Illinois
✟176,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I did great in high school, and had even the option to skip a year. I really wanted to graduate early but I knew once I did my mom would of been on top of me and wouldn't give me time to decide on what to do on the next stage of my life.

They want me to make the decision instantly, I don't get time to think and plan things out. It's always has to be an instant decision which I know from experience ends up in a disaster.

So my options the moment I graduated immediately get a job, immediately go to college, or immediately enlist in the military.

I don't have everything figured out, and I need time to do so.

I try having an intelligent conversation with them and they are unable to have one with me.

My parents didn't go to college, and had a very low quality of education (They are both immigrants). At age 16 my intelligence and education has surpassed that of my parents.

• Prayers
Reactions: anna ~ grace

miknik5

"Let not your heart be troubled"
Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I did great in high school, and had even the option to skip a year. I really wanted to graduate early but I knew once I did my mom would of been on top of me and wouldn't give me time to decide on what to do on the next stage of my life.

They want me to make the decision instantly, I don't get time to think and plan things out. It's always has to be an instant decision which I know from experience ends up in a disaster.

So my options the moment I graduated immediately get a job, immediately go to college, or immediately enlist in the military.

I try having an intelligent conversation with them and they are unable to have one with me.

My parents didn't go to college, and had a very low quality of education (They are both immigrants). At age 16 my intelligence and education has surpassed that of my parents.
What do you mean when you stated your mom would be on top of you and that your parents would want you to make a decision immediately?

You say your parents are not educated, yet by what you are saying it seems to me that they are looking out for you and believe your education is priority and very important

This is no different than most caring parents.

What is it that you want to do that is different from this

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
If you're in your twenties you've gotta start working on something. As one poet put it:

"I'd rather be workin' for a paycheck than waitin' to win the lottery."

Meaning, it would be a mistake to waste away the precious time that you have now when you could be investing it in any number of fruitful directions. By the time you're in your 30s and potentially have a family you're going to want to be making MONEY. So what are you going to do now in order to set yourself up for that?

Upvote 0

JohnB445

Aug 24, 2018
Illinois
✟176,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well you don't have to have everything in your whole life sorted out. You just have to come up with a good plan for right now.

What interests you?

Many things interest me. I can see myself being anything. A teacher, a leader, a doctor, an engineer.

I just don't know what to choose, there are so many paths I am overwhelmed.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Many things interest me. I can see myself being anything. A teacher, a leader, a doctor, an engineer.

You will feel less overwhelmed once you choose a path. You're experiencing what the existentialists called angst. You see the dozens of doors that are open in front of you but you're paralyzed with fear because you know that once you walk through one door it means the closing of the other doors forever. It looks terrifying from the perspective of one who hasn't walked through a door yet.

But once you commit to a particular direction you'll feel fine! Angst will go away.

• Friendly
Reactions: JohnB445
Upvote 0

JohnB445

Aug 24, 2018
Illinois
✟176,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What do you mean when you stated your mom would be on top of you and that your parents would want you to make a decision immediately?

You say your parents are not educated, yet by what you are saying it seems to me that they are looking out for you and believe your education is priority and very important

This is no different than most caring parents.

What is it that you want to do that is different from this

I have 1 month to decide on a path, once that month is up I have a few options which is either, work, college, military, or I must leave the house.

I almost chose to join the military unprepared at age 18, which I am glad I steered towards college since I needed time to grow and mature.

Upvote 0

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Ok. Not every college bound student has declared their major. You can begin as undeclared and take your electives and a few core business classes. You have about two years during your four years to declare your major.

Upvote 0

JohnB445

Aug 24, 2018
Illinois
✟176,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Ok. Not every college bound student has decided their major You canbtaj

But they are only giving me 1 chance, once I pick my major they won't let me change it. So I have to decide soon.

• Prayers
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have 1 month to decide on a path, once that month is up I have a few options which is either, work, college, military, or I must leave the house.

I almost chose to join the military unprepared at age 18, which I am glad I steered towards college since I needed time to grow and mature.
How old are you now.

Upvote 0

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But they are only giving me 1 chance, once I pick my major they won't let me change it. So I have to decide soon.
Have you decided on the college you will be attending? And has your parents attended an open house with you. Can you talk to admittance with your parents present the path an undeclared student will take? Are they aware that not all HS Seniors declare their major in their first year?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican

Well, all of those paths that are of interest to you need a college degree. Most colleges have general education requirements that everybody has got to finish before working on their major. So you could go ahead, start college, work on those classes while deciding what you want to major in.

• Agree
Reactions: miknik5
Upvote 0

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

What have you been doing up til now? I thought you were just graduating from HS but I see now that you are 21. What were you doing for the 3 years after HS?

I’m not judging you but don’t you see that your parents are looking out for you and want you to move forward in life

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JohnB445

Aug 24, 2018
Illinois
✟176,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes we have decided but it was a quick decision, basically, the closest university that is nearby, we have not attended an open house. I am sure we can talk to an admittance, and they are not aware about declaring a major.

I just decided to go to a university and major in something random, and I still live at home.

The past 2 years I was working on my associate's degree, then this year I decided to take some more courses in a business field.

After school, I would do my homework and study when I got home.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

You know what's best for you.

Don't let others dictate your life to you.

Upvote 0