Aug 23, 2007
✟790,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
It was basically the music part that made me cringe so bad. I can't believe how different this parish was than the other parishes I've attended (I went to this parish because I missed confession at the parish I wanted to go to, and this parish had confession at least after Mass). If you want to give a great example of whatever is wrong with the music in today's Catholic churches, this is a standout example. Clapping during the Gloria, oh my gosh. Trying to jazz the Gloria up to make it "soul" sounding - OK maybe that belongs in a different denomination, but I was taken aback. I'm not trying to be legalistic here, but this is just something that Catholic parishes are not known for. How can the Diocesan Cathedral be SO DARNED DIFFERENT THAN THIS?

Homily was great though - thank God, lol. Cantor, albeit CRINGE, was welcoming to me.
(Sorry, I hope I don't sound like a snob, lol)

Last edited:

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟104,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It was basically the music part that made me cringe so bad. I can't believe how different this parish was than the other parishes I've attended (I went to this parish because I missed confession at the parish I wanted to go to). If you want to give a great example of whatever is wrong with the music on today's Catholic churches, this is a standout example. Clapping during the Gloria, oh my gosh. Trying to jazz the Gloria up to make it "soul" sounding - OK maybe that belongs in a different denomination, but I was taken aback. I'm not trying to be legalistic here, but this is just something that Catholic parishes are not known for. How can the Diocesan Cathedral be SO DARNED DIFFERENT THAN THIS?

Homily was great though - thank God, lol. Cantor, albeit CRINGE, was welcoming to me.
Well, some Catholic churches are trying to appeal to younger audiences. Yes, the clapping at your service was a little excessive, but my Catholic church used piano and soft acoustic guitar for the Easter Vigil, instead of the organ (no clapping thankfully).

• Informative
Reactions: Lady Bug
Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Thankful For My Confirmation
Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟790,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I know what you mean. I think it’s a shame they did away with the Latin language and the organ.
Even though I'm a sucker for organ, the hymns can still be sung reverently in the vernacular IMHO but what I saw today was something different.

Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟790,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
A part of me wishes I didn't make this thread, because I don't want to appear legalistic and snobbish or anything. People do have a right to want to go back to the old times and there isn't a day that I don't think it myself, but I also have to remind myself that when Jesus performed the first Mass with his disciples, the room he was in might have looked like your granny's attic.

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟248,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
A part of me wishes I didn't make this thread, because I don't want to appear legalistic and snobbish or anything. People do have a right to want to go back to the old times and there isn't a day that I don't think it myself, but I also have to remind myself that when Jesus performed the first Mass with his disciples, the room he was in might have looked like your granny's attic.
Good point!

You do have a valid point though! If Jesus is truly present in the Eucharist, which he is, we must make everything very beautiful for him, in my opinion.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,247,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
It was basically the music part that made me cringe so bad. I can't believe how different this parish was than the other parishes I've attended (I went to this parish because I missed confession at the parish I wanted to go to, and this parish had confession at least after Mass). If you want to give a great example of whatever is wrong with the music in today's Catholic churches, this is a standout example. Clapping during the Gloria, oh my gosh. Trying to jazz the Gloria up to make it "soul" sounding - OK maybe that belongs in a different denomination, but I was taken aback. I'm not trying to be legalistic here, but this is just something that Catholic parishes are not known for. How can the Diocesan Cathedral be SO DARNED DIFFERENT THAN THIS?

(Sorry, I hope I don't sound like a snob, lol)
I am a liturgical music snob. It is a penance to endure some music. You are not alone in that.

• Agree
Reactions: Lady Bug
Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟74,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Well, some Catholic churches are trying to appeal to younger audiences. Yes, the clapping at your service was a little excessive, but my Catholic church used piano and soft acoustic guitar for the Easter Vigil, instead of the organ (no clapping thankfully).
Why because they mean what they say instead of just repeating words? Catholics try to avoid calling themselves charismatic and some do leave the catholic church for another denomination that has more zeal and gets more excited. You do not think the church should try to accommodate them a little to keep them from leaving? Usually they have different services for the different ways people want to worship.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟104,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why because they mean what they say instead of just repeating words? Catholics try to avoid calling themselves charismatic and some do leave the catholic church for another denomination that has more zeal and gets more excited. You do not think the church should try to accommodate them a little to keep them from leaving? Usually they have different services for the different ways people want to worship.
Well, are you Catholic? This is the Catholic subforum (OBOB), my bud.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,730,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is a Catholic Charismatic Movement within the RCC.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,730,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

• Informative
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,247,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
There is a limit to accommodation. We have a lot of accommodation as it is, and a lot of it is not healthy. Jesus is Lord, as in King. We should be seeking His will and not what pleases us.

Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟790,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I know that the world doesn't revolve around me but some people like me do not want to "get excited" by music. I'm easily triggered by the wrong kind of music (fortunately though, I didn't get triggered by yesterday's Mass' music, I just didn't like it though). I need music that will level out my emotions and help my mind from wandering in the wrong directions. I almost can't even listen to music anymore unless it's while being at Mass, or Gregorian Chant in the car. Something seems to have happened to my brain such that I can only handle certain music, and whatever that music is has become limited in scope (although if I were told I could only listen to Gregorian Chant for the rest of my life and no other music, I would be fine with that - I know that may be weird to most people but oh well).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums