• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

I admit to complaining often about this issue...

Lik3

Nov 21, 2011
South Carolina
✟94,571.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Being overweight.
This is different from the rest. I am overweight and I am a diabetic so I am not sure if there is something obsessive or compulsion about my weight issues. On the other hand, some of my habits do follow an obsessive pattern and I do have a major fear or two. I fear eating too much and actually gaining so much weight my health problems will worsen. It doesn't seem to be a big fear but I have been heavy most of my life and now I am even heavier. I am stressed out because even though I have lost weight, I gained nearly all of it back and now I am starting all over again. I don't wish to weigh anymore than I have now and I feel like giving up even when I was in a weight loss plateau. I failed to realize that a plateau is an indication that I am doing something right and that I need to change my routine a bit. I also fear continuing to binge on food and drink. In other words, I sometimes eat mindlessly and my eating is out of control.

11/7 How do I do what is hard? That is a question I have been trying to figure out. Maybe it is best that I don't figure it out.I am not sure what exactly to fix tomorrow, but I realize that I cook and eat way too much food. That is one way I can make it easier. I can also store up some of the foods as leftovers instead of throwing them away. That too will help.I guess that there are a lot of ways I can do to make life easier for me. All I have to do is not allow any frustration to get to me.
11/6 My real problem is that I have not taken better care of myself. I am ashamed of logging in my food and drink intake. I eat too much processed and unhealthy foods in larger amounts than I should have. I do this instead of eating in moderation. There are quite a few things that I need to improve upon, but I didn't realize how hard it is to apply. Applying myself is doing what is hard.
11/5 I need to do research on why I binge. Maybe research is not the best word to use, but I have an issue with how I eat. I need help. I don't feel guilty about what I eat. I need to do a better job of planning my meals. The problem is, there is so much frustration I feel like giving up. What is my problem?

Homework Assignment: Binge Eating Confession

Homework Assignment: Who am I really?

Gail Gerald's Musings: An issue of weight and health

Gail Gerald's Musings: My thoughts about weight

Gail Gerald's Musings: The fat and thin of it

Gail Gerald's Musings: Dieting Quotes

Gail Gerald's Musings: Power and control

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
:wave: I am a diabetic too, and have struggled with being overweight to one extent or another most of my life. One of my problems is not with food portions, but the kinds of food I will and will not eat. When I was diagnosed with diabetes seven years ago, it felt like a death sentence, because nearly all of the foods I eat, have sugar in them, or carbs that turn into sugar. I did and have taken measures to reduce my sugar intake, like using splenda instead of sugar, and often passing on sweets at birthday parties and holidays and other occasions. I try to always be mindful of where my blood sugars are at, and I can literally feel the differences, and if I overdo it, I usually pay for with stomach cramping resulting in having to use the restroom, the medications cause my body to be intolerant to sugars at a certain point, so the body pushes them out. Exercise is also important, and if I could, I would do it on a regular basis, but my life situation just does not allow for much of it, at least for now. Hypertension is also something to watch out for, I had a heart attack a year after being diagnosed with diabetes, and that is what really got me serious about taking better care of myself, I almost died from not taking care, from giving up and letting things go wherever. Whatever you do, do not give up, we all experience failures, but have to get back up and keep fighting this disease for as long as God wills us to.

• Agree
Reactions: Lik3
Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
The reason that you overeat is that is that sugar is the drug of your choice. You are overdosing every time you eat more calories than you need to function (note: need, not want). To stop this, you have to face this reality. You also need to address the issue in your life that makes you need to "overdose" in a food coma to cover the hurt/sadness/stresser in your life. I would suggest that you consider counseling...not about eating but rather facing what it is in your past or future that you are not facing.

You also need to change how you look at food. It isn't about "joy", "love", or "happiness". It is fuel for your body and shouldn't have any significant emotion associated with it. You need to find a replacement activity for when you crave food that isn't necessary for your existence. Grab a big glass of water and write in a journal, draw a picture, pick up a book, take a walk around the block. Only eat when you are scheduled to eat. And measure your portions...don't base it on your emotional hunger, instead of physical hunger. When you have eaten a normal portion, you are done. Find another recreation activity. Food isn't supposed to be a recreation but that is what it becomes after we have eaten a normal share.

