Antilles

Nov 15, 2006
✟15,133.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Hey everyone:

While there are a few issues in my life at the moment that are causing me to be torn in half, there is one that I would really appreciate your advice on.

We just moved about a year ago to our new house and recently we've been having a battle of sorts with a few (about four to five) 14 or so year old boys. These boys have been acting like idiots and endangering the lives and safety of anyone traveling down our street by placing large tree branches on the road and even placing masking tape from one light pole across the road to the other light pole and all the while harassing my family.

For instance, these people turned off the power to my room and several others in the house and they managed to turn off the water all together. I was half-way through a mission on a computer game and was flying quite impressively when they turned the power off and I just ran outside filled with rage, anger, and utter hatred in an attempt to catch one of them and make him pay. Luckily for him, I had my new socks on so I thought against chasing him up the road as I would have destroyed my socks. There were rocks and stones were he was heading anyway, so I wouldn't have been able to catch him in socks with rocks all other the road. If he were running down the other end of the street I would have caught him quickly.

In addition to all of this I also strongly believe that these people are the ones who trashed the windows of our home while it was still under construction and also did like-wise to our neighbours houses (which were and still are under construction) as well as breaking all of the street lights in our street among other things. Further, I believe that it was they who snapped the aerial for one of our cars that I drive as well as damaging my sister's boyfriend's car by destroying a windscreen wiper.

So, as you would, I called up the police asking them to get down here and put the fear of God into them, they said that they would be down "As soon as possible." The time taken for a five minute trip? About three to five hours! By that time, of course, they had already left. Then the police supposedly told my Dad that they couldn't do much if the kids were under 14 years old and that they didn't know who they were (i.e. we don't know their names or address). Even so, they asked Dad whether or not I had actually seen them turn the power off; now there were something like four to five of them, some had the block posts in their hands, so no, I wasn't going to go outside and try and drive them off. I mean, fill in the gaps ... they were there before it happened, and previously had talked about turning the power off and so on ... then when they turned it off and I ran out after them there was no one else in the street. Those cops annoy me. But here's the stupid thing: we got the number plate of a car that picked them up and surely it can't be that difficult to track it back and then trace them to the criminals (lets face it, that's what they are) that we're looking for. It's just all so stupid that I am almost tempted to take the law into my own hands in a desperate attempt to regain control of the situation.

I just don't know what I should do as a Christian. I don't know how and just can't comprehend how Jesus would have reacted to them. I know that I have a right to be annoyed and angry because they have violated my family and I. One of them made a rude remark about my mother that enraged me, for an example. I have to confess that I want to give those kids a good bashing ... yet I know I shouldn't want to. Anytime I think about them I can feel anger and hatred start to build up ... when I know it shouldn't. I've got to be the worst Christian, if I am even one at all ... I just don't know for sure any more.

I just don't know what to do... I just don't know how I should respond to them... :help: What do you think the Bible says I should do? Please pray for me that I'll change and not give up on justice and on God's justice and His ability to change and fix my broken and angry life. :(

If you're still reading by this point, then thanks for taking some interest. I would appreciate your hopefully Biblical advice to my predicament. Thanks.

AbbieDunne

Veteran
Nov 9, 2005
Birmingham - United Kingdom
✟2,085.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Im afraid that there isnt much you can do with out proof it was them. I know its not what you want to hear though. Hopefully they will get caught and stop causing so much trouble to your street and I can see why you are getting so angry!

Pray for patience and that God will have control over the situation. Sorry I couldnt be more help! Abbie xxx

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟798,682.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well, I'm asuming your parents have talked with law enforcement about these things and surely the contractors have provided written reports of the damages at your home and the others.

I'm also assuming that some type of blockage can't be constructed to keep them from turning off the utilities. Perhaps set up a camera on the edge of the property and let them record for the police what is going on - of course, with your parents consent.

Take pictures of the damages, keep reports of what days these occur, etc. and keep the police fully advised. Unfortunately, the loudest wheel is the one that gets oiled.

Also, people who do these type of behaviors are betting on upsetting you. I know that this is difficult for you as it would be for me but we just can't let this dominate you. We have to remember: I John 4:4 ..."
because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world."

Upvote 0

Robinsegg

SuperMod L's
Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2006
Near the Mississippi
✟63,126.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Has anyone requested more frequent patrolling of your area?

I second the video camera idea. Get them on tape, and you're more likely to be able to do something legal.

Oh, and I suppose your family could get a large dog?

Rachel

Upvote 0
K

Keturah

I can understand you being angry at them but that's *exactly* the reaction they want to see. I remember when I was at school some kids would do all they could to annoy others...they found it funny. Now whether they were bored, crazy or just plain stupid doesn't matter...at the end of the day they found the reactions they got from people highly amusing. So don't react in front of them....don't chase them, don't shout at them, don't get angry in front of them. It's likely that is just the kind of reaction they want to see...don't give them what they want.

Now of course that doesn't mean you shouldn't get the police involved...definately do so and try to keep photographic evidence of the damage they do. But leave the chasing/catching to the police.

You asked what the bible says on this matter...well these verses come to mind...

Matthew 5:43-48 said:
43"You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor[h] and hate your enemy.' 44But I tell you: Love your enemies[i] and pray for those who persecute you, 45that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

Upvote 0

Controverse

Green Metal Ranger
Apr 16, 2006
Akinos District, Terra Haemosu, Atala
Visit site
✟12,062.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
No matter your reaction, it won't matter. They will continue their reckless behaviour, and these kids must seriously be lacking quite a few brain cells to be picking on someone or even multiple people so much older and bigger than them.

As a fellow PC gamer, I know how frustrating it must be for something like this to happen. So help me, if I were in the middle of a raid/instance in World of Warcraft and these kids shut off the power, I would be so angry.

Push the right people to install cameras capable of night vision, and have policemen patrol the area frequently. Furthermore, rally up the people on your street who are having trouble against these idiots and work together to get the powers that be to do something. Show them all the damage and danger presented by these moronic individuals. They in time will be dealt with the way they deserve.

Arkaine

Upvote 0