I dont have to celebrate Christmas!! yeehooey!

Mary_Magdalene

AKA..Godschosengirl
Feb 3, 2004
✟30,328.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
:clap:

My DH said we are not going to decorate, etc. on Christmas this year. He wants to do all the kids gifts on "easter" (one step at a time is good).

I have been praying about not celebrating this for years and he has agreed not to! We are going to give the kids gifts on easter still but at least i am out of one holiday. maybe next year he will agree to scrap easter.

gotta keep prayin'... :prayer:

Tishri1

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2004
Southern California
✟324,584.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Godschosengirl said:
:clap:

My DH said we are not going to decorate, etc. on Christmas this year. He wants to do all the kids gifts on "easter" (one step at a time is good).

I have been praying about not celebrating this for years and he has agreed not to! We are going to give the kids gifts on easter still but at least i am out of one holiday. maybe next year he will agree to scrap easter.

gotta keep prayin'... :prayer:
Awesome news! This is truely exciting news! We do have to keep praying and not give up or loose hope!:clap:I remember the last Christmas we celebrated when my kids were tiny still, we have survived without it for 8 years now and enjoy the Hebraic Festivals just as well...My only regret is that more friends and family haven't joined us ...:clap:YET hehehe

Upvote 0

Tishri1

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2004
Southern California
✟324,584.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
:wave:
yod said:
I'll ah have ah ah blewwww, blewwww christmas ah ah without yewwwwww.....
Is that Yod with a tissue blowing his nose? I heard you were under the weather bro :sigh:... I've been praying for you and your family:wave:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

plum

my thoughts are free
Nov 30, 2003
✟48,380.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Today my family was making Christmas plans (we always have celebrated as a family somehow) and it was interesting... I felt no emotional connection to the holiday at all. They even commented on how "bland" I sounded when I spoke of it... now, I don't mean any disrespect to my family... but it was interesting. This is the first year I've felt like this.

So it turns out my sister and I will be flying to CA to be with our brother and very pregnant sister-in-law for that week. I'm so happy to be seeing family, but concerned about how it will go. They belong to a super-Baptist church (the kind where you go three times a week at the very least, and such) which, in itself, is nothing bad at all. But I felt very, very uncomfortable the last time I was there with them. And now that it will be a holiday season, I have no doubt we will be carted along with them three or four times during the week.... and I just feel kind of strange about it all.
I don't think any worse of anyone who lovingly celebrates the Messiah's birth on that day. If it is in the heart and the passion of the soul to grow closer to the L-rd, how can I think of myself any higher than they? I am not at all.
But it makes me cringe some to think of going back to that church again... so many times... afraid to offend my brother and sis-in-law or something.

Upvote 0

yod

the wandering goy
Sep 6, 2003
Dallas, TX
Visit site
✟1,749.00
Faith
Messianic
I'm not against Christmas necessarily...but it makes no sense to me knowing that it is a fabrication from the beginning. Something about that worshipping in "spirit and in truth" thing that bugs me now that I know God has ordained festivals which can not be commercialized...and have rich & deep spiritual significance.

ESPECIALLY compared to what we know as holidays.

There is nothing particularly wrong with birthday celebrations but they are a later European cultural thing which God didn't seem to put much emphasis on. Why not celebrate what He has told us to celebrate instead....or at least also?

I honestly don't see anything wrong with giving a spiritually different meaning for any HoliDay since all days belong to Him. Yet that shouldn't be done to the detriment of even being aware of the HolyDays which He has given us.

We should honestly recognize that Christmas and Easter are not really being done for "Him" as much as for ourselves. WE want a tradition. WE want a holiday. WE want His birthday to be Dec 25th.

His Birthday is more than adequately celebrated on Succot (Festival of Tabernacles) and His death/resurrection are supremely better celebrated by the Passover festivals (unleavened bread, pesach, firstfruits).

Shavuot (Day of Pentecost) is being celebrated by JEWS all over the world as one their biggest HolyDays and the church barely mentions it. How weird is that?
huh.gif

Who doesn't want a festival of rejoicing in the Lord?

rule #1 is that I don't ever want to beat anybody up over it either way. I only bring it up to show the questions I ask myself.

Upvote 0

Mary_Magdalene

AKA..Godschosengirl
Feb 3, 2004
✟30,328.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
My DH and I discuss these things alot. He doesn't feel that gentiles should celebrate any of the feasts-that they are for Jews only.

My point to my husband was this- If there is a question whether we should celebrate man made holidays or G-d made celebrations, I would rather err on the side of celebrating something that is G-d made vs. something that is not from G-d.

Reactions: Tishri1
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tishri1

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2004
Southern California
✟324,584.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
I agree with both of you....Christmas has become "Gramma's" holiday in our family...no one else cares about it except her. Sad but true, so we go to gramma's and eat on Dec 25th and talk (she plays chistmas music in the background) Watch HBO movies or something rented, and if she has any presents we open them...It you take away the presents and music it really is just another get together at grammas (she doesn't have a tree or anything).

We give her a gift on Hannukah and she does come sometimes but hasn't really been into it YET(I think this year will be different).

I don't have to put her down(and I never would she's adorable) but she is still hurt that Christmas doesn't mean anything to us anymore...I should point out to her that if she came on Hannukah she would get 8 evenings togethers with us instead of just 1....hmmmm that sounds nice:)

Upvote 0

Vaneeza Malkah

Baruch Hashem!
Aug 8, 2005
I am in the United States, but I support Israel
✟26,180.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
I don't have to put her down(and I never would she's adorable) but she is still hurt that Christmas doesn't mean anything to us anymore...I should point out to her that if she came on Hannukah she would get 8 evenings togethers with us instead of just 1....hmmmm that sounds nice:)

Good attitude Tishri! It's not easy when our husbands/loved ones don't agree, but I've been slowly learning to teach with silence :)

Upvote 0

plum

my thoughts are free
Nov 30, 2003
✟48,380.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
yod said:
I'm not against Christmas necessarily...but it makes no sense to me knowing that it is a fabrication from the beginning. Something about that worshipping in "spirit and in truth" thing that bugs me now that I know God has ordained festivals which can not be commercialized...and have rich & deep spiritual significance.

ESPECIALLY compared to what we know as holidays.

There is nothing particularly wrong with birthday celebrations but they are a later European cultural thing which God didn't seem to put much emphasis on. Why not celebrate what He has told us to celebrate instead....or at least also?

I honestly don't see anything wrong with giving a spiritually different meaning for any HoliDay since all days belong to Him. Yet that shouldn't be done to the detriment of even being aware of the HolyDays which He has given us.

We should honestly recognize that Christmas and Easter are not really being done for "Him" as much as for ourselves. WE want a tradition. WE want a holiday. WE want His birthday to be Dec 25th.

His Birthday is more than adequately celebrated on Succot (Festival of Tabernacles) and His death/resurrection are supremely better celebrated by the Passover festivals (unleavened bread, pesach, firstfruits).

Shavuot (Day of Pentecost) is being celebrated by JEWS all over the world as one their biggest HolyDays and the church barely mentions it. How weird is that?
huh.gif

Who doesn't want a festival of rejoicing in the Lord?

rule #1 is that I don't ever want to beat anybody up over it either way. I only bring it up to show the questions I ask myself.
wonderful thoughts, yod :hug: you have a wonderful perspective on things. refreshing.

Upvote 0