Visit site
✟7,644.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Okay, so there's this guy I like, and I would talk to my family about it, and when I started to sort of stress about it, I prayed that night, and the next day, I found out he liked me back through a mutual friend. So a few days pass and he asked me out. We went out, had a good time, BUT, he's not Christian. He said he doesn't NOT believe either, and says he's open to religions. And he does smoke pot on a occasion, and drinks a bit... so there's an issue there. But I wonder if God wants me to try to bring this guy closer to him or something. I'd like to try, but I also don't want to start liking this guy more if he has no interest in what I believe or if there's no chance of him becoming a Christian.

Then not too long ago, I see a photo with a posting on Facebook from John Hagee Ministries, (and I don't even have that page liked) but it says "When something comes easily to you, it is your gift. Use it to help others and honor God." (a quote by Diana Hagee). So its all kind of weird.

But what I'm needing advice with is I'm not sure what to do or think. Like I said, I'd like to help this guy find God, but I can't exactly ask him to go to church with me since we've only been on one date, and don't know each other all that well, but I also don't want to start liking him more if he won't convert, or has no interest in it. I know I should just ride it out, but I'm just wondering if you guys could maybe give me some advice on this... not to mention, I don't know how I'd begin to talk about God with him.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read this.

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
A lot of Christians have started a relationship with an unbeliever wanting to lead them to Christ. Some have converted, some haven't and some have faked conversion to get a girl to marry them and then dropped out of church activities. We don't know the future so we don't know what he will do.

I'm all for you trying to win him to Christ. I suggest that you need to have a conversation about this topic with him. If there is a topic i feel uncomfortable having or want to avoid having I know that that is the conversation I need to have. I think this is one you need to have with him. He wouldn't know how much you love Jesus and are concern about the things of God if you don't talk to him about it.

Upvote 0

rick357

bond-slave
Jul 23, 2014
✟12,138.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
We are never to join ourselves to an unbeliever and as Im sure you know a acceptance that Jesus loves us died for us and should be honored is far from believing in him....the scripture says if we believe in our heart and confess with our mouth Jesus Christ is Lord we shall be saved...lord means master...not just someone I dont reject....honestly this standered should include our friends also not just a potential spouse.
As to witnessing whatever the Lord has changed in you and made alive in you is the only thing that people will believe...so let them see you and how you feel about the Lord...be honest with this person tell them your concernes and your convictions...if they truely like you they will understand...if they get upset they had wrong intentions anyway

Upvote 0

rick357

bond-slave
Jul 23, 2014
✟12,138.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I thought about it, and I can't help but think I'm supposed to try. I don't know.

The scripture tells us their is wisdomin multitude of council...three responces all say date not good idea...witness for the Lord good
But in the end you must walk in your own shoes

Upvote 0

akmom

Jun 13, 2012
U.S.
✟23,005.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
When I was younger and in college, I met a few guys who were fascinated by the idea of a good Christian girl. Not because they were interested in Christ, but because they were intrigued by the novelty of a devout Christian girl. I never personally tried to pursue a relationship with any, but I did find that they'd feign interest when I talked to them about Christ, and then get pushy for a date. As soon as they realized it wasn't going to become physical, they'd quit feigning interest. I think it's a dangerous place to go, in terms of trying to lead someone to Christ through a romantic relationship.

The problem with being young and single is that there is a strong tendency toward attraction, and much less tendency to wariness. Being attracted to someone is not a "sign" of anything. It's a very natural emotion to have in the "single and looking" stage of life. Be careful not to read more into things than there really is.

Upvote 0

rick357

bond-slave
Jul 23, 2014
✟12,138.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
When I was younger and in college, I met a few guys who were fascinated by the idea of a good Christian girl. Not because they were interested in Christ, but because they were intrigued by the novelty of a devout Christian girl. I never personally tried to pursue a relationship with any, but I did find that they'd feign interest when I talked to them about Christ, and then get pushy for a date. As soon as they realized it wasn't going to become physical, they'd quit feigning interest. I think it's a dangerous place to go, in terms of trying to lead someone to Christ through a romantic relationship.

The problem with being young and single is that there is a strong tendency toward attraction, and much less tendency to wariness. Being attracted to someone is not a "sign" of anything. It's a very natural emotion to have in the "single and looking" stage of life. Be careful not to read more into things than there really is.

Not only is this type of thing seldom of use to the one who needs Christ but very dangerous for the believer....if you take a piece of fruit that is breaking down and put a healthy piece beside it will the good make the bad healthy never...but what will happen is the good will be corrupted....this is trap of a situation like this..we are to witness yes....but our witness is only effective if those we witness to are activley seeking for the Lord....and if that is the case a conversation will do..no date necessary
We can not break what we are told in the word to do and excuss it with something else from scripture...we are told not to join ourselves to the unbeliever....so you can not date them period...if you do ..since God with holds no good thing it will turn out to be a bad thing....witnessing never requires dating...Did Jesus date those he witnessed to...no...he offered himself to all but his relationships were with those who had trusted in him.

Upvote 0