This isn't really about the food. It is about using food to bury a heart problem. Until you address the heart problem, the eating and weight will continue to be an issue.

As far as the food, set little goals and celebrate (without food) reaching each milestone...and immediately set a new one. This is about baby steps forward. Food can not be the focus of your day. Preplan your meals...maybe even cook for several days at one time and freeze a health portion for each meals so that there just isn't any extra food to each when you sit down to each.

I wish you peace as you go on a self-discovery on why you use food to hide behind. And celebrate the delicate woman that you will find as you stop over medicating the emotional pain. God loves you as you are...now it is time for you to also learn to love that woman, and take care of her recognizing that she is the precious daughter of the King. Take care of her like she is the princess that she is..instead of abusing her by overfeeding her so that she can't participate fully in life and isn't a good representative of her loving Father.

Obsessive habits usually point at high levels of anxiety...and the habit is used to "control" the anxiety.

(Hugs)

• Winner
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Being overweight.
This is different from the rest. I am overweight and I am a diabetic so I am not sure if there is something obsessive or compulsion about my weight issues. On the other hand, some of my habits do follow an obsessive pattern and I do have a major fear or two.

Eliminate carbs and focus on proteins for the
first 6 hours of the day and no carbs for the
last 6 hours of the day.
Outside of that you can eat normally.
Do this and you will gain the option of wearing trimmer clothes.

• Agree
Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Being overweight.
This is different from the rest. I am overweight and I am a diabetic so I am not sure if there is something obsessive or compulsion about my weight issues. On the other hand, some of my habits do follow an obsessive pattern and I do have a major fear or two. I fear eating too much and actually gaining so much weight my health problems will worsen. It doesn't seem to be a big fear but I have been heavy most of my life and now I am even heavier. I am stressed out because even though I have lost weight, I gained nearly all of it back and now I am starting all over again. I don't wish to weigh anymore than I have now and I feel like giving up even when I was in a weight loss plateau. I failed to realize that a plateau is an indication that I am doing something right and that I need to change my routine a bit. I also fear continuing to binge on food and drink. In other words, I sometimes eat mindlessly and my eating is out of control.

11/7 How do I do what is hard? That is a question I have been trying to figure out. Maybe it is best that I don't figure it out.I am not sure what exactly to fix tomorrow, but I realize that I cook and eat way too much food. That is one way I can make it easier. I can also store up some of the foods as leftovers instead of throwing them away. That too will help.I guess that there are a lot of ways I can do to make life easier for me. All I have to do is not allow any frustration to get to me.
11/6 My real problem is that I have not taken better care of myself. I am ashamed of logging in my food and drink intake. I eat too much processed and unhealthy foods in larger amounts than I should have. I do this instead of eating in moderation. There are quite a few things that I need to improve upon, but I didn't realize how hard it is to apply. Applying myself is doing what is hard.
11/5 I need to do research on why I binge. Maybe research is not the best word to use, but I have an issue with how I eat. I need help. I don't feel guilty about what I eat. I need to do a better job of planning my meals. The problem is, there is so much frustration I feel like giving up. What is my problem?

Homework Assignment: Binge Eating Confession

Homework Assignment: Who am I really?

Gail Gerald's Musings: An issue of weight and health

Gail Gerald's Musings: My thoughts about weight

Gail Gerald's Musings: The fat and thin of it

Gail Gerald's Musings: Dieting Quotes

Gail Gerald's Musings: Power and control
I seem to have my weight under control. I would make these suggestions to people who are trying to lose weight: First, don't starve yourself, because if you do, you'll only get really hungry and eat a lot more than you would have. Second, stay away from sugar. Sugar has almost no nutritional value whatsoever. I would make an exception for milk. Milk has a lot of sugar, but it also has a lot of protein. And third, keep your fat intake in moderation.

Upvote 0