons.

Sorry. Had to say this when I saw this...Lambslove, don't let people on this forum change your convictions. If you feel that you're doing what God wants from you, keep going!

Upvote 0

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
Oh, thanks, super! They won't change my convictions. But I feel sad that I have to work so hard to explain my convictions to my own spiritual siblings. I expect it when I'm talking to non-believers, but my own spiritual family? It saddens me. But I greatly appreciate your encouragement.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

supermagdalena

The Shrubs and the Flan.
Jan 27, 2002
Suburbia, USA
Visit site
✟2,068.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Thanks. I'm just trying so hard to stay out of the Christian vs. Christian threads. I did that for a while when I saw how many Catholics were getting bashed, I got in to help, and got butchered myself. We need to watch the hostile environment that's growing here. :( It's sad.

Upvote 0

hopeee

Mar 8, 2002
✟596.00
Hi Jeff, I am Catholic, and I consider you Christian.....Please hold your head up high and fight for what you believe in....
I know how you feel. Some Catholics tell me to leave the Catholic Church, because I am a "BAD" Catholic... ( I believe in using condoms or the use of the pill for Birth-Control) Don't fret.... There are all kinds of Christians out there and they come in all shapes, colors, and sizes.... Have a wonderful weekend. :wave: Hope

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.