sadmom81087

Apr 11, 2016
Canada
✟7,611.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My husband and I have been fighting a lot. He is a preacher who wants to do missionary work in countries that are not the safest for women and children. He knows before I met him I had always planned to live on my family land near my siblings and parents and grandparents. I left my family to go help teach gods word with him . To him that does not seem to be enough. I have to keep on be willing to give up more and more. He has been talking about places like Africa and ask me if he moved me somewhere like that if I would still respect him. I told him I would try. Apparently that was the wrong answer. He is furious saying that me respecting him comes with terms. I told him I would try my best because he knows that's a place I am scared to go with our children but that's not enough for him. I don't understand how I'm supposed to just automatically be happy with these decisions. What should I do?

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My husband and I have been fighting a lot. He is a preacher who wants to do missionary work in countries that are not the safest for women and children. He knows before I met him I had always planned to live on my family land near my siblings and parents and grandparents. I left my family to go help teach gods word with him . To him that does not seem to be enough. I have to keep on be willing to give up more and more. He has been talking about places like Africa and ask me if he moved me somewhere like that if I would still respect him. I told him I would try. Apparently that was the wrong answer. He is furious saying that me respecting him comes with terms. I told him I would try my best because he knows that's a place I am scared to go with our children but that's not enough for him. I don't understand how I'm supposed to just automatically be happy with these decisions. What should I do?
Hi there; good to see you on the forums.

In a marriage, where both profess to love and trust the Lord Jesus, the honour of the Lord Whom we love comes first. In a marriage when from the outset it has been known that some rather specific forms of Christian service were countenanced, then the mutual support for common aims (Amos 3.3: "Can two walk together, except they be agreed?) is very much part of this.

As we get older, and as Christian service develops in its scope, we see new horizons and possibilities; but the original spiritual commonality of aims are still there, presumably.

What Christian couples need above all to do is maintain communication with one another, making prayer and Bible reading a daily, shared joyful habit.

On a personal note, at my age now I have had so many unforeseen changes of direction that all we can do is make sure we are trusting the Lord day by day and learn to say: 'Thy will be done'.

Blessings.

Last edited:
Reactions: sadmom81087
Upvote 0